“Clean Comfortable Room”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We booked this hotel because of the reasonable price, close to town of Portland, ME and reviews on tripadvisor. We stayed one night on our way to Bar Harbor. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and breakfast was good. We loved the hot waffles and assortment of yogurts and fruit. We checked out at 5:30AM and breakfast and hot coffee were available. The room smelled of air-freshener. We opened the window for a few hours and when we came back into the room it was fine; I am not sure why they use so much air-freshener. The hotel rents parking spots to folks attending events at the Sea Dogs stadium, a three minute walk from the hotel, so it was noisy in the parking lot form 9-10PM. I would stay and also recommend to anyone who wants a clean, reasonably priced hotel in Portland ME.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gershwin12

Reviewed August 17, 2011

Thankfully we were only here for one day. If not I would have rather slept in my car than stay here. There was hair in our shower and the room smelled of pet odor covered up by Lysol. We checked out the fitness room which was a treadmill, a bike and weights. I was going to use the bike but there was a cigarette butt in it, which led me to believe this hadn't been cleaned in who knows how long. The location was also not great. While it was only 5 minutes by car from Old Port, it was in a seedy area and not somewhere that you could walk around to things. The only positive thing I can say was that the staff was very nice. But that doesn't make up for how gross the place was. I wouldn't send my worst enemy here.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank vix814
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My husband booked this through hotwire and when I read the tripadvisor.com reviews I was very concerned. Nevertheless, I promised him I would take a look before canceling the booking. Upon check-in, I raised my concerns with the front desk staff and showed them the trip advisor reviews. The head of housekeeping, Robbin, was there and was shocked to read the feedback. She said she would address the other travelers concerns immediately but said it was hard to fix the specific concerns because none of the guest leaving negative feedback had raised their concerns with her. It's difficult to address complaints if one doesn't know about them! Note to travelers-tell the hotel about concerns, not just the trip advisor site.
Other people's concerns aside, our room was simple but very clean. The beds very comfortable. We got the extra towels and blankets that we asked for for our 5-person family. The breakfast next morning (included in the price of the stay) was very good for a basic hotel with healthy options like yoghurt, fresh fruit, healthy cereal and eggs, as well as other options like fresh made waffles, bagels, and muffins. The coffee was pretty good!

I would definitely stay here again. Robbin said she would share the trip advisor feedback with the housekeeping staff so they could work on improvements.

As far as cleanliness goes, the public toilet next to the elevator could have used a good scrub but the hotel was also completely sold out and therefore very busy. The only real concern I had was the fact that the hotel does not have a recycling program me so I had to watch the front desk clerk throw my stack of newspapers into the garbage and All the plastic and styrofoam from the breakfast room be tossed out as well! This is definitely an area where their management could take a leadership position, start recycling, and potentially influence other hotels to do the same!

3  Thank Mayameisje
Reviewed August 11, 2011

initially i was very pleased with this hotel. The bed is comfortable the shower good. However a train running right along side it woke me when i asked to change rooms the girl t the desk was very blase saying well the other side has trucks constantly so like it's one or the other and the train is only intermittent. OK so i know i will be awakened by a train at 0600 and again at 0700 ( if i am lucky enough to get back to sleep) Also when i asked the girl at the desk if there was a grocery store or a shop i could buy some snacks she directed me to McDonalds and Duncan Donuts. (On my own i found a mini grocery store about 2 blocks away) SO the desk help is extremely LACKING in customer service. I had also asked to extend my stay a night and she only had a handicap room which she would not even ask the manager if he would negotiate a rate with me. NO customer service. Also by 1 pm it was apparent the poor house keeper had too many rooms to do my himself so I told him not to do my room i felt so bad for him....AND the breakfast room is so crowded in the morning there is no where to sit and i MEAN no where people were just waiting to get their food and taking it up to their rooms. And again only one lady working the breakfast room refilling takin out the garbage this place needs to hire more help ( especially sine they rakin in the dollars with no negotiating skills. I am looking for another hotel right now to stay the remaining 2 nights of my stay in Maine.

1  Thank linda923
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Front desk was the best part of the stay. Soft beds, terrible amenities less than adequate space for breakfast for the guest capacity. Must drive to everything. Neighborhoo, so so.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed one night (Saturday) at the La Quinta in Portland; we'd previously stayed at the Howard Johnson (Riverside Street) but it was >$200 a night when we were looking to come to Portland, so we checked out alternatives. The La Quinta was not cheap but it was less than the HoJo, and we were happy that it was closer to downtown than the Howard Johnson.

There were no problems with check-in -- we showed up, did the requisite paperwork, and were in our room in <10 minutes. We took our dogs with us, and the person at the front desk provided some unsolicited but helpful advice about where to walk them which was cool. There was no deposit or fee for having our dogs with us.

The hotel room was fine -- not flashy, but there was nothing wrong with it. It was clean, bed was comfortable, TV worked, there was an iron and coffee maker.

There is an outdoor pool that we did not use (there were a TON of kids and families enjoying the pool, though.) Obviously, the pool would be closed in the winter. Of note, the fitness room is miniscule. There is a treadmill, an exercycle, and a sort of weird weight machine that I didn't try to use. At least nobody was in it on a Sunday morning. Finally, the breakfast buffet was HOPPIN' Sunday morning. We didn't partake, but it was packed to the gills with families and lots and lots of kids. The food smelled good, but as it was so crowded and as we had breakfast plans, we skipped it.

All in all, the La Quinta worked for me. I'd go back.

2  Thank jbricha1
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We booked here as it was hard to find any vacancies down town Portland in July! We were pleasantly surprised, the room was very clean and a good size. Staff were friendly and the included breakfast was great.. Only drawback was you need to drive to town (about 2 miles) Near the sea Dogs Stadium, a park and a few family restaurants. We will definitely stay there again, 1/2 the price or more than the city and waterfront hotels.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family