“Simply terrific!”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Simply terrific!”
Reviewed February 17, 2011

The room was spacious and immaculate with a very comfortable bed and access to a private bathroom that locked and was ours for the entirety of our stay. We also had a fireplace, which was lovely and toasty. Very clean and very little noise from other parts of the house. No street noise either.

Breakfast was absolutely delicious. Gourmet style. One day we had customized omelets and the next we had pear and honey french toast. Not your typical cereal boxes and pastries. Endless coffee, tea and other yummy snacks too.

Staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. Gave great suggestions on what to do, see and eat in Portland. Only a ten minute walk into town (don't take a cab - it's a nice walk!) but has the comfortable, homey feel of a quiet neighborhood.

We went to Portland for Valentine's Day and they made this beautiful spread of chocolates and strawberries and brought it to our room. They went out of their way to make it a very special Valentine's Day for us!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Traveled here for a quiet weekend getaway from the city and loved our stay here. Our room was clean and cozy; wish the TV screen was a little bigger but not a huge deal - we didn't come here to watch TV all day!

Breakfast was very good - Scot was experimenting with a warm croissant-pudding dish and it was delicious. Appreciated the insider tips from both Scot and Laura. Went to a place called Duckfat per their reco and loved it! Fries cooked in duck fat served with duck fat gravy - you really can't go wrong with that.

Only tiny downside was the distance from the B&B to the Old Port; I'm sure in the summer it's a lovely walk... but Maine in February is really cold. Again - totally would not have minded in warm weather. We did end up taking cabs on multiple occasions, and the fare was no more than $5-$6 each way.

Overall - great staff, good food, and lovely accommodations. Will be returning when it's warmer!

Portland, Maine
Reviewed February 10, 2011

The Chadwick Bed and Breakfast is located within half a block of the entrance to Maine Medical Center. They have a special rate of $99.00 for anyone visiting family at the Medical Center. The Inn is nicely appointed, quiet, and immaculately clean and comfortable. Breakfast was served at my convenience and was of gourmet quality. Scot is a kind and considerate host. Highest recommendation!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2011

My father and I stayed at this inn while my mother was having surgery at MMC. It was a wonderful retreat from the hospital. Walking distance (1/2 block). And the breakfast meal was absolutely fabulous! Each and every detail was taken care of, the place was spotless and the inn owner, Scott was delightful! I will definitely go back for a fun weekend another time!

• Stayed February 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I stayed at the Chadwick for an evening, and I was thrilled with my experience. I highly highly recommend this B&B. The space was not only clean, quiet, and tidy, but all of the rooms downstairs and my room upstairs were elegant, cozy, and very comfortable. Also, the breakfast was INCREDIBLE. I didn't want to leave.

Scot, the Innkeeper and cook, was extremely warm, funny, and friendly. He was available to me to talk about recommendations for what to do in town and answered all of the questions that I had.

Great way to experience such a great town! Looking forward to coming back sometime soon!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed February 7, 2011

My husband and I traveled to the Chadwick to visit some friends that live in Portland. We can't wait to return, because we want to spend more time at the inn. One night wasn't enough! We stayed in the Chamberlain and I was beautiful! The fireplace was warm. I absolutely loved the bedspread and the color of the walls. Everything was immaculate! The living room downstair also had a nice fireplace and was a comfortable place to relax and play a game.

Our night was restful, but breakfast was the real treat. We were served the most delicious rum bread pudding dish that was to die for! It's sound like it would be sweet and heavy, but it was the opposite. A perfect balance of flavors. Scot, inn keeper, told us he was just trying something new. I wish I could just "try something new" and have it come out perfectly. He was great host, there when we needed him and gone when we wanted to be alone.
We would definitely recommend the Chadwick to anyone wanting to feel pampered in Portland. I explored a little on my own and the other rooms are amazing, too. I'd like to try them all out!

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 20, 2011

If you are looking for a comfortable and small place to stay, this is it! The Chadwick B&B feels very homey and its innkeepers add to the welcome atmosphere. I stayed in all rooms and all are very well appointed with attention to detail. The place is quiet and conveniently located. Breakfast is cooked every day and believe it...much better than many restaurants.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business