“Soooo good. Lots of treats to choose from.”

Standard Baking Co.
Ranked #1 of 28 Bakeries in Portland
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Artisanal, European breads and pastries for takeaway. Slow-fermented, hand-crafted breads and classic pastries with a local twist, carefully prepared by our small crew of skilled bakers. Breakfast pastries, cookies, traditional baguettes, naturally-leavened organic breads made with local grains, seasonal and daily specials. We also provide limited seating outdoors seasonally.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Great breads, pastries, cookies and tarts. So delicious. Opened early in the morning and also serves coffee. One stop shop.

There are newer reviews for Standard Baking Co.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

After checking out of our hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn, that was conveniently located steps away from this wondrous place, we stopped in to purchase fresh bread to bring home. What my fiance and I discovered immediately after walking through the front doors was a wonderland of carbohydrate delights. I purchased 2 Ham and Cheese Croissants which were perfectly flaky but still had some body to them as well as a pastry and a loaf of raisin bread. All were top quality and if it were up to me I would have purchased everything in sight but unfortunately that was not the case.

They have a plentiful selection of breads, pastries etc that seem to be as much of a hit with locals as with visitors, as I heard several customers in line behind me greeted by name. The staff was very nice and equally helpful and as other reviewers have said, they move quickly and efficiently. Two thumbs up!!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We spend a lot of time in Maine in the summer and had heard raves about this bakery, but we're out of the city and never get in first thing in the morning. Recently we were in Portland overnight and had a delicious bakery experience here. Sticky buns, croissants (choc and ham and cheese), french bread all fantastic. I wish I could have tried a little of everything. Friendly staff, quick service, get there early for best selection.Not really a place to hang out, more a store front with a few seats, but if you're walking by grab something. You won't regret it.

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

The blueberry scones are fantastic! My family and I enjoyed stopping here while on vacation. Everyone enjoyed either their brownies, scones or muffins.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We didn't feel like a sit down breakfast so we walked from hotel next door to this bakery. The smells were wonderful. We ordered croissants and a fruit basket, which was an apple crisp except it was made with peaches that morning. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable and were all moving at a fast place but took time to describe each item we asked about.
We brought it back to hotel and enjoyed it with the free coffee offered by the hotel.