“Best Sushi Restaurant”

Cuisines: Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Miyake suffers in these ratings due to people who wanted a california roll and edamame, and panicked when they couldn't find anything familiar on the menu. Based on the food, one could make the case that Miyake is the best restaurant in Portland, and one of the best sushi restaurants anywhere. What keeps it from that status is the space, which is fine, but tight and necessarily limited in terms of ambience. This is the chef's first restaurant, and reasonable compromises were made (e.g., no liquor license - but you can carry-in from the West End Deli next door). The food, however, is a tour de force - incredibly creative and constantly changing. Portland is fantastically lucky to have a sushi restaurant this unique. The omakase tasting menus are excellent, if expensive, and will make you marvel at the chef's creativity. Delicious. NOT for kids.

2  Thank boxorox1
There are newer reviews for Miyake

Reviewed July 31, 2010

You will not go wrong here..... the food is excellent , better than than NY, LA, Chicago, SF restaurants.....
Though it is time to at least get a beer and wine license....
pricey, but well worth it... try the tasting menu......

1  Thank Brunello5
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Possibly the BEST Sushi I've EVER had and trying to say that without too much hyperbole. Some things in life are worth paying for, and the fresh fish, carefully concocted traditional to French infused kitchen dishes, makes this place unparalleled an experience for all gastronomes. The $35, 3 course chef's tasting menu is a good place to start.

1  Thank YoungCBoston
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I've eaten sushi all over the world and this is some of the BEST! I ate at many restaurants in Portland and if I could only chose one, I would chose Miyake. We had the chef's tasting menu. I felt it was a great value and allowed us to sample many different dishes.

1  Thank jskzug
Reviewed March 26, 2010

After reading some of the other reviews I was hesitant to go. We were referred by a friend who is in the restaurant business in Portland and I wanted to trust his word so we went regardless of the other posts. Set in an old neighborhood setting, this little hole in the wall - yes it actually seems as you are entering through a little gap in the wall - proved the adage "never judge a book by it's cover". While yes Miyake could use a little sprucing up, I was happy that they turned their efforts to their food. Funny thing is, as a chef I have found that I am allergic to fish/shellfish. Different reactions to different foods, some sort of severe and some not so. For my wife, a fish loving kinda girl, I go to these kind of places and pick my way around the menu (on a separate story we ended up at Street & Co. later). I was happy to see a house salad, dressing by the way was amazing, edamame-which we ended up not getting and a pork belly appetizer on the menu. After settling on these three options our server, very knowledgeable of what he was selling, came to tell of the specials. Miyake, by the way, offers a $15 three course or $25 four course lunch special. He, our server, told of the different sashimi and rolls you could get with these then went exactly where I wanted to go...Ground Pork Shoulder and Silken Tofu in Chili, Shaved Beef with Yam Noodles-my favorite and a Curried Beef with Rice Noodles. My wife ordered a $20 sample plate, great value, 6 pieces of sashimi (salmon, fluke, hamachi, bigeye, snapper & mackerel) and a tuna maki. Somehow I talked my way into the $15 lunch. The miso soup came out, it has bonito flakes in the dashi so N took advantage of that while I loved every bite of the salad. Then I managed a bowl of each of the aforementioned meat dished. N ate her fish, all fresh ,nicely cut, simply presented yada yada whatever, the meat dishes were phenomenal. I could go on for days about the flavor/texture counterpoints, the balance, the care taken to present each one, whatever, they were fantastic. As a nonfish eater I have picked my way through some pretty fantastic Japanese restaurants, this meal hands down was the best yet. If there weren't so many other great restaurants in Portland we would put this on our hitlist every time we visit. We will be back and next time we won't forget the Kirin and Sake. Thank you Miyake for such a wonderful lunch.

Been to Miyake? Share your experiences!