“Free Flight - OF BEER”
Review of Allagash Brewery

Allagash Brewery
Ranked #1 of 122 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Allagash Brewing Company is dedicated to crafting the best Belgian-inspired beers in the world. Best known for our flagship beer, Allagash White, we also enjoy aging beer in oak barrels (beginning with the launch of Curieux in 2004) and spontaneously fermented beers (beginning with our traditional Coolship in 2007). Come up and visit us – we’d love to show you around.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was a fun and interesting tour. The headsets were super effective - the tour leader speaks into a mic and all guests can hear clearly. (Note to tour guide - it would help if you repeated the questions asked so everyone can hear those, too.) It was cool to see the inside workings of the brewery.
And after the tour we enjoyed the flight of beer. It was interesting to taste what we had just seen made. The glasses were filled higher than I expected (especially considering that the whole thing was free).
We reserved tickets on line the day before the tour and had no problems at all. Free parking, too.
An idea to make it a wee bit better - if there was some small food item for purchase we would have enjoyed having something to nosh on while tasting the beer.
We recommend checking it out!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,004)
All reviews
"favorite beer"
in 20 reviews
"belgian style"
in 10 reviews
"the beer making process"
in 12 reviews
in 12 reviews
"on tap"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Allagash is one of the most highly regarded beers to come out of Maine, and you can see the love and pride in craftsmanship that they put into their product.

Unfortunately we missed the tour but did enjoy a free 4-sample beer flight. What surprised me was that only one of the four was a "old standard," while the other three were either only available there, or were unusual/limited distribution.

They also sell bottles and cases of some of their offerings, as well as Allagash merchandise.

Well worth the visit, as a beer person. I wouldn't send someone not interested in the industry or the product there, though.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

While on an excellent tour of the Boston Beer Company/Samuel Adams brewery in Boston with my husband and a friend, we meet a couple on a beer tasting vacation who had recently visited the Allagash Brewing Company and highly recommended the tour. That was enough for us! A few days later, we made the trip to Portland with friends and family and took the tour. I would agree with some of the earlier comments who mentioned that the quality of your tour experience is highly dependent on your guide. My guide was a friendly, enthusiastic young woman whose "script" could use a bit of polishing. She was pleasant and eager to answer questions, but she repeated herself often and was a little dull. Compared to the incredible tour at Sam Adams, my experience at the Allagash was lacking....however, the facility is inviting, easy to find, and the beer tasting is free. Although you do have to wait a bit for your guide to deliver your pours, it was nicer than passing the pitcher around at Sam Adams, and this way, you could compare the brews against each other. No free glass to take with you, but I was happy to skip that for the ability to taste them side-by-side.

Like I mentioned earlier, I went with family that included my tween-aged kids and my senior-aged in-laws. It was not an ideal visit for my kids, but I was happy that the brewery accommodated them. The goggles you wear on the tour give a fishbowl-like effect to your vision and I didn't think they were very necessary, but we were on the factory floor. The headset is nice to amplify the tour guide's voice, but they need to make sure they repeat audience questions. The factory floor can get a bit warm (from all of the boilers) and then you get a bit chilly visiting the cold storage areas - all of it very interesting. Our tour ran 20+ minutes and was easy for everyone to get around. The only really cramped viewing area was around the bottling operation. For the tasting, I brought beverages for my kids (a TripAdvisor contributor recommended that), but was told later by my tour guide that they have non-alcoholic drinks available (for purchase?) in their tasting room.

All in all, it was a nice experience and a great way to learn more about the Allagash complement of beers. Be sure to reserve your tickets online at least a day or two in advance!

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Check out this place for a great flight of beer. Sample up to 4 beers for free. All of the ones we tried were outstanding!