“I REPEAT: BEST RESTAURANT IN THE STATE!”
Review of Emilitsa

Emilitsa
Reserve with OpenTable
Emilitsa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Emilitsa is a Greek restaurant located in the arts district of Portland, Maine and boasts a contemporary and casual atmosphere. Emilitsa brings a wide array of Mezethes (small plates), Megala Piata (large plates), and pristinely fresh seafood to the seacoast area. We honor the breadth of traditional cuisine from all regions of Greece. We prepare our Greek dishes with as many local, fresh, organic and natural ingredients as are available to us. We also accommodate those with food allergies.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

OK, certainly one of the absolute best. I will try to contain myself here, after last nights spectacular dinner, but here goes:

Emilitsa's atmosphere is, as always, simply sublime.
Emilitsa's service was, as always, outstanding. Professional, friendly, and attentive (but never hovering).
Emilitsa's complimentary bean dip was, as always, perfect.
Emilitsa's smoked eggplant appetizer was divine (NOT burnt, like the previously reviewer misguidedly suggested).
Emilitsa's Souvlaki - which we have had countless times, including last night - is, always, beyond reproach.

And finally:

Emilitsa's lamb was, is, and always will be (are you all listening?) the best lamb this jaded and food-crazed New York Jew (ethnicity aside) has ever had. Period! I sucked last night's lamb down to the very bones. Slightly embarassing you say for such an upscale - but never pretentious - restaurant you say? You bet it is, BUT it's also the absolute most delicious, tender, and flavorful lamb I've EVER had (And this boy has had plenty of lamb over 50+ years). No question about it.

The ONLY thing better than last night's dinner will be the NEXT TIME WE COME TO EMILITSA.

I feel sorry if you feel differently. For you.

2  Thank theghostwriter

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Our family's judgment after several visits is that the dishes are inconsistent in their quality, which is a more serious problem when the prices are so high. In particular, our Souvlaki has been very poor on two occasions -- dry, tough and not sufficiently marinated. A fish entree was extremely bland. Spanakopita was fresh, but lacking the rich integration of flavors that this Greek hit has when well done. The Lamb dishes have been good, and some of the sides very innovative and flavorful. But the taramousalata was way too strong, and the eggplant appetizer too burnt tasting. Our service was OK, perhaps the server was new. She offered to de-bone the fish, but had a difficult time doing it and left a lot of bones unremoved.

2  Thank nibrs
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Traveling with friends who had picked out this restaurant I was way wary. This is Maine and I was thinking something along lobster, oysters and fish might be the way to go. A quick peak at trip advisor allayed my fears a bit and found this place to be a jewel! Perfectly cooked, spiced and presented right down to the dessert and coffee. Notice no salt and pepper on the table because to use would be a travesty! Professional yet friendly staff. I know I'll be back.

1  Thank Ticonderoga
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Emilitsa is a great restaurant: delicious Greek cuisine, great staff, and a sophisticated, relaxed space. There is a nice table for about 8 people if you want an intimate spot for a dinner party. You will be well taken care of.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We ate here for restaurant week in Portland- 3 delicious courses for only $33. Their presentation is beautiful-- whoever is plating the food has an artistic eye and incorporates many nice small touches. The three people I was eating with and myself were all happy with our meals--lasagna, pork, and chicken dishes--each included generous portions of meat, accompanied with yummy fresh side dishes. The wait staff was friendly and helpful, and let us enjoy a leisurely, comfortable meal. Desserts are heavenly-- I recommend the rice pudding! Even with all the amazing restaurants in Portland, we'll definitely go back to this one.