“One of the best meals I've had in Portland”
Review of Emilitsa

Emilitsa
Reserve with OpenTable
Emilitsa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 627 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Emilitsa is a Greek restaurant located in the arts district of Portland, Maine and boasts a contemporary and casual atmosphere. Emilitsa brings a wide array of Mezethes (small plates), Megala Piata (large plates), and pristinely fresh seafood to the seacoast area. We honor the breadth of traditional cuisine from all regions of Greece. We prepare our Greek dishes with as many local, fresh, organic and natural ingredients as are available to us. We also accommodate those with food allergies.
Maine
“One of the best meals I've had in Portland”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Six of us went for dinner here last night. The service was excellent. The food was excellent. I can't say enough about this place. Its funny because I work downtown and have walked past this place dozens of times. The atmosphere is wonderful also. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat!

I had the appetizer of chicken livers. I've never had them before. I love trying new things. They were delicious. I had lamb for my main meal. Again, very good. Nobody at our table had anything bad to say about anything. We'll be back.

Brattleboro, Vermont
“Wow...”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Emilitsa's probably doesn't need another rave, but it's getting one anyway!

The seared duck for me - crispy, sweet, tender, yummmm. The lamb (not chops) braised with lemon and yogurt for my husband - again (because I had to have a bite) fabulous. Dinner out is always a special occasion for us - and since we had driven from Vermont, we had high expectations. Met and exceeded! We didn't really want a sweet dessert and the little slices of feta were so lovely, creamy and not salty as feta can sometimes be, we asked if they could give us some feta with honey for dessert. They were lovely and accommodating and also added a touch of cracked pepper (after asking!). So lovely.

We will put Emilitsa's on our list of 3 hour drive worthy restaurants. It's a short list. Matter of fact, we've just started it...

1 Thank ZeldaBoro
Portland, Maine
“Spectacular Greek food in a great setting”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is like going to the home of a gourmet Greek chef. Great food, in a nice exposed-brick-walled little restaurant. An amazing Greek wine selection (no, not retsina). Very nioce for a treat/semi-formal night out. Cozy and charming, with great service.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank TravellingMan113
Portland, Maine
“A Great Place for a Special Night Out”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Once again, the Trip Advisor reviewers have it right. We picked Emilitsa for a special night out based on the outstanding reviews on this website. It was a great choice. This is the perfect restaurant for a special occasion. It is a small place with subdued lighting and somewhat rustic and understated decor. The service is prompt, attentive, informative and friendly. The best part by far, though, is the delicious and visually appealing food. From appetizers, through main courses, and then desserts, the food is incredible. This place is a real hit. We are so glad we went. It is expensive, to be sure, but is absolutely worth it for a special occasion. Go there!

Westbrook, Maine
“not your typical Greek restaurant”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I expected the usual gyros, kabobs, souvlaki, moussaka, etc. but the menu offered those plus much more variety. I went on a Friday night around 6 which is a busy night in downtown Portland because the galleries, Portland Art Museum, etc. are open and because admission is free after 5. I was fortunate to get a table because after I was seated a few other people arrived and were turned away, or maybe told to come back later. Those with reservations were seated. It's a small restaurant, maybe 15 tables for 2. Nice ambiance. Even though I was a few tables away from the entrance, the owners had wisely encircled the door with a heavy drape, so there were no drafts every time someone entered. I was comfortably warm. While I studied the menu, I was served a small appetizer consisting of a pate with triangular thin crisps artfully presented. There were several appetizers, a few soups and salads, several entrees, a long wine list, a separate dessert menu. I chose a beet salad ($9) which was tasty, and for an entree thick medallions of duck (medium rare) with mashed carrots with cumin, a small portion of pate with bits of cheese, and carmelized onions ($31) , and an iced tea which they sweeten with honey($3). The portions were generous. For dessert I had the chocolate cheese cake ($9) with coffee ($2)--the cake wasn't very sweet and I didn't care for the bitter cocoa powder which was sprinkled on top. I don't often dine at restaurants with such prices, but it's always nice to treat oneself once in a while. I thoroughly enjoyed dinner. Servers were pleasant and prompt without being stressed or rushed. Their menu is not always the same, but you can see sample dishes on their website. Street parking. Handicapped accessible. Bar seated about 8 people. Music was not obtrusive and level of conversation not excessive.