“Great place.”

Children's Museum and Theatre of Maine
Ranked #30 of 151 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether climbing a mountain, entering a bear's den, role-playing crewmembers on a 40-foot schooner or manning a space shuttle, children will have a blast at this highly interactive museum. Most of the museum is geared to children aged one to 11, but young teens will like the computer lab and the camera exhibits. There's also a play area just for toddlers.
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Went with my boys (aged 6. 8, and 10). We have been to quite a few childrens museums and this ranks as one of the best. LOTS of scheduled activities, interesting and diverse exhibits all over the place. Not the largest museum but good for a fun morning. Check the camera obscura - I think they do a demo there a couple of times a day. The inventors workshop is also very cool.

There are newer reviews for Children's Museum and Theatre of Maine

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We took our son there for the first tiem he loved the big fire truck. He also loved the water on second floor even stepped in shoes and all thinks that is a big puddle

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Anyone with kids 8 and under must visit the Children's Museum. The activities are creative and the kids learn a lot by doing.

1  Thank MarkHF
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Lots of hands-on exhibits keep kids happily occupied while they learn.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I visited the museum with my ten year old on first Friday, when the admission was only a dollar and the museum stayed open late. My dad and his wife visited the Portland Museum of Art next door while we were in the children's museum. There are hands on activities (great when you've spent the day following adults around sightseeing) which I think would appeal more to younger children (my son is 10) but we enjoyed spending the 45 minutes we had to kill before our harbor cruise. Younger children and larger families could definitely take a longer time.