“Potential Bed Bug Problem”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just checked-out today after a 2-night stay for the Portland marathon, along with several friends. A couple of us (staying in seperate, non-adjacent rooms, all on the 2nd floor) have the same, small red bites on our legs and arms. They look alarmingly like bed bug bites. We are disinfecting our clothes and have notified the hotel management, but wanted to alert potential visitors asap.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sarah R
Timothy H, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

We are sorry that you feel you experienced this while staying with us. We have had a thorough inspection completed by a licensed professional and there was no indication of any pests or bed bugs in either of these rooms. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My overall stay was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and smelled fresh. I enjoyed the complementary breakfast too. I would definitely return the next time i'm in town.

1  Thank kristina m
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Nice people,clean room with good beds,dog friendly and value priced .Stayed two days one week and returned the next week for two more days. 5 minutes from the center of town and convenient to 295 .Would recommend this to anyone traveling on a budget. Free hot breakfast and GOOD coff

1  Thank 201Flyawayhome
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Overall my room was clean and comfortable. The bed had a pillowtop mattress with plenty of pillows which made for a good night's sleep.

I did notice a few stray hairs on the bathroom counter which makes me think housekeeping just gave it a quick wipe down and that was it. I checked in slightly early, at 2pm, and overheard the front desk clerk begging housekeeping to get the rooms done.

The hotel is in a decent area but is a few blocks from downtown. There is an outdoor pool which is open during the summer. There's also a McDonalds around the corner, which was convenient since I didn't want to drive during rush hour.

Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I made a trip up to Portland last night. The La Quinta was recommended by a friend - we knew it wasn't close to downtown, but was told it was clean and a good value. Upon arriving at the hotel we were quickly checked into our room. As soon as I entered the room I noticed everything was outdated, cheap looking and dirty. There were hairs in the bathtub and the bathroom obviously had not been cleaned. I called the front desk and they moved us to another room. I quickly glanced at the new bathroom and it looked better but not great - we had plans and needed to leave immediately. Upon returning to the hotel after 11pm, my husband decided to take a shower - where he found a used breath right strip on the soap shelf in the shower. So obviously that one hadn't been cleaned either. When I called the front desk they did not offer any help or suggestions. We would have left right then had it not been so late. At check out when I informed the desk agent of our problems and all she said was "well what do you want me to do for you?". We were offered half off the room after refusing to pay the full amount. I went to college for hospitality and have been working in hotels for 8 years and have never seen anything like this. The housekeeping staff is careless and the front desk has to take the rap for it. This hotel is a disgrace, and I highly recommend never ever staying here. I will pay the extra $150 to stay at the Hilton downtown anyway over this dirty hotel hell.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel is fine for the price. Nothing overly fancy, but a fine place to come back to after a day of sightseeing. Rooms were clean and seemed to be recently renovated. It was about a 10 minute drive to the old port/waterfront area, and 15 minutes to the Portland Head Lighthouse. Complementary breakfast served until 9am (10am on weekends). If you miss breakfast there is a McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts, and Denny's a few minutes away. Parking in the waterfront area was congested, and had to pay around $10 each time. Would definitely stay there again.

2  Thank anthonyh41
Reviewed September 8, 2012

All the B&B's were booked, so we had to stay in a hotel - this was closest to where we needed to be, so we booked. Check-in and out were friendly and efficient. Our room seemed fairly recently renovated and had all the amenities we needed. We encountered no noise issues, but another guest mentioned a loud party on the floor above us. The breakfast room was small and crowded but the woman in charge was constantly busy cleaning tables and replenishing the standard breakfast items. Perhaps another waffle maker would have eased the crush. The only issue was my fault. I parked in an area with overhanging trees and my car was covered in sap by the morning. I'd stay here again - check their website to book. It was cheaper than the big general booking websites.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple