“Very Good, But A Little Pricey”

The Grill Room and Bar
Ranked #54 of 642 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: If you’re looking for the best steakhouse in Portland, Maine you have come to the right place! The Grill Room features affordable, wood-fired, grilled steaks, delicious pizza and incredible seafood entrees the whole family will love.Chef Lee Harding has dedicated his life to the culinary arts and focuses on using grass fed beef & locally grown meats and produce in his creations. With high ceilings and a big, open kitchen, The Grill Room aims to please with more than just great food at affordable prices. If you have never been dining in Portland, Maine, it is quite an experience! There are so many restaurants to choose from that only award-winning restaurants, like The Grill Room, tend to stand out from the crowd.The Grill Room is the second restaurant founded in Harding’s “The Rooms” brand of restaurants. Since 2008, the Grill Room has been featured in many of Maine’s top publications as a “Best Bet” for Portland Maine food. Come in and try the now famous beef tartare, or a juicy wood-fired pizza or grilled steak. Open seven days a week, The Grill Room offers lunch and dinner selections with a healthy wine and drink list. Visit The Grill Room today and find out what a Portland, Maine steakhouse should be like.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've been to the Grill Room twice now, and have had good meals both times there. If John is working in the bar, ask for him, he will not steer you wrong.

On my first visit, I had a hanger steak, which was very, very good. On my second visit, they had a pork belly appetizer special, which was served with local goat cheese and a Dr. Pepper glaze. It was exquisite.

The only con is that even by Portland standards, I feel like the prices are a little high for what you get, even by the Old Port's somewhat spendy standards.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I won't return to the Grill Room or the owners' other restaurants, Corner Room and Front Room because of the lousy, at times mean and abusive, treatment of the staff that I have witnessed. It spoils enjoyment of the dining experience. And it's just not right. I won't dine there again.

2  Thank cathySoPo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went to Happy Hour at The Grill Room. And LOVED IT!!!! We sat at the Bar, I ordered a Chocolate Martini, which was to DIE for!!! The Bartender (with the amazing mustache) nailed this drink!!! (not all places know how to make the perfect Chocolate Martini :)
We had appetizers which was fantastic! The atmosphere is wonderful, and there was an aroma of buring wood in the restaurant... perrrffect for a cold winter day. The place is very nice, warm and the food and drinks are fantastic! We will definitely be back soon!!!!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went to the Grill Room for the first time with a group of four. Waitress was very nice and we had a great table next to one of the grills where we could see all the meats going on but surprisingly the vents were really good so we weren't smoked out.

We got a 37oz porterhouse and two fillets with sides of lobster mashed, garlic mashed, asparagus and cream spinach.

The steaks were all cooked perfectly and great that they are all from a local farm. The overall experience was better than NY steakhouses Keen's and Sparks. The two women aren't huge meat eaters but both loved their steaks which says a lot.

The lobster mashed was delicious whereas. The asparagus was a big too big and slightly undercooked for all of our tastes so probably wouldn't get that again.

Price isn't too bad but I'm uses to expensive CT/NY prices.

1  Thank TonyAlaimo
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went to the famous Grill Room, really after visiting the Corner Room I wanted to see what another or the Rooms was like. Different, more like what I would imagine a men's club might feel like but lively and fun. Without a doubt the best steak and side dishes I have had in Maine. This room reminds me of Sparks Steak House in NY City