“A different perspective”

Cuisines: Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I usually like to write my reviews right away but in the case of Miyake it's taken me a few days to figure out what I wanted to say. First of all my husband and I are not "fine diners". We don't eat out often but when we do we usually go to casual places. Just so you know where I'm coming from. But I wanted to take him here for his birthday because we had heard so much about it. It has a really lovely, elegant atmosphere and is small. Our service was top notch. For an appetizer I had the hamayaki, which was lobster, crab & scallop over sushi rice with spicy mayo. FYI - when this place says spicy, they mean it! I like to eat spicy, but to be honest this dish blew out my palate. I found myself a little disappointed that I couldn't actually taste the succulent pieces of seafood in the dish. My husband had the duck breast (cooked to perfection). It also had a pepper on the crust but it didn't dominate the flavor of the duck. Next I had the ceviche roll and my husband had the eel. Again while the presentation of mine was gorgeous, I was a little confounded by the flavors - then I realized it was probably the truffle oil. They use a lot of truffle oil. I know I'm going to probably get some rude remarks for saying this, but I just don't need truffle oil on my sushi. That's when I knew I was out of my league so to speak. Meanwhile my husband was loving his smoked eel. The bottom line - this place IS great, but as another reviewer said if you're looking for standard sushi this isn't it. If I return I would probably try to go for much simpler items, but this isn't a simple restaurant. It's definitely on another level. I'm the type who should probably just stick to my neighborhood sushi place, and I can admit that without shame.

1  Thank Bunny7475

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Service fantastic
Food fresh, original, beautifully presented
Atmosphere serene, music pleasant and non intrusive
The tasting menu consisting of 5 courses was a wonderful way to be introduced to the variety of dishes and their preparation. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and accommodating.
The meal was pricey but every bite was worth it.
It was memorable.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you want the standard neighborhood Sushi place -- stay clear. You'd be better off at Yosaku or Benkay in Portland. Both are very good. But you get the same stuff in Boston or New York. If you want a truly exceptional experience and are game to push your taste buds a bit beyond the usual fare . . . try Miyake. I'd suggest the omakase (chef's choice) Sashimi. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh -- and prepared with skill. It's enough for two so long as you get an app to share unless you're ravenous. Get a bowl of Suhi rice on the side if you want rice. The hamayaki is a great app if you don't mind scallops and lobster smothered in a spicy mayo broiled in a scallop shell. It's another good option for 2 (or more) since it could be heavy if taken on one-on-one. Their miso soup is homemade broth. Tasty. The tasting menu is also great. Some cooked options and meat options. A tour de force. They have a bunch of non-traditional rolls. If you don't like ingredients like truffle oil, take care what you order. Also, great sake list. Try the sake that tastes closest to a bourbon. I've forgotten its name, but its wonderful. Portland is rightly known for its seafood. This is the Sushi place to check out if you want to take a walk on the raw side.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Most "Sushi bars" now are run by someone who most likely is not Japanese- they serve very poor quality fish , with people who have probably never had sushi - Miyake is a true sushi bar- an owner who cares about serving top grade fresh sushi ( as well as other amazing food) for , considering what you're getting, a very low price. This type of sushi bar is hard to find anywhere let alone Maine. You will not be disappointed with this fabulous restaurant.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I will certainly be back for another visit to Miyake. More than lived up to it's billing. Feels like you are walking into a calm oasis, in a setting that is purposeful, yet welcoming. Great staff and FANTASTIC food.