“A must in Portland!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hot Suppa
Ranked #15 of 601 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The menu at Hot Suppa is all made from scratch from quality ingredients; local goods are used whenever possible. Our renowned breakfast and lunch are served seven days a week, so you can get that corned beef hash fix whenever you’re jonesing. Dinner is available five nights a week, featuring our favorite dishes, like fried chicken & a waffle, falafel salad, and Maine oysters on the half shell. We offer a full bar service if you care to relax into the evening with a Porch Swing cocktail, or recover in the morning with a spicy Bloody Mary or cold draft beer.
Boston, MA
“A must in Portland!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Before we traveled to Portland, we had heard wonderful things about this place. I am very happy to say that everything we read was absolutely true!!

We stopped by for a mid-week breakfast. Even during the middle of the week, there was a short wait. It's a small restaurant, but apparently, very popular. The wait was not long at all and the waitstaff was very friendly.

Got a window seat, which was very nice. The coffee was excellent and came quickly.

We had 3 people in our party; one was a child. He got a delicious looking waffle, which was gone in about 3 minutes! One person got eggs and the hash, which we had heard wonderful things about. The eggs looked delicious and velvety (how do they do that??). He was extremely pleased. I got the fruit plate, which was HUGE. It came with yogurt and a delicious homemade granola. Also, I had to get a side of toast because it just looked so yummy -- and it was!!

Sad that we had a short stay because I bet this place has delicious lunch and dinner items.

This place is a MUST in Portland.

• Visited June 2011

Monmouth, ME
“Crowded and noisy but oh what a brunch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Yes it's crowded - our table was tiny and wedged into a corner so tightly that I could barely more my left arm. And it's noisy - had trouble hearing the server read the specials. But the food was excellent. He had the chicken special (excellent), she had the fried green tomato BLT (to die for!). Like many other Portland restaurants, they try to use fresh, seasonal, local ingredients whenever possible. As other reviews have mentioned, this place is popular and at times the line goes out the door, so don't go if you aren't prepared to wait. The food is great but they really need a bigger place.

• Visited July 2011
Toledo, Ohio
“Excellent brunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

Used to come to the breakfast place 'Friendship Cafe,' returned to Portland 5 years later and discovered Hot Suppa. Different fare than its former self, but just as good! Had the Benny in June special and enjoyed every bite of the eggs benedict with pulled pork and fried green tomatoes - an interesting combo but was worth the risk! Still has excellent breakfast. I would walk if you can - it is an easy walk from the Old Port area - as parking is meter/street and can sometimes be limited. There was a short wait even at 11 on a Friday morning, and I've been told by locals if you want to go on a weekend you should plan to wait! Was worth every minute we waited though!

• Visited June 2011
Bangor, Maine
“Fantastic Spinach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

We had an hour for lunch on a Saturday in May, so we stopped at Hot Suppa. Having explained to the greeter that we had a time limit, we were seated at the counter. Menus and drinks arrived promptly. I chose the sampler platter which one can design themselves. My choices were tomato soup, macaroni and cheese and spinach. Companion ordered a salad plate. The food arrived quickly, considering that the place was packed. It's rare to find spinach cooked as expertly as this was, lightly sauteed in oil and fresh garlic. The macaroni and cheese and the tomato soup were also good; the soup could have been hotter but it was pleasantly mild and creamy.

Visited May 2011
Columbus, Ohio
“Run in the mill breakfast place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

Don't get me wrong. It's not as if the food was terrible, or the service was bad. It was more that I wasn't overly impressed. I felt that this place was "middle of the road" for lack of a better term. Granted maybe I didn't order the right meal (breakfast burrito) but it was so so. The menu selection was nice, and the ambiance was eclectic and funky but overall I felt kind of "meh" about it. I'm definitely willing to try it again to see if I ordered the wrong thing so don't take my review as the be all end all of reviews of Hot Suppa.

• Visited April 2011