“Wonderful staff, beautiful rooms....highly recommend”

Black Bear Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Orono
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Maine
“Wonderful staff, beautiful rooms....highly recommend”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I had to stay at the Black Bear Inn recently in order to attend a funeral of a lifelong friend. I was very happy to have such an easy check in process and such a friendly and welcoming staff. I got checked in in minutes, had a delicious cookie, and then headed to my room.

My room was clean, bright, and decorated with quilts and artwork depicting black bears. I thought the room was very tastefully decorated and very comfortable. I even had a small stuffed black bear on the bed to "keep me from being lonely." I purchased the bear (which his tag said I could) as the profits go to Cancer Care for Maine - one of the charities my friend who passed requested donations be directed to.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in the Bangor/Orono area. It is very conveniently located directly off the Stillwater Ave, Old Town exit of I-295 and is an easy drive to Bangor and the surrounding area.

I will be back to stay for a happier occasion - thank you to the staff for the amazing service. My only note is that I wish the restaurant were open past 8 PM (at least until 10) so that when I got back from visiting hours at 9 I could have had dinner or a drink in the restaurant instead of having to drive into town. I did have a great dinner at Pat's Pizza (the original!) that night in Orono...which was a real treat...so it all worked out.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
We definately appreciate your kind words. We have upgraded in many areas. Everyone seems to like the complimentary wine and cheese reception. It has been a big hit. Thank you and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Harrisville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed in 7 different hotels throughout our Main trip and the Black Bear was the most pleasing. The rooms were roomy, clean and beautifully decorated with a rustic lodge theme that was cozy and pleasing to the eye. (I thought it might me "hokey", but no!) With all that expected comfort, we were also pleased to be invited to a wine and cheese reception in the main lobby. That was a nice way to mingle with other guests and lighten-up after a long drive. This is a non-smoking hotel as was expected, but for my die-hard smoking friends, the lodge offers a clean, covered patio with ashtrays placed far from the possiblility of offending other guests. That's thoughtful!
The staff was very warm and welcoming and ready to offer help and information on the area. Great breakfast too. Orono is close to all the places one might be looking for without the very high prices of being right on the coast.

Room Tip: The beautiful Bear quilts are locally made and can be bought at the lodge
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thanks for your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed hotel and the complimentary wine and cheese reception. We just just started the 'reception' and it has gone very well. I will pass your comments on to our staff. Thanks again Tom Palmer/GM
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed here in May for two nights and was so disappointed on cleanliness. It's an older hotel; however, the age of hotel should not be an excuse for being dirty. The floor was not vacuumed; there was brown and red splatter marks on the wall and door; the sheets did not fit and there were stains on the bedspread; dust on the furniture; and dirt in the bathroom (floor, tub and counter). I know most the reviews were good for this hotel, so maybe this was a fluke... if so I hope these problems were resolved! The other thing was the man at the front desk was very sarcastic when we requested extra sheets (it was like pulling teeth to get some that actually fit!). Not at all what I had expected.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank NatureLover9331
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Sorry you had a bad experience someplace but it wasn't here. We don't have any men working the desk and we have no record of an incident like this in our log. Our staff is here to take care of any problems that may arise. Waiting 3+ months to post a responsee is not helpful wherever you stayed. Try us next time! Tom Palmer/GM
CANADA
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This is our second stay at the Black Bear Inn and we loved it as much as the first. They happily took our little Scottie as a guest and we appreciate that very much. We wanted a room with a fridge and the room they had for us did not have one. Guess what! They brought us one. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the breakfast and had room service one night. It was very good and reasonable. The decor is so cozy with the Bear quilts and the bear pictures over the bed. We went for walks on the main street and there are fast food outlets there if you want them. There is also a small shopping center within walking distance. We plan to return, this location is excellent for shopping in Bangor and only a few minutes drive away. Next time we will book ahead and get a suite with the fridge. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nononsense42
Thanks for your comments! We watch Tripadvisor for comments and we appreciate your kind words. See you soon! Tom Palmer/GM
Nashua, NH
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I have stayed at the Black Bear Inn several times over the past few years. It used to be a Best Western. The staff is very attentive and helpful. Fresh cookies at check in. Motorcycle friendly. The location is excellent, easy on/off highway. Walking distance to fast food, take out Chinese. Rooms are clean and comfortable, right down to the Teddy Bear to keep you company.
The shower was hot and powerful. I really like the individual Keurig coffee maker in the room! Will definitely stay again when I am in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Thank you for your kind words!!! We hear so many positive comments but to see it in writing makes all the difference in the world. I will share your comments with our staff. Thanks again!!
Tom
Fairfax, Vermont
Reviewed March 28, 2011

On a week long business trip, at different motels every night, what a relief it was to walk into our room at the Black Bear. This is Maine at it's best with handmade black bear quilts, William Beard "Dancing Bear" prints on the walls, warm colors, and even a small black bear on the bed to welcome us. An oasis of comfort on our trip. No traffic noise and only evergreens and stars out our window. Great continental breakfast. Hope we'll return on future trips. Final surprise: received a card in the mail after our stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 2bbfans
Thank you for your comments. They are always very helpful. We are feeling good about our positive changes especially the addition of our 2 new chefs. Please visit us again soon.....we are getiing better all the time!!! Thanks again, Tom
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Rooms are quiet and well maintained. The bad: hotel restaurant is ... Better avoid. The location is not great when you Want to walk to a restaurant, it's too far from Orono center. You have to drive.

• Stayed August 2010
thpalmer3, General Manager at Black Bear Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
Thanks for your comments. We are about a mile from the center of Orono but located right off exit 193 of I-95. We are 1 mile to the University of Maine and minutes north of the Bangor Mall. Unfortunately, you have to drive. Our cafe has great food and serves alcoholic beverages. Tom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orono
Hilton Garden Inn Bangor
Comfort Inn Bangor
Comfort Inn Bangor
#3 of 26 in Bangor
Milford Motel on the River

Been to Black Bear Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!