“Super Fun place for kids”

Children's Museum and Theatre of Maine
Ranked #10 of 163 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether climbing a mountain, entering a bear's den, role-playing crewmembers on a 40-foot schooner or manning a space shuttle, children will have a blast at this highly interactive museum. Most of the museum is geared to children aged one to 11, but young teens will like the computer lab and the camera exhibits. There's also a play area just for toddlers.
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We visited the Portland Children's museum in July 2010. Looking for a place to takethe kids on a rainy day, it was the perfect choice. We have 3 kids ages 2-5 and they all found activites that they loved. The best part is the toddler area which is enclosed. Having 2 /1/2 year old twins , this was a big help. My 5 year old loved the garage and play store. A great place for a day trip

1  Thank karenwallkill
in 3 reviews
"water area"
"day pass"

Reviewed January 15, 2010

The Museum could really use an expanded space..however, the location..next to the elegant Portland Museum of Fine Arts...is terrific. Highly recommended in the city's best guide, "In and Out of Portland with Children" published by MidRun Press.

1  Thank MainelyMom
Reviewed November 13, 2007

We visit this museum every time we're in Maine - two or three times a year. It's really a wonderful, creative, cheerful place, clean and brightly lit too.

It's a very manageable museum - not huge, but plenty to do: balls and ramps, a fire truck, gas station, grocery store, barn, vet's office, touch tank, to name a few areas. It's like a huge indoor educational playspace, very hands on. During nice weather there's a great outdoor area with a ship to climb on and a music area that's kind of like a big percussion station.

There's no cafe, only vending machines, but there are tables and chairs if you want to bring your own food. You can also get your hand stamped and return later that day if you want to take a lunch break somewhere else.

If you have younger children, you should really plan a visit. It will be a couple of hours very well spent.

2  Thank dmatsushita
Reviewed September 14, 2007

We spent a day with out 3 and 5 year old boys and my 60 something parents. The kids were enthralled. Great variety of exhibits with high quality concepts and execution. Don't miss the backyard. There is a fabulous pirate ship waiting for adventure. Of coarse the space shuttle, firetruck and machanics shop were my boy's favorites but I personally found the floating globe and movies featuring Portland kids who all have different ethnic backgrounds and history wonderful.

1  Thank Danielle L
See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
New Bedford, MA
Reviewed September 28, 2004

Oh, how we love this place!! I brought my 4 year old daughter and expected to follow her around wishing that I had a good book to read, but I think that I had at least as much fun as she did! One of our favorites was the outdoors music garden that has all sorts of locally made instruments (made, I think by a very creative welder) like metal drums, gongs, xylaphone type thingys, and all sorts of ways to make strangley beautiful noise. My daughter had to drag me away... They have ever changing exibits, a craft area that is staffed by really nice helpers, a space ship, and way too many things to list. They even have a really nice (and very clean) space for babies and toddlers to explore. Loved it and can't wait for another excuse to go to Portland with my daughter again just for the museum!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member