“Excellent Food”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Let me preface by saying that I lived in Japan for several years as well as New York City. Anytime I am outside either place I bemoan the lack of great Japanese food.

A few points:

1. If fish is what you are after, this is the best restaurant in Portland.
2. Sake list is incredible -- not cheap, but well worth a splurge.
3. Emphasis is on the fish -- I've found the veggies that come with main courses to be a bit pedestrian by comparison.
4. Chef's choice on sushi or sashimi is the way to go. After that, order a few more of what you liked best.
5. WONDERFUL atmosphere -- it feels like a calm, Japanese restaurant.
6. The bar is ample and very comfortable.
7. I recommend eating during off-hours when you get the whole place to yourself.

While there are many solid restaurants in Portland, since Hugo's changed hands I would have to say that this one is the best place for fish.

• Visited May 2013

“New tasting menu”
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

The new tasting menu is great. It's a four course menu with many excellent choices in each category. It's $50. Ok, that may seem pricey, but you get what you pay for. If you want to try the place on the "cheap" go for lunch. It's a traditional menu, a la carte.The wait staff is excellent and knowledgable. I like sitting at bar so I can watch the food preparation. These guys are true food artists. One last thing, if your not an adventurous kind of food person, pick another fine restaurant in the old port. You definitely won't like this place.

• Visited June 2013
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Great food”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We enjoyed this for the first time recently with friends. AWESOME is all I can say. We had several different things and they were ALL AMAZING!! You won't want to miss this place!!

Visited May 2013
Portland, Maine
“Still one of my favorites!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have been to Miyake so many times I couldn't even guess how many times. I keep going back because it really is great. We typically do the 7 course Omakase with one of the wine and sake pairings. This visit we did the usual. The menu consisted of several seafood selections both cooked and raw and a meat and poultry course that was all from Miyake farms. It is very hard to pick my favorite course since they were superb. They local whelks with anchovy butter, red peppers and fiddle heads was outstanding as was the swordfish toro. We are so blessed to have Masa Miyake in Portland Maine. I can't wait for my next visit!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Richard A
USA3
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I had been to his smaller restaurant before he opened this new restaurant and that had amazingly fresh and tasty sushi. At this restaurant I ordered the 7 course tasting menu ($75.00) and was absolutely floored. Each course was amazing and aside from the sushi being as tasty and ethereal as can be I have never had a better seared scallop in my life. Not to mention the thinly sliced duck breast with Medeira sauce - outstanding. Please go here and soon and get the tasting menu - the chef knows what to make and what to serve you!!! The price is a deal!

• Visited April 2013

Been to Miyake? Share your experiences!