“Great Location”

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Olney, Maryland
“Great Location”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I guess I thought this would be nicer than it was. I found the hotel (and Old Orchard Beach in general) to be a bit outdated, and the bed was way too soft. We stayed in a cabin and didn't realize it was right on such a busy street, so it was pretty loud. Not to mention the train! Yikes, I don't know how people can get used to that in the middle of the night but I guess you do. But our cabin was very clean, and the owner very nice. The beach is amazing, so I would stay there again for the location!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jlee2011
moontide1010, Owner at Moontide Motel, Cabins and Apartments, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
As owner of the Moontide property, I have to state that I am confused by the guests review. Perhaps your impression of Old Orchard Beach overall had an affect on our property as well. It is a quieter time of the season and you may have expected to see more going on after the Labor Day season had ended. I certainly feel you are entitled to your opinion of the area but must disagree with your assessment of our property.

Firstly, September traffic is virtually nonexistent compared to our peak season so I am very confused by your statement of staying on a "busy street". The mattresses are 2 years old which mean they have had 7 months of use overall. Perhaps, a pillow top mattress isn't for you.

The cabin kitchenettes have a rustic feel and that is why we don't describe them as cottages. They are freshly painted, have new siding , windows and doors, carpeting, renovated bathrooms, 2 fridges, a/c, stove. and flat screen tv's in both bedrooms and a wonderful outside, fenced in patio with table and chairs. The interior motif is a beach style theme. Photos on our website will attest to this description.

It is rare that we hear a comment about the train but I can understand your mention of it passing during the evening. However, it is once during the evening hours and we are across the street from the rail which runs behind other commercial properties.

I do disagree with the 3 star rating given for value. Based on all what I stated above and the fact that the cabin was immaculate and the owner service excellent, plus being 75 yards from a 7 mile beach, walking distance to the downtown area for shopping, dining and amenities and at a rate of $90 per night.....I find it hard to not think of this as an excellent value.

I was pleased to hear you say that you would stay with us again. We are always very careful when describing the cabins and their location when taking a reservation and answering questions over the phone. Should you choose to reserve with us again, please discuss with us prior to your arrival of any concerns you may have and we will certainly try our best to accommodate you as we do for all of our guests who stay with us. Jim

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Liverpool, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have been coming to OOB at as often as possible since I was a babe in arms. Over the years, I have stayed in many, many places long E. Grand Ave. so trust me when I say that the Moontide is THE gem of OOB. Located on the beach side of the street, it is close to the heart of the town, yet far enough away to offer a quiet and peaceful setting; especially during the off season. All of the units are impeccably clean and comfortable offering a warm and cozy setting that immediately makes you feel at home on the most beautiful beach on the southern coast of Maine. I have stayed in the motel, kitchenette, and several of the apartments (4, 6, 7) at different times of the season (from late spring in May, during the heart of summer in July and August, to late summer in September) during different phases of my life (Years ago in the apartment units with my family when my children were younger and now as a great girls getaway weekend-for shopping, eating lobster, and lounging on the beach or at the pool with friends!). I just love it here and it is my #1 recommendation to anyone traveling to Maine. Jim and Donna are the best 'hosts' along this 7 mile coast! If you stay here once, you'll be back! I know I will! It's simply the best!

Room Tip: The motel with the kitchenette is a wonderful value. The sleeping spaces are separate which allows f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank JeanneNY
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wow, what a wonderful time we had when we stayed at the Moontide motel. We had room #5 and even though it was small a little ( for 3 adults) we absolutely love the cleanlyness and cozyness of that room. We were close to the beach ( no main street to cross), had everytyhing nearby for our convinience.We hardly used the car. On top of that the weather couldn't have been better...
Thank you owners and staff for making our stay VERY VERY enjoyable

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sergerry
Fall River, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was my very first vacation in Old Orchard Beach & I have to say Moodtide exceeded all my expectations. I stayed in cabin "D" which offered 2 full size beds, a nice sized fridge & freezer. a flat screen TV, microwave & most importantly free WiFi. Cabin was extremely clean, and staff was more than accommodating(My check in time was 3 pm and I arrived at 10:30 am and was allowed to park my car until my room was ready). Property is kept lovely with beautiful flowers and plants all around. Just steps from the beach and about a 10 minute walk to The Pier you can't beat the price. Plan on staying here again next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wendy N
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had a warm welcome when we arrived, everything was ready for us and well explained. They had BBQ that we could use anytime. We appreciated that very much. The cabin was clean and smelled wonderfull. The owners are always smilling and available for any needs. We had great weather and a great stay. I recommend Moontide very much. Close to the beach. Thanks for making our vacation wonderfull.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank cococool
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Really happy to have found this motel. We had a regular room that included a good sized fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, windows that opened on two sides to let in fresh air, comfortable beds etc. Did I mention that this room, and the entire property, was ultra clean?! The location is also ideal; close to the beach and downtown, but not too close, and away from the train tracks! The owners are also very friendly and accommodating. Next time in OOB I will try their cabins. Thanks Jim, Donna and the staff for an enjoyable stay in OOB!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank legouge
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our daughter, my husband and I have just returned home from a week's stay at the Moontide for the second consecutive year. Our apartment was immaculate, nautically appointed and mere steps from 7 miles of sandy beach. The staff are efficient and friendly and our hosts engaging. My favourite part is the attention to detail both on the exterior and interior of the Moontide... our kitchen window overlooked a roof which was decorated with 3 pots of annuals-- morning glory and vincas nestled among driftwood... occasionally small birds enjoyed it as much as I. While wending her way to our porch, a friend compared the plant strewn walk way complete with a water fountain to a European alley way. Simply lovely! Thank you Donna & Jim. Hope to see you next year!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family