“Great food, comfortable atmosphere - wonderful brunch!”
Review of The Merry Table - CLOSED

The Merry Table
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Union
Description: The Merry Table describes itself as a "restaurant and creperie". The menu includes almost a dozen savory and sweet crepe options as well as soups, salads and sandwiches.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is a very comfy little restaurant with great food. The atmosphere is casual but classy. I had the poulet savory crepe, a French hard cider and the creme brulee. Everything was great. Sitting at the bar I could watch them making the crepes. My boyfriend had a salad on an open-faced crepe that was very fresh and bright. The kitchen staff speaks only French to one another. The chefs were fun to watch, and they seemed deft at cooking and plating with art and skill. The waiter (also the owner I think) perfectly trod the line between making us feel very welcome and taken care of, and letting us enjoy a lovely meal in peace. Compared to French dinner restaurants the food is lighter and easier to digest, and the atmosphere is completely unpretentious (come dressed in jeans and a wool sweater). The walls are painted in shades of yellow, nice music playing, and a warm fireplace.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I go here often - not only for the yummy crepes but the feeling of being transported back to our honeymoon in Paris. The restaurant is cozy and the service is very good and friendly. Most often you are greeted in French. Now to the food...The crepes from savory to sweet never disappoint. We have dined as a couple and as a family. My 6 year old's favorite is the Nutella and banana (who wouldn't like that???) and my 14 year old (who is extremely picky) has enjoyed the ham & cheese crepe. For me, I LOVE the salmon crepe w/ Boursin cheese, capers, diced egg and onion. Pair that with one of the white wines they offer and you won't be disappointed. The chef also offers other lovely dishes like beef bourguignon in the winters and a fantastic gazpacho in the summer. So, if you find yourself in the Old Port (or not) look up The Merry Table and enjoy!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I have dined here for lunch on many occassions. We fine the atmosphere refreshing, service excellent and the crepes superb. On all occassions, we have had a wonderful luncheon experience.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have lived in Portland for quite a few years and just discovered this little gem. The space is small and cozy and the staff are warm and friendly. I'm a snob when it comes to French Onion soup and I have to say, their's is superb. The crepes are wonderful, I recommend the salmon crepe...such a delightful blend of palate pleasers. For dessert, the Creme Brulee is unlike any I have ever had.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Hubby and I went here this-past Sunday for lunch. We each ordered a different soup. While tasty, the consistency was water, so not really enjoyable. We ordered a spinach, mushroom, belchamel sauce AND a chicken, belchamel, carmelized onions crepes and shared them. The spinach crepe had NO seasonings whatsoever. None of the ingredients stood out on it's own. It was just plain bland. The chicken crepe was hardy seasoned as well, but at least tasted like chicken. A side of salad was fresh and good. The saving grace was a warm, freshly baked molten chocolate cake served with a raspberry coulis and creme fraise (this was a daily special). [Women at the table next to us had an orange flavored dessert crepe and were raving over it.] Wish we had eaten elsewhere and just stopped in for coffee and the cake. Service was by female co-owner (I assume) was awkward and somewhat harried. With all of the nice restaurants in Portland, we won't be back.