“Pick up breakfast and bread for lunch”

Standard Baking Co.
Ranked #1 of 28 Bakeries in Portland
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Artisanal, European breads and pastries for takeaway. Slow-fermented, hand-crafted breads and classic pastries with a local twist, carefully prepared by our small crew of skilled bakers. Breakfast pastries, cookies, traditional baguettes, naturally-leavened organic breads made with local grains, seasonal and daily specials. We also provide limited seating outdoors seasonally.
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a great raspberry buckwheat muffin and (really good/chocolatey) iced coffee for breakfast and bought a seeded boule for sandwiches later.

There are newer reviews for Standard Baking Co.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Wow....just really GOOD! The baked goods, the workers, the customers.....it just worked well together. Don't miss this bakery....the cinnamon rolls are FANTASTIC.

Way to go Standard!!!

Reviewed August 2, 2014

The baked goods were okay but definitely not worth the wait. I went on a Saturday during August and the line was at least thirty people long. The croissant was good but there are a lot of other local bakeries that rival standard baking co.

1  Thank Hannah F
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Best bakery in Portland/S. Portland.
This unassuming bakery is tiny on the outside and delivers in a big way on the inside. The French pastries blew me away. Hard to find this side of the Atlantic, the pain au chocolat and vanilla madeleines taste like summer in Paris. At the same time, local ingredients scream Maine from the mouth-watering pastry counter. Plum tarts, blueberry scones, and other treats are baked in a straightforward, honest way. The treats are homey and have great depth of flavor - especially their blueberry items, which I have sampled many times.
Breads are breathtaking here. We bought a crust semolina with sesame seeds, but it was very hard to choose from the variety of artisan loaves and rolls.
Tucked away on Commercial Street, you owe it to yourself to taste Maine (and France) through these bakers' gifts.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We knew that we would try this bakery after the glowing reviews of others on Tripadvisor. This bakery is a little out of the way so you'll have to be clever. Standard Baking Company is situated close to the harbor so we took our treats to the water to watch the seals swim and the ferry dock. We ordered the Madelines, the chocolate croissant, the plum tart, lemon tart, and the cinnamon roll. My husband raved about the plum tart, especially the almond and butter crust. I preferred the cinnamon roll that was obviously baked in muffin tins. I was really hoping to get an almond croissant since I read so many positive reviews but sadly they were sold out the 2 times I came in. My suggestion? Get there early, try a few treats, and enjoy them near the water... You've gotta go there!