“Swanky, but we weren't super impressed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Miyake
Ranked #89 of 601 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Special occasions
Lincoln Park, Michigan
“Swanky, but we weren't super impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were on our honeymoon this past summer. Got married in Vermont and then meandered around New England down to Brooklyn. We went to Miyake and were impressed by the decor. The food was good and the server was very kind, but I guess I was expecting some more pizzazz...? I'd seen so many glowing reviews, maybe I set higher expectations than I should have I don't know. But something didn't click here for me.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

South Portland, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Huge let down from our former experiences”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

New location=generic atmosphere, overcooked food, slow service and lackluster experience. And, BYOB is gone. We used to visit Miyake a number of times a year. Now, for the price, quality and venue we'll be going elsewhere. We miss the old hole in a wall!!

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PortlandME1
Harpswell, Maine
“changes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

Miyake closed its cinderblock location to open an upscale noodle house. This is some of the best oriental presentation you will get anywhere. It remains to be seen if the noodle house can carry the creativity of the solo operation before. Super fresh, super devoted regulars and pleasant staff.

Portland, Maine
“Stands apart from the "regular" sushi bars.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is not a sushi bar, it is a more complete Japanese style restaurant (though they do have a couple of Sushi options). I went expecting Sushi and was quite pleasantly surprised at the fantastic meal I wound up with instead.

Boston, Massachusetts
“This is for Pai Men Miyake on State Street”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Really nice addition to Longfellow Square! The dumplings and ranen were excellent, as was the yakitori.

Visited December 2011