Let me preface by saying that I lived in Japan for several years as well as New York City. Anytime I am outside either place I bemoan the lack of great Japanese food.
A few points:
1. If fish is what you are after, this is the best restaurant in Portland.
2. Sake list is incredible -- not cheap, but well worth a splurge.
3. Emphasis is on the fish -- I've found the veggies that come with main courses to be a bit pedestrian by comparison.
4. Chef's choice on sushi or sashimi is the way to go. After that, order a few more of what you liked best.
5. WONDERFUL atmosphere -- it feels like a calm, Japanese restaurant.
6. The bar is ample and very comfortable.
7. I recommend eating during off-hours when you get the whole place to yourself.
While there are many solid restaurants in Portland, since Hugo's changed hands I would have to say that this one is the best place for fish.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.