“wonderful way to see Peaks Island!”
Review of Peaks Island Tours

Peaks Island Tours
new jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“wonderful way to see Peaks Island!”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was a fun way to see a very interesting little piece of history. We had made reservations the day before, and our guide, Dan, was waiting for us when we got off the ferry. There was supposed to be a group of 5 also coming off the ferry, and we waited until every single person was off the ferry, and then they called to find out that the other group had missed the ferry. They then allowed two other couples to join us on the 8 person golf cart. Maybe their careful attention was due to what a previous poster had run into, but I was impressed at how much effort they made to ensure that everyone was accounted for.

Dan was very personable and knowledgable about island history. It's nice to have a true local show you around, who knows all the other residents and cares deeply about the island. There was a lot more history there than I would have guessed. Although it sounds a little corny, it was really fun and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Portland for the day. And yes, I did buy some honey - delicious!

2 Thank hrslvr13

Boston, MA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great little island for a day trip”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went here for a day trip while we were staying in Portland, ME. 15 minute ferry ride to a fairly rustic but well kept island. The views were awesome and we rented bikes. Definitely recommend this to anyone visiting the area. There are a few lunch and dinner options and recommend visiting the yacht club building (a short walk from the ferry stop).

2 Thank visitor111Boston_MA
Natick, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Great Take!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Saw this online and it sounded a bit unusual. BUT - it was one of the best tours I've ever taken. Our guide, Jon, was so personable and knowledgeable. He took us around this very scenic island and even led us into the Fifth Maine Regiment Museum - a hall built by Civil War veterans in 1888. One of the highlights of this tour was the chance to buy Peaks Island honey at a stand that operates on the honor system. This tour is so popular that we were wise to make reservations ahead of time. I give it a thumbs up!!!

2 Thank Katerin W
Baltimore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“OK. It might have been a mistake....BUT!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Here is the email I sent to this company today.
Everyone makes mistakes, and the woman answering the phone did apologize, but this type of thing upsets me considering it was a good part day of my vacation down the tubes.

Quote:

Parked in Portland.
Paid for Ferry. 2 people
Stepped off ferry rather swiftly, certainly not the last person, and the tour had already left. I was told it would wait.

If this is the case, what happens if someone is disabled enough that it takes a few extra minutes.

Wasted day with time and financially.

I will put my negative review on trip advisor where I learned about your service.

There were people getting off the ferry behind us. So we were not even the last.

This was very rude of your company.

My phone shows that I called your number at 12:45. This is after looking for you for 5 minutes. We were, therefore, no more that 5 minutes late and made our way directly to the gray shed as directed.

2 Thank jayah3
52445Steve, Manager at Peaks Island Tours, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
On Friday, July 6, 2012 7:18 AM, Marisa MacIsaac <peaksislandtours@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Mr. Herzog,

I apologize for the mix up yesterday. Apparently there must have been a miscommunication between the woman who handles the phone and the driver. My driver assured me that he was at the pick up point from 12:30 until 1:00 (the gray shed at the entrance to the parking lot). He said that only the three other people who had reserved for that tour time came up to the golf cart. When no one else came he assumed that you had either missed the ferry or had decided not to come so he started the tour at 1:00.

We have been in business for many years and have had this kind of thing happen only once - the first year we were providing tours. Again, I am sorry it happened. We will gladly provide you with a tour at another time free of charge.

By the way, if someone tells us they have a disabled person in the group when they make the reservation, we pick them up st the head of the wharf as soon as the ferry departs.

Steve
Island Tours
Galveston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Highlight of Portland visit”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

This Golf Cart tour was the best attraction on our 3day visit to Portland and the southern beach areas of Maine. Our guide, Maryann, was very knowledgeable of island history and made our tour entertaining and informative. Make reservations...you don't want to miss this

Visited September 2011