“Great place to stay while visiting a child attending UMaine”

University Inn Academic Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Orono
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 8, 2009

You have to pass the hotel to get to the campus. It's less than a mile away from UMaine and within walking distance to an authentic Mexican restaurant. It's perfect for visiting a child attending UMaine!

The hotel is clean and neat. One suggestion, it would be nice if guests could get a cup of tea or coffee in at night in the lobby or downstairs where breakfast is served. This is a feature offered by most hotels.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
traceywhitten23, Owner at University Inn Academic Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2009

Thank you very much for the feedback. We often offer coffee & tea in the evening down in the lounge but find that most times, it goes unused. We are happy to provide this whenever a guest requests it. Since your comment, we will work on finding an appropriate place in the front lobby.

There are newer reviews for University Inn Academic Suites

Reviewed June 15, 2009

Have graduated 2 sons and have a daughter at U maine. Have stayed in many hotels in the Bangor/Orono area over the last 9 years. Second floor riverside has balconies and best view all 4 seasons. Can't find a more convenient location. Seems everytime we stay something has been updated or upgraded. Latest are refurbished bathrooms that are more luxury than utility - and free WiFi in all rooms. Take a long steamy shower; exhaust is more than adequate to keep 'locker room" from migrating into the room. Come during Christmas holidays and experience the floor to ceiling tree in the all glass lobby. Staff could not be more friendly and willing to accomodate all requests. Breakfast is good. Several local restaurants will deliver full menu. Downside is lack of available electrical outlets for charging cellphones and laptops. Building may be old, but it is being lovingly cared for.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2009

nothing fancy, but clean rooms and friendly people
hallways don't smell the best
but over all great for the price
nice to have room with balcony overseeing the river but balcony will some wear and tear

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2009

This is a great little place, very clean, very comfortable, perfect for business or pleasure. I enjoyed the breakfast - which included cereal, oatmeal, 3 juice selections and bagels and enlish muffins. I used the workout room which had just what I needed to unwind with after day long meetings. The location is a walk away from a great little business area, "downtown" Orono and the riverside location is lovely. A great experience all around.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2009

We’ve been staying at the University Inn for 33 years and it’s a pleasure to see all the wonderful new upgrades. On the last visit, the bathroom s had been outfitted with top of the line fixtures. The staff is always pleasant and helpful and the complimentary continental breakfast makes it easy to get on the road early. We love the view of the river and of course, it’s not Orono without a visit to Pat’s Pizza. It’s within walking distance from the Inn. In all, I’d highly recommend the Inn to all travellers - it’s a five minute drive from Bangor’s major shopping malls but you get to enjoy the serenity of a quiet small town.
Judy & John, Nova Scotia

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2008

My daughter and I needed a place to stay for a few nights in Orono and chose the University Inn Academic Suites because it was close to where we needed to go.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was clean, comfortable and I love the baseboard heaters. No noisy window units.

The desk clerk apologized because the rooms are being renovated and she thought we might be bothered by the noise, but we weren't. A quick peek into the newly renovated rooms showed us that they'll be very nice when done. All new bathrooms etc.

The continental breakfast is basic but good. There's a lounge, although we didn't investigate it. Nice lobby with comfortable couches and chairs and a beautiful atrium effect from huge windows.

I was pleased to find that the wi-fi worked very well and was faster than most hotel wi-fi I've used.

Overall, we were very pleased with the service and comfort level here and will be returning whenever we're in Orono. I recommend it for anyone who wants a nice room at a good rate.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I have just returned from visiting my son who is a freshman at the University of Maine, Orono. As an "out of state" parent, I had no idea as to where to stay and selected the Univeristy Inn from the list of options, based solely on its proximity to the Uof Maine campus, so I could walk to campus and get a true picture of the environment that my son was now a part of.

Wow, my selection was ideal! The University Inn was perfect! A family-run inn....which was wonderful.

From the excellent customer service I experienced when first making my reservation (the staff went above and beyond to give me some tips/information about getting to Orono from the airport in Bangor), to meeting them on-site, offering excellent suggestions for places to dine, to my day of departuren, it felt like a family taking care of me.

In addition to having a place to sleep, the Inn offers a complimentary breakfast (cereal, muffins, bagels, coffee, juice) to start your day....there is even a work-out room (and no i didn't start to exercise, but I sure could have); a bar, and place to socialize. In addition to being a walking distance to the campus, it is just a few steps away from downtown Orono...so many conveniences.

They also have a "frequent stay card".......so as I return to see my son, my card will get stamped and I'll earn a free night along the way....With 4 years ahead of me, those "earned free nights" will be appreciated!

If you're going to visit anyone at the University of Maine, I would highly recommend the University Inn Academic Suites!!

Enjoy!

Stayed: October 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orono
Black Bear Inn and Conference Center
Hampton Inn Bangor
Hampton Inn Bangor
#1 of 26 in Bangor
The Country Inn at the Mall

Been to University Inn Academic Suites? Share your experiences!