“There is not a better place in Old Orchard Beach. The accomodations are very clean and the owners treat us like family.”

Echo Motel & Oceanfront Cottages
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Feeding Hills, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We have been renting this property for 21 years and have been treated like family. We rent two of the three cottages they own and the family that rents the third cottage has been renting for 23 years. The property is very clean and includes towels, bed linens, gas grill, washer/dryer dishwasher and a pool plus much much more. Other properties do not offer as much as they do. The owners update every year. and take pride in their properties. They also own a motel unit. Go on line and check them out and then call for your next vacation. Be sure to notice they also have other cottages very near the beach.

Room Tip: There is not a bad location for any of the motel rooms and call early to try to get in. We book in...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Tuscana25

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Massapequa Park, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2011

After much online research I narrowed our summer vacation plans to Old Orchard Beach, ME. I put my trust in the Trip Advisor reviews and booked a week at the Echo Motel. My husband, 5 yr. old daughter and I stayed here the 2nd week in July and we couldn't have had a better motel and weather experience. Upon arriving I noticed right away that the pictures online did NOT do this place justice, it is more updated in person. True, it's not a 5 star hotel (as Paul mentioned to us) but I can definitely say it is impeccably clean (they even vacuum in front of the room, outside!), kudos to their housecleaning staff. We were in room #1, first kitchenette room on the bottom, next to the office. Prior to arriving I was concerned about the foot traffic and noise but was pleasantly surprised to find it pretty quiet. I loved that it was set in from the road and no through traffic on the street to the beach, which is only a 2 house walking distance. Upon arriving we encountered a couple of minor glitches in the room, the bathroom sink was leaking (from recent renovations) and the front burner of the efficiency stove didn't work (just needed to be plugged in). I mentioned both issues to the owners, Leslie & Paul and by the time we came back to our room that day both were fixed and we had no problems the rest of the week, now that's service!
The kitchenette was equipped with 2 burners, sink, dorm refrigerator, microwave, cart w/ cutting board, basin, sponge, dish soap, pots, pans, silverware, cooking utensils, bowls, plates, glasses, coffee cups, wine glasses, big salad bowl, colander, dish towels, coffee maker and toaster, ice cube tray. Bring paper towels/ napkins.
I agree with the other "reviewer" that the bathroom was a bit tight. It would've definitely been useful to have a detachable hand-held shower-head to bathe my 5 yr. old since there was not a bath tub and a couple of hooks or shelves in the shower stall (we used clothes hangers). Still, these things would NOT DETER us from staying here again.
Hair dryer is provided.
We would go to the beach the first half of the day, spray the sand off with the motel's hose, come back for lunch (which we utilized one of the two gas bbq's and picnic table with umbrella that are provided to motel guests (great amenity) then we would head to the heated pool (with outdoor shower) at the end of the L shaped motel. Although the motel is a no pet/ non-smoking motel (which we appreciated), smokers do have designated areas where they are allowed to smoke and unfortunately the pool was one of them cutting our pool time short on occasion.
The Pier, Playland and restaurants are a quick 15-20min. walk (not worth driving, nice walk). We ate dinner at Surf 6 our 1st and last night, eat outside if you like ambiance! Overall, we weren't very impressed with the restaurants in the nearby vicinity. Coming from Long Island, NY we were anticipating great seafood dishes with Maine lobster, shrimp, mussels, etc. WITH a view and still had food for a child...the majority of the restaurants offered fried food, not for us. Maybe if we went to another part of Maine it would have been different. We wound up going to Bugaboo Creek for steak and Famous Dave's for ribs (next to Cabela's) , both are child friendly. Had lunch at the Brunswick one day (a little risky with a child (beach booze crowd) but it turned out fine, bbq'd at the motel for dinner. Honestly, to have utilized the bbq for dinner might have worked out best.
Added bonus to end a perfect week, fireworks down at the Pier can be viewed perfectly from the beach every Thursday night in the summer.
Overall, The Echo Motel is definitely a place I would come back to if I were to visit Old Orchard Beach, ME again or I would love to stay in one of their beautiful cottage houses if another family tagged along!

2 Thank dtkadvisor
Milford, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 3, 2011

OUr family has been going to OOB for more than 30 years, and most places we have stayed have been just ok....mostly overpriced rundown motels. They charged what they did because of their location. Well, the Echo is super close to the beach and downtown, and you can't beat the cleanliness! The rooms are VERY reasonable even in the high season, and I can honestly say, everyone there was so nice! The housekeepers were sweet, as were the owners, and its the first place I've seen that changes the bedspreads, definite plus! The only drawback for me was for the people on the other side of the divider you can't see the tv from the bed. Can't wait to go back next year!

3 Thank ktoby78
milford, MA
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Just completed a week's vacation at the Echo Motel, what a nice clean motel. The service if family oriented, friendly and very reasonable. The owners, Paul an Leslie were so nice...our plan is to vacation there again next year. Highly recommend the Echo Motel for your vacation, just steps away from the beach...you'll love it.

Fran Anderson, Milford, MA

2 Thank nine73
Milford, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The service we received was just great!! The hotel rooms were extremely clean, housekeeping staff was very friendly and accomodating, and rooms were good size.. beach was walking distance away, under 2 minutes! And also close to downtown area so you can walk.. I liked the cleanliness the best, I actually saw the housekeepers strip the comforters off the bed, which I have never seen before.. the thing I least liked was that the doors lock automatically.. I suppose it is a good safety feature, but accidents happen and sometimes the door shuts and your key is inside.. it's especially unfortunate when it happens late at night and you have to disturb someone for a spare key! Other than that, I found this hotel to be much nicer than the previous hotel I stayed at for 6 years close by, and I would definitely rent here again!!!

Room Tip: I only stayed here once, and my room on the end was great because it was semi-private..
1 Thank KerrieA
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My family and I have been coming to the Echo for many years and love being there each and every time! We began taking our sons here on vacation and now that they are grown we recently brought our grandson for his first Maine vacation and he loves it too!!!

Paul and Leslie are the most gracious of hosts!! The Echo is exceptionally clean and well loved. Each time my husband and I are lucky enough to get away for a weekend the Echo is always our first and only choice. It is like coming home!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are sleeping units and kitchenettes. Depending on the length of your stay would recommend eit...
2 Thank summerisbest
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We just returned from the Echo Motel, Old Orchard Beach. We had stayed at many motels in the area and had the good fortune to experience the Echo Motel. The staff is attentive, our room was exceptionally clean, and our fellow guests were repeat visitors, which speaks volumes for any establishment. Without a doubt, we will come back to the Echo, but for a longer vacation.

Room Tip: Look Online
7 Thank PeggyLyn56