“Beware of Specials”

Cockeyed Gull Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Waterfront restaurant with a full selection of Lunch and Dinner Appetizers and Entree's many of which feature French and Asian influences, as with all of our menu items our desserts are all made on the premises, Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese frosting, Cheese cake and Chocolate Truffles to name a few. Wonderful views of Casco Bay and of the Portland skyline day or night from the Deck or Dining Room, we also feature a fully stocked bar with Beer, Wine and Liquor.
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Last evening my co-workers helped me celebrate my new job by taking me out to Peaks Island for dinner at the Cockeyed Gull. It was a beautiful summer evening, and the ferry ride to Peaks was idyllic. The harbor was filled with boats and birds, and we even were lucky enough to spot a playful harbor seal enjoying his swim. When we arrived at Peaks, we had only to stroll up the hill and turn left onto the main road that circles the island, and walk a couple of blocks to arrive at the restaurant .
We had made a reservation for 5 people out on the deck which overlooks Casco Bay towards the skyline of Portland. We were greeted warmly by the restaurant staff and immediately shown to our table. The restaurant is airy, friendly, informal and rustic, but comfortable, matching the island mood.
It was a still and warm evening, and our table, the chairs and our porch were very comfortable. Our waitperson, who was friendly and attentive, took our orders for drinks and left the menus with us. The beer menu was disappointingly limited – there are so many delicious local beers brewed in Portland; I wonder why this restaurant does not offer more of them. I did find something to try, which was a little hoppy for my taste, but it sufficed.
The menu was well rounded with many offerings. Our group was definitely up for sea food. Our waitperson brought our drinks, as well as a basket of warm, crusty rolls, and took our order after telling us about the specials. There were many fish dishes on the menu in the $20 range. Our waitperson informed us about a special fish offering, not on the menu: fresh grilled blue fin tuna. She neglected to tell us the price so I assumed it was within a similar or slightly high price range as the other fish dishes. Between us we had ordered the salmon, the haddock, the tuna and scallops. Everything tasted very fresh, was well prepared , and delicious. Every one of us enjoyed our food very much – there was nothing left on our plates!
It was time for us to catch the ferry back, so we asked for the check. We were surprised at the total – it seemed higher than we expected. When we saw the price charged for the tuna, we knew why: it was $40 – twice the price of the other fresh fish dishes. I should have asked, but I also think our server had an obligation to tell us price when reading the specials given that it was so much more than any of the other dishes on the menu.
I would not hesitate to bring visitors to this restaurant for a casual, but delicious meal overlooking the Portland harbor. I would warn them that the beer menu isn’t extensive, and that there is no lobster dinner. I would also ask the server for the prices on the specials so as not to be surprised by the bill. But the short and sweet ferry ride over, with view of 3 lighthouses from Bug Light in South Portland to the picturesque Portland Light House in Cape Elizabeth, the walk from the ferry to the restaurant which captures the island feel, and delicious food while enjoying the beautiful view of Casco Bay and the Portland skyline makes the Cockeyed Gull an enjoyable destination.

1  Thank SMOK77

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had the extreme pleasure of being guests of a Peaks Island family during our vacation. They chose this restuarant because of the amazing sunset view on their waterfront deck. The service was great, the food was amazing and the atmosphere was charming. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We spent a month on Peak's Island and ate here at least fifteen times. Usually there were 8 or 10 of us. When two of us showed up for lunch today, we were told we could not sit on the patio because there were only two of us. This was after 1 PM, and there were several tables available. I think the lunch crowd was over. Seems rather strange the restaurant would be so intractable. Oh well, we were quite happy going elsewhere, and will contnue to do so, whether there are two or twelve of us.

2  Thank FLSaluki
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The name fools ya..you think that its jus a lil ole bar...but the food was excellent. ..we jus happened to get a terrible waiter that night..but me and my wife both the New York strip steak...let me say that was the best meal we have had on our whole trip..from new york to maine...the steak was excellent...our appetizer was the grilled shrimp with pineapple and a spicy sauce..absolute de-lic-ious...too bad its only 4 shrimp...but great flavor

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a small restaurant with really good food. We arrived early before the noon ferry on a Friday in July. The service was very good and our lunches quite tasty. The Fish Taco appetizer is more of a meal with full size Tacos. The cold tomato cucumber soup was good too. Others enjoyed some excellent crab cakes and a great beet salad. One should expect to wait in small restaurants that are known for good food. Good things are worth waiting for. If you want fast service go to a "box" restaurant.