“Great time for kids”

Children's Museum and Theatre of Maine
Ranked #25 of 151 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether climbing a mountain, entering a bear's den, role-playing crewmembers on a 40-foot schooner or manning a space shuttle, children will have a blast at this highly interactive museum. Most of the museum is geared to children aged one to 11, but young teens will like the computer lab and the camera exhibits. There's also a play area just for toddlers.
Albany, New York
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great time for kids”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

For the $9 admission my son played for 4 hours, socializing with new kids, pretending, imagining, and trying many new things. The museum has 4 floors of exhibits of different types. And when we got home he slept like a champ. Highly recommend this if you have children, I'd say 18 months to 10 yrs or so

Visited May 2013
3 Thank BrandonA33

Maine
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“great fun for kids & adults”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Such a great place to bring your kids/nieces/nephews- whoever! It's all very educational and fun. I brough 3 kids by myself and had no problem keeping up with them. There is so much to keep all of them occupied. They do fun little activities & keep them entertain the whole time! Friendly and informative staff!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank katieautoeuro
Burlington, CT
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Great time for the little ones”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This museum is in the middle of downtown Portland with a parking garage nearby. It was very busy on the Saturday we visited. The museum has several activities and exhibits across three floors. It is ideal for toddlers and children up to 10 years old although there are a few items of interest for slightly older kids. We enjoyed watching the kids pretend to be firefighters as well as experimenting with the underwater remote control camera. Throughout the day events are scheduled to keep things interesting. The dance party in the theater room and the starfish touch tank are often popular with the boys and girls. Although there is only a play restaurant in the museum, there are plenty of food choices in downtown Portland. This is a cute and entertaining museum.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank RoadtripCowboy
Montreal, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“For kids under 5 years really”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have visited many children museum in different North American cities and the best is still ECHO in Burlington, VT. Staff very understanding when my son damaged an item by accident.

Visited December 2012
Salem, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun place for kids in the middle of downtown.”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I just bought a season pass for my 3-year old and myself and couldn't be more pleased with them. We went to the museum yesterday for the first time. We arrived when they first opened which was ideal for us because for the first hour or so it was very empty and we had the run of the place to ourselves.

I really enjoyed that they had different presentations and activities about every 30 minutes. We really enjoyed our interaction with the staff members.

One of the nicest things was my 3-year old had an accident and I had forgot to bring the diaper bag in with me. They heard us talking as we were about to walk back to the car to get the bag. They have a stash of pull-ups and wipes and were happy to let us use one. I thought they were fantastic.

Visited December 2012