“Disappointing Asian food.”
Review of Miyake

Miyake
Ranked #85 of 614 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Portland, Maine
“Disappointing Asian food.”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The food is barely mediocre, hardly worth visiting. I stopped here because of teh convenient location to shopping. Don't waste your time.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Julia J

Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Way too expensive for what you get”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

BenKay Japanese restaurant was my original destination, but it closed at 2 for lunch so I went a few blocks down the street to Miyake because u always wanted to try it.
I ordered tuna sashimi and salmon sashimi, as well as the spicy scallop roll and the spicy tuna roll. The sashimi came out first. It was very fresh, but the slices of fish were minuscule. Smallest I have ever seen. The rolls were very good, but extremely pricey. Nice presentation, tasted wonderful, but twice what you would pay anywhere else.
I am glad that I tried this place, but I won't be back. Can't afford it and BenKay on India Row is better.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Kentrosi
North Stonington, Connecticut
“Very pretensious!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had been looking forward to trying this restaurant. We walked in and while the restaurant was not at all busy...about 7-8 tables..the one thing I noticed immediately was that there was not one dish of food on any of the tables! You know how you tend to check out what people are eating and what the dishes look like? well..there was no food to check out!!

We were confused about the tasting menu and the regular menu. It was 50 dollars for the tasting, but a la carte pricing was also noted. We thought we could order a la carte and the individual dish would offer a larger serving! But no...the dishes were so small.....No rice or anything was included! Two maybe three small bites!

We ate and were out of there in about 20 minutes!! My husbands comment to the server, who was a bit stiff and smiley....'sorry to eat and run'!!!

I saw a couple get a dish at the next table...that dish too was so small that I laughed. I did not know they manufactured such small bowls!! It almost appeared that it was a salt cellar vs a bowl...that is how tiny the bowl!

And as one commenter mentioned..they were not at all accommodating....while they agreed to eliminate the fake truffle oil on the super toro roll...they would not agree to eliminating the fatty tuna in favor of plain tuna!I Obviously I did not order!
Have been to best Sushi restaurants around the world...and never have had such a terrible dining experience!

We left starving...and went up the block to another Japanese restaurant and started dinner over !! LOL and the funny thing..we ran into a group of Japanese tourists who we had seen in Miyake and who had left after looking at the menu! They were obviously not happy with the menu of Miyake!

Nobu ..has nothing to worry about...LOL ...this was a major joke and rip off! Not to mention..it was a boring environment!

we are off to Japan for a month....and know we will not experience the same sushi experience anywhere in that country! Will never go back...and will never recommend!

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank hungrygirl038
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
“Sorely disappointed”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We consider ourselves to be sushi aficionados and love checking out sushi restaurants from Seattle to NYC to Honolulu. Given the rave reviews for this place, near our hotel, we were excited to give it a try. Unfortunately, we left hungry, disappointed, and frankly, ripped off at ~$150 for two with just a couple of glasses of wine. The menu items displayed a fussy, strained "creativity", with flavors that were not complementary. I had a hard time finding anything on the menu that I liked, and was bummed that local fish was not featured more prominently. It was also difficult to judge how much food to order. The portion sizes were not clearly described and the server wasn't particularly helpful. The service was mediocre and ill-timed, and all for an exorbitant price. With dozens of dining alternatives truly within a stone's throw, I say go elsewhere!

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank peregrinegirl
“Pretencious”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The food is awful.. The portions are riduculous! You order a nigiri salmon, they give you ONE nigiri salmon... The service is terrible and the prices are extreamly high and the tips are automatically added to the bill. We had to continue our meal somewhere else..

• Visited July 2013
5 Thank Stellaromagnoli

Been to Miyake? Share your experiences!