“Super friendly, super charming”

Black Bear Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Orono
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had booked at the Black Bear Inn because there were no rooms available in Bangor. However, the Black Bear Inn is really conveniently located, just off the freeway exit near Old Town, and only a few minutes from Bangor. The first thing I did when I came into the room was take pictures of the bedspreads--really great quilts featuring a log cabin, woods, and (what else?) a black bear. There was even a bear stuffed toy which you could purchase with proceeds going to cancer. The room was comfortable and very clean. Staff were totally friendly and accommodating. We arrived on a Saturday and were told there would be a wine and cheese hour which we took in, and met some of the other guests. The continental breakfast was fine, very casual, and you could take a tray back to your room. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone and especially families. There is a statue of a black bear and a cub outside the hotel and there always seemed to be kids climbing on it!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thank you for your kind words. I will pass your compliments on to our staff. They do a wonderful job. I am glad you enjoyed the wine and cheese reception....it has been very popular. Hope to see you soon! Tom Palmer/General Manager

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was at the Black Bear Inn accompanying my husband who was there for a conference. The room was quaint and comfortable. We were there for 2 nights. On the second night we ordered a room service individual pizza. When it finally arrived it was a pile of 4 slices on a plate with plastic wrap covering it, which was not a very appetizing presentation. No plates or napkins arrived with it, just the pile of slices. OK. When I bit into the pizza the dough was raw. By this time I was no longer hungry. I picked at the toppings and called it a night.
On the last morning my husband went to his meetings and I put out the "Privacy Please" sign and packed and then showered. I had just gotten out of the shower and was drying off when I heard someone trying to enter the room. I was right by the door when this occurred so I know there were no announcements. I called out my husband's name a couple of times and the door opened and the maid was there and she said "No" (as in she wasn't Jim). I asked her if the sign asking her not to disturb was there. She looked and said "oh, sorry." She still had the door open and I was trying to hide behind a tiny towel. I said, "Please!" and closed the door! In EVERY hotel in which I have ever stayed the housekeeping staff would knock and announce "Housekeeping!" before letting themselves into a room. I have never had a privacy sign disrespected before either. This was a very upsetting experience. When I checked out of the room I relayed my experience to the front desk and also paid for my nearly inedible pizza. Her response was a "Sorry. I'm not sure why that happened." I was underwhelmed. I would have liked to have had her say that she would bring my concerns to a manager or that they would give the housekeeping (and culinary) staff some training. I left without any hope that either of these issues would come to the attention of someone who could work with staff on improving the experience for the guests.
Would I stay here again? Well, if attending a conference there I guess so. Would I CHOOSE this hotel to stay at when in the area? NO WAY! Would I recommend it to anyone? No.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank gbphipps
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Your comments at the desk at check out were immediately relayed to me and again I would like to apologize. The staff involved were spoken to and have learned a valuable lesson. I can assure you this is a rare occurence and I truly hope you give us another chance. You will be happy. Tom Palmer/GM

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here when visiting UMaine...the hotel is very close to the campus. The rooms were appealing, clean, and pleasantly surprising. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This is a great place to stay!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thanks for your review. We try to be more than just 'close to the University' with our comp wine reception, friendly staff and free wireless. We look forward to your next visit. Thanks again. Tom Palmer/GM

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Co-incidentally I was in Maine for a Black Bear hunt. Although I often look for low cost accomodations, I didn't resist the higher cost for an enterprise with a magnificent bronze sculpture of bears adjacent to the front entrance. The next surprise was the wine & cheese event in the evening. The limited menu of the in-house restaurant had several creative and intriguing offerings that seemed designed to pique the interests of a wide variety of dietary restrictions and certainly teased MY palate ! The morning breakfast pleasantly included self-made waffles hot from the waffle iron. I sighted two bears during the week's hunt and chose not to shoot. The weather was warm enough to delay the start of fall colorations to the end of the week. Just gorgeous !

Way-Boy 2

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Thanks for your review and thanks for staying with us during your bear hunt. We are glad you chose not to shoot the bears during your hunt!! I will pass on your comments to our chef. Tom Palmer/GM

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at Black Bear on our way to Nova Scotia. I used Priceline.com in an attempt to get a better deal on clearly overpriced area. I was hoping to get a room in a Hampton Inn but I got Black Bear instead. When we arrived we were tired from a 10 hour drive...my son just want to run around and play. There was no pool, and no where for kids to go. This is my fault for not checking but I was still disappointed with so little to do for him. The room was comfortable but older. We were talked into room service instead of going out to eat (b/c we arrived late and my son would have disrupted people in their tiny (15 X 15 ft) restaurant. The food was ok but the 18% charge for room service made it way over priced for what we rec'd. They provided a continental breakfast which was decent. I chose not to stay here on my way back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are a conference/convention center located minutes from the University of Maine. Unfortunately, we do not have a pool for your son. We are very popular with University guests and the many receptions and conferences that are held annually here at the Inn. I hope you give us another opportunity next time you are in the area. Tom Palmer/GM

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We try to stay at the Black Bear Inn every year on our annual trip to the Bangor area. Although this year we stayed only one night (usually we're there for 3-4 days), it was a very enjoyable stay. We checked in late, but the staff was very pleasant and efficient. The room was a great value for the price and the complimentary breakfast cannot be beat. We will definitely be back next year, hopefully for a longer stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rich N
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thanks for the positive feedback regarding your stay. We look forward to your yearly visit and we hope it is longer next year!!! Tom Palmer/GM

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My family and I recently returned to Orono for a long-awaited vacation to visit relatives, staying at a local camp on Pushaw Lake. I found myself required to conduct business for several days without internet access to do so. Being from the area originally, I headed to the Black Bear Inn to request assistance if possible. The desk staff and manager were tremendously accommodating, going well beyond any reasonable expectation to help me with the circumstance at hand. They gave me unlimited access to their web services for several hours over the course of two days to complete the work I was required to do. For 30 years, I have traveled the world in the course of my military and civil service for the U. S. government, but I can say with certainty that this was the finest customer service I have EVER experienced at any hotel or lodging facility in my career. I have stayed at the Inn several times previously on trips home and this trip just comfirmed what I already knew: whenever I return to my home town of Orono, Maine, I will ALWAYS stay at the Black Bear Inn for my lodging arrangements. Great Job Black Bear Inn and Thank You for the great Customer Service!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your very kind comments. Guest service is our number one priority and we work on it everyday. It was a pleasure making your vacation a little less stressful and we are glad you spent it in Maine!! Tom Palmer/GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orono
Best Western White House Inn
Bangor Inn & Suites
Bangor Inn & Suites
#5 of 26 in Bangor
Fairfield Inn by Marriott Bangor

Been to Black Bear Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!