“Went for a Wedding...Absolutely beautiful experience”

Black Bear Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Orono
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hampden, ME
“Went for a Wedding...Absolutely beautiful experience”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

One of my friends had a wedding at the Black Bear Inn this past weekend and all I can say is...what a great experience. From the wedding guest point of view the reception area was great for entertaining. Also, I cannot get over the food! It was delicious!

There were two weddings going on that night but we were not even aware of another party going on which was nice. Even met the Manager in the lobby as we were entering and he showed us what area to go to for our reception...great personal touch to start the evening off right.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BWMan
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments. Since bringing on Carmen and Arturo Montes as our chefs we have really turned the corner on quality. I will pass your comments on to them because they and the entire staff deserve all the credit. Tom/GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Maine
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We visited Orono in July for a wedding weekend and very much enjoyed everything about the Black Bear Inn except for the fact that they need a pool. Because they do not and there are locations close by that do, we would not stay here again in the summer. The continental breakfast was good especially with their addition of waffles but they do not cater to allergies which is unfortunate. There is no central air but the rooms were very comfortable and clean. They staff was the best: kind, funny and very helpful. Again I would highly recommend this to folks who are looking for an inn right off the highway (no noise - just easy location) but not if, like us, you would like a pool.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments and my apologies for our lack of a pool. We try to make up for it with other added complimentary benefits like our nightly (except Sunday) wine reception, continental breakfast and internet service which many of our nearby competitiors charge for. Your suggestion is appreciated! Tom
Oceanside, California
Reviewed July 18, 2010

If you look at the hotel's website (yes there's a website), they make a big deal about their fabulous restaurant/chefs. I made a point to ask about this restaurant when I called to reserve a 134.00 suite. The woman on the other end of the phone made it seem like yes the restaurant was great. We get there yesterday (and by the way, my spouse is about to have a quadruple bypass at EMMC on Tuesday) and have a lot of luggage. Nobody tells us they have luggage dollies available...you know...'just say the word and we'll help' ?? Thanks...! It's like 85 to 90 degrees and a damp heat you don't want to experience here in so called cool maine. And we LIVE in Maine, BTW. So after lugging everything into the room and the room was *ok*...nothing to rave about. Refrigerator even at the highest level sucked. TV had a weird ghost image in the screen but it was tolerable. So we wait for the restaurant to open and realize upon walking in that it's a pseudo restaurant..a "I want to be a restaurant when I grow up" restaurant. No hostess to greet you and some guy in the back (around the door corner when you walk in) said yeah sit down and goes to find the girl. The tables DO have tablecloths and seem decent but then the waitress/hostess comes in wearing capri pants and a tank top and is like 18 yrs old and gives us XEROXED menus. Yes...xeroxed...LOL. I asked for iced tea and she is vague about whether she has it or not so she goes to get the iced tea and coke for my spouse and brings back CANS. No glasses...no ice like a normal restaurant and shows me it's nestea which I hate! No thanks...we left. Come on...what did you do...get them out of the vending machine down the hall? The same one we use near the room? Bizarre! So we went elsewhere to another Bangor restaurant (also lousy but hey at least it wasn't xeroxed menus and their raspberry tea was good). After we came back and tried to relax enough to sleep despite people running up and down the halls occasionally slamming doors, a whole troop of older RUDE PEOPLE come down the hall to escort *JOE* to his room. All these old biddies were saying stuff like "g'night Joe...sleep tight joe" ..." laughing and cackling and slamming doors aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagain! For god's sake...talk about totally rude and noisy people and do you think the staff that is right down the hall can say something? No of course not. So then this morning we go out with our bags and that's where I figured out they had these luggage dollies and I thanked the rude girl in a nasty way for not pointing out the day before that they even HAD these since my spouse is not up to par with his health. Gee...when you check in someone could say 'do you need a luggage dolly/cart?" (or whatever it's called) ? Why is this difficult to be helpful and full of information? So I will never be back thanks. Lousy lousy lousy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LAMPINTHEDARK
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
My apologies for your poor experience. We have a great staff to attend to all your needs (luggage and tv problems etc.) if we know about them. Our only goal is your satifaction. Each year over 20,000 guests stay with us and as you can tell by our reviews, most are very happy. In closing, I hope your spouse had successful by-pass surgery. I hope you give us another chance, You will be pleased, I guarantee it. Thanks Tom Palmer/GM
Spain
Reviewed April 8, 2010

All you could expect from a hotel just off Interstate 95.

Large, spotless room, Friendly and efficient staff.

Free wireless internet and continental breakfast (cereal breads, juice, fruit and waffles).

Very convenient for the University and the mall.

We had a rather noisy occupant above us but the hotel cannot be blamed for someone with insomnia and a heavy footfall.

The bear theme is cute and not overstated - very nice quilted spreads, all the artwork is bear themed.

All in all a pleasant place to spend a night or two and very handy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank keenvisitor
Thanks for your comments. Your kind word are a real morale boost for my excellent staff because I share all responses with them, even the occasional bad one. Take care and I hope you visit us again soon! Tom
Maine
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Had a great stay at the Black Bear. The staff were all extremely friendly and efficient. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. I would recommend the Black Bear to anyone!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Barclay10Maine
Thank you for your comments regarding the staff at the Black Bear Inn. We are blessed with a wonderful crew. Tom
Hampden, ME
Reviewed April 16, 2009

My girlfriend and I were making a trip up to my parents for Easter and decided to stay at the Black Bear Inn because it was close to my brother at the University of Maine. What a great stay! We arrived pretty late (10:30 pm) and the desk attendent was extremely pleasent. She even had a couple of cookies for us which was great because we had just had a long ride. Check-in was a breeze and then we headed up the elevator to our room on the 3rd floor. The room was very nice with a king bed. I really liked that the room had to sink/vanity areas, one in with the shower and toilet and one outside of the bathroom area so we could both get ready in the morning without bugging each other.
I noticed in the morning that there were a bunch of kids in the breakfast area and around the hotel but I hadn't heard a sound that evening or morning (we slept in). nice to know the hotel is quiet even when there are a bunch of people around. After we got already we hit the continental breakfast. There is a nice little breakfast nook area with seating. Very comfy! The selection for the breakfast was very good and had everything we needed....even hard boiled eggs. All in all I would give this the mark of a perfect stay!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BWMan
Thank you for your comments. Help us spread the word. We are proud of our hotel and appreciate your kind words! Tom
brownsugah
Reviewed May 18, 2008

I stayed at the Black Bear Inn for 3 nights last month. I just have to say that it was the greatest Best Western I have ever stayed at. Everyone that I met that worked there was so nice. I got there before normal check in time and they were great about letting me check into my room. I had never been to Orono before so I had alot of questions about where to go to eat and where all the best shopping was. The girl at the desk (Heather) was very helpful. She gave me printed out directions to local points of interest and told me about a great little place to eat called Woodman's. The room I was in was super clean. The bathroom in particular was spotless. I do have to agree with some of the other people who wrote reviews for this hotel that the breakfast area is a little small. The breakfast attendant did a great job keeping everything filled and helping people get to everything they needed. Overall my experience was great and if I'm ever in the area again I will definatly stay with the Black Bear Inn!!!

Shaleena M
- Hinesville, GA

• Liked — All the little black bear accents. ie... pictures and statues... very cute!!!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank brownsugah
Thank your very much. Your comments are important to us. Tom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orono
Hilton Garden Inn Bangor
Comfort Inn Bangor
Comfort Inn Bangor
#3 of 26 in Bangor
Milford Motel on the River

Been to Black Bear Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!