“Can't Wait to Tell My Friends!”

The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 11 Portland B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 11, 2011

My stay at the Chadwick couldn't have been better. I was surprising a friend for her birthday and so I wanted everything to be perfect. We were not disappointed. Scot and Laura have anticipated everything a guest could need or want. The house is beautifully decorated with a homey feeling and was spotless throughout. Breakfast was unique and delicious. I plan to return soon and will share this wonderful experience with my family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
PortlandInnkeeper, Owner at The Chadwick Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

It was a pleasure to host you and so glad that you found The Chamberlain to be so comfortable while traveling with a friend. Even though you have the cross the hall to a private bathroom, we think it is well worth the value since it is the largest of the rooms. Plus, we are so excited that you've booked another visit next month! Scot & Laura

Reviewed March 21, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this B&B for 2 nights. We picked it from reading reviews here on TripAdvisor and we weren't disappointed. The innkeeper, Scot, was incredibly friendly and helpful upon our arrival and during our entire stay. He had great knowledge of the area and was able to answer all of our questions. Laura (the assistant innkeeper) was also incredibly friendly and made excellent food for breakfast.
We stayed in the Chamberlain Room, which was beautiful. It had a king-size bed and was so comfortable I didn't want to leave. It also has a small (fake) fireplace and a private (adjacent) bathroom.
The amenities were also impressive and thoughtful. The room had a small flat screen TV with DVD player and the living room downstairs had a good collection of DVDs to borrow, as well as books and games. Free wireless internet was great as were the small selection of snacks and tea/coffee available at all times.
Overall a fantastic experience and a place I would love to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review! In The Chamberlain Room we just replaced the TV with a bigger one last week... a bigger room deserves a bigger screen! Fireplaces in the fall, winter, and spring are a big request and we hope to have them in all the rooms this coming fall. Also, great to hear the internet signal was strong in your room. We just moved our wireless router to a more central area in the house and it seems to be hitting every corner with a very strong signal now! Scot & Laura

Reviewed March 20, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at this B&B in early March for a one-night stay and couldn't have been more impressed. (We were merely traveling through Portland en route to another destination, so we didn't spend more than a few hours in the city.) It was reasonably priced ($99 for one night in the Baxter Room.) It had very clean, newer quality furnishings, although still remaining true to the Victorian style of the home. The bathroom was exceptionally clean. The small touches (i.e. snacks/beverages available to guests at any time, fireplace on in our room when we arrived, the innkeeper's presence and availability on demand) made for a more than comfortable stay. The innkeeper, Scot, was incredibly helpful in giving us restaurant recommendations and calling around to see who had availability on such short notice. The neighborhood is incredible - huge mostly-Victorian mansions along brick sidewalks. I could have spent an afternoon just walking through the West End with a cup of tea "to go," peeking into gardens and trying to catch a glimpse of home interiors. There are a variety of good quality restaurants, cafes, and bars in the area. Very charming atmosphere. Breakfast at the inn was served by Laura (the assistant inn-keeper.) She was incredibly warm and professional. She served blueberry lemon zest pancakes with fresh fruit and bacon, as well as a "starter" of vanilla yogurt with honey and dried cherries. No complaints here. Overall, my fiance and I were very pleased we had chosen this B&B. I can't think of anything negative to report. I have already recommended it to a colleague and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

1  Thank OftenTravellingSomew

Thank you so much for the recommendation and for such a lovely review of your stay. We really pride ourselves on being top notch from the cleanliness of the rooms and common areas to the breakfast we serve each morning. Portland really is such a great city for dining, site-seeing, and overall relaxation and rejuvenation. Hopefully next time you can stay a few more nights! Scot & Laura

Reviewed March 17, 2011

Choosing the Chadwick was one of the best decisions of our vacation. The inn was clean, the bed was super comfy, the internet was fast (and included at no extra charge), and breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed your stay! We are so happy that you appreciated the attention to detail. Scot & Laura

Reviewed March 14, 2011

I heard about the Chadwick Inn from a friend who stayed for a night and loved it. I must say, this place was so great and just the thing for a couple of nights away from the hectic city of Boston. The Innkeeper Scot was so nice and accomendating. He seemed to be doing everything from buying groceries, to cleaning but never lacked in friendliness and always made sure that we were ok. He made me feel right at home. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Chamberlin Room which was just the right size. i was so impressed how all the rooms were uniquely decorated with private bathrooms. the bed was so comfortable, i almost slept the whole morning. And the breaksfast was amazing and made fresh! i was so happy with my stay, my gift to my sister for her wedding is several nights at the Chadwick Inn! Would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gothy11

What a wonderful review! It was great hosting you earlier this year, as well as your sister and husband on their honeymoon. We can't think of a better wedding gift than a stay at The Chadwick! Scot & Laura

Reviewed March 6, 2011

My wife and I have stayed at The Chadwick twice in the past 6 months. What I liked the most was the clean and relaxing the atmosphere. The inn keeper, Scot, welcomed us both times. He always has a smile and great knowledge of the city to share with guests. Entertainment, dinning and bars, he knows where to go and what to see.
As for the room, we have always stayed in the Chamberlain. I find it very clean and to my liking. I strongly recommed The Chadwick to anyone who wants a night or even a weekend away with a real Maine charm.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Beautiful rooms with elegant decor and no detail missed. Plush robes in the bathroom, exquisite linens and floor coverings, and delicious wall colors. Bright and cheery, yet cozy and warm. The innkeeper and assistant were friendly and warm yet let you do your own thing.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business