“Don't settle for the 1st room”

The Grand Beach Inn
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed August 19, 2009

This hotel has an ideal location for families with young children. It's a shame they don't take any pride in the motel. In my opinion, they would give you the 1st room and hope you don't complain. The first room had missing shades on the windows, the toilet was ready to break and the a/c didn't work. The original AC was much larger which apparently broke down. Instead of replacing it with one of the same size, they put a smaller window a.c in it's place then covered the hole with styrofoam insulation. the grills were missing on the a.c so of course it didn't work. I asked for our room to be changed which they did without a problem. The next room was an improvement although I didn't necessarily love the black staining on the shower curtain and the rusted baseboard heater. The housekeeping staff is comprised of young college students from Czech Rep who are here to work for 2 months. I went to the office 3 times while I was there and each time someone else was there switching rooms.

The cafe (wish is not affiliated) should think about moving tto a new location. They were absolutely wonderful.

7  Thank fun4familyof5

Reviewed August 19, 2009

Please save your money, I have been going to old orchard for more than 20 years and have never been more disgusted in all my trips there. The whole place was filthy. I had to borrow the broom and vaccume from the house keeper that was out on the balcony sitting and smoking. Drive three miles to hannaford and buy cleaning supplies and clean the whole place. Have to call for t.p. and towels it's not automatic. I found a dirty sock in my bed not mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . The hot tub had yellow foam floating on it and it smelled. Had two horrible meals in the cafe, while I was eating I looked to my right the were about 15 dead bugs in the corner. I threw out socks for four children beacause they were so black from walking in the room. Dead bugs everywhere . I am now going to call AAA and let them know. I am also goin to notify the board of health in Maine.

9  Thank sfh2010
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We've been staying here for years. It's an older hotel that is located right accross the street from the most beautiful sandy beach. We don't tend to hang in our room, because we are to busy enjoying the beach and the Amusements associated with Old Orchard Beach. We stay here for it's location to the beach. The staff is friendly and accomodating. The beach is walking distance and the pool is warm and clean.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Beach Inn with reluctance due to the reviews here. But we didn't find it to be so terrible. Because of the price, you might expect it to be like a Holiday Inn or Hilton and end up disappointed. But you have to keep in mind that you are paying for location more than the quality of the hotel. We were told that is typical for all beach front hotels and went in expecting it.

The staff as very nice, our room was very spacious and clean. It did not have a smell. The decor was old but ok and the beds comfortable. We didn't need the AC, so we don't know if it worked or not, but everything else did. The path across the street leading to the beach was beside a nice home with beautiful flowers, offering a nice short walk. We thought the only access to wireless internet was in the office, but we ended up picking up the internet on our laptop and ipods.

The big plus to this hotel... not too close to the pier or crowds. We are not against touristy areas, but wanted more peace and quiet than the pier and downtown carnival area of the beach can offer. And believe me... that area can get very busy with crowds! It is best to come on weekdays. This hotel was just the right distance away. We still walked the beach to the pier even though it was a bit of a hike. You can take the trolley back and forth if you don't want to walk. Being on the NEast part of Grand Ave... it is closer to HWY 9 for quicker access to Portland and search for lighthouses.

If we wanted to get really picky, yes the decor could be updated. The carpet was somewhat outdated and had a stain but it was clean/vacuumed. The upholstered chair was soiled where the head usually rests. But because we had other chairs we instead ended up using that chair to hold cloths bags etc.

We had no problems with this hotel. You just have to go into these beach front hotels knowing what to expect. Most of them looked no better.

Reviewed August 11, 2009

Dirty. Run down. Over priced. And they said I had an updated room...HAH!!! The stove was older than me. The balcony was leaning. The smell in the room, the smell in the stairway, the smell on the balcony....I can only be thankful the weather was great and we spent most of our time on the beach. The a/c wasn't working. The carpets were so old and smelly. I really can't find one positive thing to say....Please read reviews and maybe this place will close down or shape up! I was robbed!

1  Thank eyeswideopen4ever
Reviewed August 4, 2009

This place should be condemned!! It smelled( one room smelled like cat pee)!! The rooms are run down and unclean. They have staff going through the staircases spraying air freshners to cover up the stink! AAA should be ashamed of giving this place a spot in their book; it is unfit for human habitation! Doesn't Maine have any health/code standards? There is also false advertising, overpricing. I should have looked here before I booked this place. I paid 188.00 for this health hazard. I heard one couple had a pizza box covering their broken window; I could go on and on but I think you have a picture of what this place is like.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank traveler5609
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Very expensive for a filthy room! Will never go back there! The pictures of the rooms on the web site do not match the room that we had! Dirty and filthy! We had bugs bite us all night, a window was broken and repaired with a cardborad box and duck tape. Air conditionner was not working. We had a kitchenette (!) with only 2 plates! No toaster or coffee maker. The hotel said they had a hot tub but, of course, it was out of order. The beach was the other side of the road and was very nice.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends