“Great view, limited disappointing appetizer menu”
Review of Top of the East

Top of the East
Ranked #64 of 636 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night
Description: An iconic landmark, the Top of the East Lounge boasts breathtaking views of Portland, Maine in a sophisticated setting. Our bold menu of signature cocktails, fine wines and premium beers pairs perfectly with an eclectic selection of small plates and snacks - showcasing locally sourced ingredients and New England favorites.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My companion and I were there on 4/29/14. There happened to be an 'event' going on. It was very noisy. If I could rate on just the view alone I would give The Top 5 stars. The appetizer menu is very limited. Some of the odd choices were smoked swordfish bellies $16,charcuterie board (pickles,mustard & grilled toast) $16, panko crusted goat cheese $13. We ordered a cheese sampler with crusted french bread and fruit (the fruit was a mashed apricot concoction) market price $$$, and fig, brie, prosciutto pannini (3 small wedges) $8. he cheese sampler had tiny itsy pieces of chopped blue, sharp & brie cheese. The pannini, after sitting, was very tough to chew. Their white wines per glass range from $7-$11. Bottles $29 and up.
I thought the food was sub par, prices for the portions too high.

TaylorCorson, Manager at Top of the East, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Top of the East. We are just as captivated with the view as you are. I was disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with our bar menu items. Our culinary team strives to create innovative dishes with locally sourced ingredients. As our menus do tend to offer seasonal items and specials, I hope that you will join us again and discover a new favorite at the Top of the East.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Drinks were sloppy and had obviously been spilled, seating is lacking, renovations were unimpressive.

1  Thank Erin C
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The views from the Top of the East are the best by far in the Portland area. The atmosphere is somewhat upscale for Maine. We recently took our sons and their girlfriends there for an evening out. Wine list is OK not the largest but a decent selection, appetizers were incredible - the Lobster rolls and cheese plates were worth the high prices.

Only downside - check your bill before you pay, we had an extra drink on our check.

We appreciate your comments very much and are thrilled that you found the new and improved Top of the East to be as captivating as we do. Thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you in the future at Top of the East.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

As I mentioned in my review of the Westin Harborview, the Top of the East is a great place to enjoy drinks with friends. Make it a point to stop in even if you are staying elsewhere in Portland.

On behalf of our Top of the East team, I'd like to thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Portland Harborview and that the Top of the East added to the experience. I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Portland.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Drinks at the Top of the East is an excellent end to an evening out in the Old Port. The crowd is almost as much fun to look at as the gorgeous views of Portland and Casco Bay. Comfy couches, dim lighting, and good cocktails make this a very fun place to hang out on a Friday or Saturday night.

Thank you for sharing your experience at Top of the East. The view is breathtaking and our culinary team and mixologists continue to surprise us with new and innovate creations. I hope that Top of the East will become a regular stop when you venture this way.