“Spotless but HOT!”

Ranked #33 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Spotless but HOT!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were scheduled to stay at this motel for two nights, but only stayed one. It was unusually hot for Maine when we arrived. This motel is very clean and cared for by the staff. However, it has no air conditioning. We spent the night with a box fan and ceiling fan running full blast and could not cool down the room without opening the door which led to a common deck/porch area. When we opened the door, several people were up late and smoking cigarettes non-stop. The only air we could get was loaded with cigarette smoke smell. The motel is right on the street and when the Harley motorcycles drive by at 2 a.m., it is really loud. This place and Old Orchard Beach downtown is not for folks who are used to quiet stays in quaint places. The owners were nice, but we did not receive a refund for our second night. I'm sure during cooler weather, this is a fine place to stay. The double bed standard rooms are really small with little ventilation but again, spotless.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lynnie l

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I made a last minute trip & after 10 calls I found Crosswinds. I chose the cottage and the price sounded average.. until I got there. It was hot and the room was a sauna. The ceiling fan & small window fan offered little relief. If I left the door open I had no privacy as the bed was directly in front of the door. The TV is actually smaller than my computer monitor & the bathroom door didnt close. When I tried to flush the toilet I had to hold it down hard then caught myself before falling in the tiny shower and Im not even exaggerating. I rinsed off w/ cold water, and quickly left the room. A very short walk down we found another motel that offered AC & had a vacancy so we immediately went back to ask for a refund citing the heat & size of the room. It had only been 30-40 min from check in. The owners quickly went from nice to cold, and asked if I had used or touched anything at all. I said I had used a towel to cool off and the bathroom 1 time & they said they'd have to charge me $25!!! I couldn't have been nicer and even said if it wasn't so hot I could've dealt with the rest, it was hotter in the room than outside! I CANNOT believe they charged me. In the 100's of motels I've stayed at not 1 charges within a certain time if unhappy..it's in most contracts! Beware of Crosswinds in the summer & the cottages don't offer privacy or a functional room. Don't touch a thing if you don't plan to stay or be prepared to pay!! That's just bad service and hospitality especially if the customer is being a good person about it!!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Jessica R
Pinckney, Michigan
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed in a cottage which was very comfortable and cozy. A short stroll to 7 miles of white sand beach and a dip in the Atlantic ocean. Easy walk to the pier area with all its attractions.
It's a great location to get to other sights such as Portland and the wharf, Freeport to LLBean and Boothbay Harbour for shopping.
The staff was very attentive, the owners are more than accomodating, just wonderfull!!
Will be back!!! The Rouleau's Michigan

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lionel7709
Fort Edward, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We had stayed here a few times , Always got the second floor room with a balcony, This property is across the street from the beach and some of the rooms has a view of the ocean in the distance, Rooms are good size with two queen size beds and a sofa sleeper , kitchenette , table and chairs, bath with tub , the only bad thing was the noise and rattle from the train that runs behind the property, but they have signs in the room to warn you so you don't get scared out of your wits at 2 am. The pool is clean and warm and there is an attached large hot tub, could use a better pump to power the jets in that though. But all in all great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank katydid8181
Granby, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My family arrived during the busiest part of the season and our room was ready for us. Yes the bathroom is small but it is sufficient for the stay. The point of being in Old Orchard is not to stay in your motel room all day. Loved the little tables and chairs on the upper deck. My family ate our take out meals there and the kids played games there when we were done with our daily tours of enjoying Old Orchard. The owners were awesome. They were hospitable and helped us to locate places to see and eat, Also, when I discovered that I did not have a bathing suit to go to the ocean, the owner offered me suits with tags still on them. When they fit me and my daughter, she told me that I could keep them. As for the train, it passes 1 or 2 times and lasts no more than 15 seconds. If you are from the city, the noise is much greater than that. No Big Deal. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone asking and will come back to this motel without hesitation in the future.

Room Tip: Stop at the grocery store and buy some food that you can put into fridge. Next time I will bring pl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa V
Bellingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have been coming here for years, and love it more and more each time. The motels are very clean as well as the cozy cottages in which have all been updated since my last visit. The staff is very friendly, and the owners are wonderful people. They have the best part of the beach. If your looking to just relax,swim, go Downtown, or just go for a walk on the beach this is the place to go.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank CLB70
Medway, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Spent 4 weeks at the Crosswinds motel and had a wonderful experience. The owners were very gracious and the staff were attentive. If you are looking for a quiet spot on the beach (never crowded) look no further. Would keep going back.

Room Tip: upper floors have a large balcony. room 8 and 15 have an ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple