“exquisite Greek cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Emilitsa

Emilitsa
Reserve with OpenTable
Emilitsa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 607 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
portland, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“exquisite Greek cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Emilitsa is the finest Greek restaurant I have ever dined in, and that includes many restaurants on the Greek isles -- everything from the appetizers to the Maine dishes was prepared as well as any food we have had in recent years. Many of the sauces are complex, but the ingredients are simple and fresh, the flavors remarkable. We had the best dinner we have had in Portland, to which we have come every summer for forty years. As we were entering the restaurant, departing customers made a point of telling us how wonderful everything was. One woman whispered to me, you must have the braised lamb ribs. She was right. But even the Feta cheese was exceptional, the olives as good as any I've ever tasted in the US. This is a gem or a restaurant to which we will certainly return on our next trip to Portland.

1 Thank georgel83

Wellington
“LOVE IT - LOVE IT - DID I SAY I LOVE IT!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

When this restaurant opened, I think I was first in line --- have never been disappointed. The Best Greek Food, ever! High quality ingredients, prepared to perfection - flavors just melt in your mouth. I do not eat lamb, but if you are a lamb lover - this is the place to be. Moussaka one of my favorites - melts in your mouth. The complimentary dip with garlic pita strips keeps you very occupied while having a delicious greek wine & trying to make a hard decision on what to order.

Do you think we love this restaurant. The owner, John will accommodate just about any request that he can.
I don't live in Portland, I am a summer visitor to the beach -- we never miss dining here.

1 Thank Koocher
North Andover
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a jewel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Authentic Greek cuisine with creative enhancements. This was truly a memorable dining experience without the massive bill. Loved every minute.

1 Thank Michael A
Cumberland Center, Maine, United States
“Authentic and delicious Greek cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

We just had an amazing experience at our favorite restaurant Emilitsa. The service and food was top notch and as always leaves us wanting more. The food was beautifully presented and the taste was delicious. Without a doubt Emilitsa is our favorite restaurant in Portland.

Connecticut
“Exquisite Food! Memorable Dining! Worth a 50 mile detour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

This is one of the best meals I have ever had in a restaurant. The food was perfect as was the service and the atmosphere warm and soothing. If you are within fifty miles of Portland it is worth a detour to eat here.

The three of us split three appetizers. The scallops were fresh and prepared in a delicate sauce. The beet salad was just grand, red and gold beets in a light garlic sauce - I could smell the sharp, fresh garlic when the plate was set down, not overpowering mind you but just right, pungent and clean. The figs and cheese were delicious. As with the entrees, the presentations were lovely.

Two of us had the halibut on the waitress's recommendation and her notation that it is their signature dish and we are both glad we did. It was fresh, lightly grilled and just grand. The other person in our party had the duck which was cooked perfectly. I asked for bread with the entree and was given two small pitas, warm, slightly oiled with a hint of garlic and just grand.

After the meal we just had American coffee and Greek coffee without dessert. The Greek coffee was very well prepared and very good but not the absolute best we have ever had.

Our waitress was professional, cheerful and unobtrusive. She helped us select a glass of red and a glass of white and her explanations showed she clearly understood the subtitles of wine in general and the wines of their cellar in particular. Her service was prompt but, more importantly, she had that ability to remain in the background so that one is not distracted yet instantly respond to a request. This is the type of professional service I am used to at the very best of restaurants.

The decor is modern. It is not a large restaurant, I believe it has about a dozen tables or so. The atmosphere is warm and quiet. Emilista has the feel, the ambiance of a top-flight restaurant in Manhattan. I appreciate that is a subjective personal judgment but I wish to convey to you what an all-around pleasant and memorable experience this was. I greatly enjoyed meals at David's and Walter's but Emilista is now my favorite restaurant in Portland.

The tab for the three of us with two glasses of wine was about 174 dollars. Yes, this is fairly high but it is well within what one would pay for a similar meal in Manhattan and it was worth every penny.

Please note that I have tried to give a accurate review of Emilista. I appreciate that one may read this and be somewhat doubtful that a Portland restaurant would be able to offer such a wonderful dining experience. Yet I am impelled to let others know what a grand meal this was. Certainly, others may not feel the way I or the rest of my party did and may not agree with this review. But I do most heartily recommend that you have at least one meal here. I think you will be, at a minimum, pleasantly surprised.