“Trip with Friends”

Children's Museum and Theatre of Maine
Ranked #25 of 143 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether climbing a mountain, entering a bear's den, role-playing crewmembers on a 40-foot schooner or manning a space shuttle, children will have a blast at this highly interactive museum. Most of the museum is geared to children aged one to 11, but young teens will like the computer lab and the camera exhibits. There's also a play area just for toddlers.
Cary, North Carolina
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Trip with Friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Went with my friends and god-kids to the children's museum, and tho I am not a big fan of "kiddie" stuff, it was fun! Glad to see all the kids enjoying it, having fun, and not "plugged" into a gadget!!

A ton of cool hands-on activities, and little workshops for the kids throughout the day.

1 Thank travelmd46

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great rainy day activity..just wish everyone else didn't have same idea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

I am originally from Maine, and now when I come back to visit family I am enjoying experiencing all the different experiences that Maine has to offer families.
When a scheduled day trip to Popham Beach to visit with an old friend & let the kids run around was ruined by rain, we opted for the Museum. We chose this because we are members of the PleaseTouch Museum in Philadelphia, and through the ACM reciprocal program, we were able to visit with free member admission.
The kids, mine is 2.5, my friends are 3 & 6.5 were all thrilled to be there. I was a little disappointed it didn't open until Noon on a Sunday in the summertime, and it was pouring so we had to wait in the rain to go in. The area where the store & front desk are is extremely small and it was a bit chaotic trying to get in & admitted.
We had brought lunch with us, and headed right down to the cafe to eat. The kitchen play area exhibit was right by the tables which created a HUGE distraction when trying to get two excited toddlers to eat their lunch..would have been much better for the area to be just tables.

We went to the first level and as soon as we got up there, it was extremely crowded and my 2 year old was getting very overwhelmed right off the bat. After getting pushed around by a couple older kids and maneuvering the many adults, he started melting down. We took the younger kids into the toddler area to play to try & give them some space to roam around. The toddler area is great and set up very well..but the location of it (in center of room) was a bit of sensory overload with the crowd & noises from all the other nearby exhibits. If this had been in a more secluded area, it would be perfect!! Because of the crowd, we got to see the farm, market, lobster boat & firetruck exhibit...but unfortunately our little ones didn't get to really experience it because there were so many people.

The second floor was our favorite! The water area, campsite, wooden trucks, treehouse were huge hits! The kids loved seeing the fish & turtle tanks as well as the bees. The treehouse was where we spent the most time, and they all took turns with the different jobs to do.

Overall- really love the learning components, encouragement for imaginative play, cleanliness and quality of this museum. I plan to visit again in the fall when we return for another visit & my husband is with us.

All in all, our experience was a good one..but I would have likely been very disappointed if I had paid for admission vs membership because there were WAY to many people there to get to really enjoy the museum & take our time in each section. I still gave a 5 for rating though, because potential for a really incredible time in a less crowded environment is huge.

Great Neck, NY
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awesome museum for kids of all ages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

What a great place to take the kids. We are on vacation and took our 3 kids (ages 6, 3 and 21 months). There was something for everyone. Highly recommend a visit!

1 Thank RadlerGreatNeck_NY
Philadelphia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Went with my boys (aged 6. 8, and 10). We have been to quite a few childrens museums and this ranks as one of the best. LOTS of scheduled activities, interesting and diverse exhibits all over the place. Not the largest museum but good for a fun morning. Check the camera obscura - I think they do a demo there a couple of times a day. The inventors workshop is also very cool.

Bangor, Maine, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Noah's trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We took our son there for the first tiem he loved the big fire truck. He also loved the water on second floor even stepped in shoes and all thinks that is a big puddle

Visited June 2012