“Can't wait to return!”

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Canada
“Can't wait to return!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Just finished a 4 night stay at the moontide Motel, our first experience, and definitely not our last. Accomodations were spotlessly clean, location on the beach side of Grand Avenue, walking distance to the Pier but far enough away to be quiet, access to the beach quick and easy, it was everything we hoped for. Excellent value, friendly efficient service and oh that beach....miles to walk in both directions :).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We recently stayed in one of the cabins at the Moontide. The cabin was very cute and well maintained. It was extremely clean and worked very well for our family of 4. It was in a great location. Great customer service. I would highly recommend this property to anyone coming to Old Orchard Beach. Also, the wi-fi was free and worked well and my kids were happy to have cable and a TV of the their own!

Room Tip: The cabins were great so our family of four could have a little more room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bridget M
Websterville, Vermont
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I just booked my 31st stay at the Moontide Motel. I have gone there every year that I have traveled to Maine. The owners Jim and Donna always great there guest with a smile and a hand shake. My family has introduced two other families to the Moontide and both of those families love it as well. Thank you Moontide for the best vacations possible.

Room Tip: The cabins are the best. Book early in the year they go fast.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I had two nights booked to stay at the Moontide in late August. We were due to arrive on Saturday night and check out Monday morning. Unfortunately, I had to cancel our reservations due to the untimely arrival of Hurricane Irene. I held out as long as I could before canceling, but once both my home state and the state of Maine issued State of Emergency warnings, I knew there was no safe way we could make the drive there and back.

I was shocked at just how rude the woman on the other end of the phone was. She started out our conversation with a pleasant, soft voice and grew nastier by the moment. When I explained why we were canceling, she told me none of her other customers had canceled and THEY would all be able to make it. I told her we were arriving Saturday and departing Monday, and Irene would be arriving Saturday and departing Monday, so there was no way we could salvage part of our vacation and stick it out. She told me that "wasn't her problem." I then asked if any of her other customers had a short weekend stay planned on only those days and she admitted there were not. I asked her if, due to the impending hurricane and declared State of Emergency, she could give me any sort of refund back on our deposit. She told me she would not. She did not offer to reschedule our booked room for another day, she refused to give even a 25% refund back on our room, she did not offer any sort of upgrade that might entice us to try to go anyway. We had booked the smallest room and were not looking forward to having to spend two days in it. She told me that if we came up Saturday and stayed, we could get a day out of it. However, when I explained to her that her motel's check-in wasn't until 4pm and the rain was scheduled to start at around 3pm, she rudely said again that that "wasn't her problem."

I have never encountered someone so rude in this supposedly customer-oriented field in my life, and I vacation quite often. I will NEVER stay at this motel and, once informing others of the Moontide's abysmal customer service, they've agreed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SlinkyMagee
moontide1010, Owner at Moontide Motel, Cabins and Apartments, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Let me first explain that although Hurricane Irene was a concern for us on the coast of Maine, it was not to the degree that other parts much farther south of our area. As owners, we kept in touch with our public safety officials, including fire and police, in order to advise our incoming guests. It was with this information in mind that I tried to accommodate the guest as best as possible.

This is in response to Slinky who posted a review 2 months after her intended arrival. I do recall trying to explain to her that Hurricane Irene was unfortunate for all of us as owners as well. I advised her that as our policy clearly states we could not return her deposit so close to the arrival date. I also mentioned that we would hope she understood it to be fair that we both had to share in the loss. I explained that when my husband and I travel, we understand that our deposit is a written commitment to adhere to the deposit policy of that property. There have been times when a payment in full has been required prior to arrival for us and we have had to cancel losing in full. She did not want to hear that.

It was at that point that Slinky became very agitated and rude over the phone. In spite of that, I continued to offer her suggestions such as having her room ready at any time that she could arrive (Boston is less than 2 hours away) as opposed to what she states as our 4:00 check-in policy. I could not offer her an extra day as our property was closing on Labor Day. I'm a bit confused by her mention of a request for an upgrade to "entice her to come anyway" if she truly was concerned about the weather. I believe her comments regarding being in a small room for 2 days may have been part of the reason for cancelling as well. I did say that even thought the room was small, it was perfect for a couple. Nothing seemed to please her. Once it became obvious that she was unable to accept what I could offer for alternatives, she made some very impolite comments to me and she hung up the phone on me.

In our 35 years in business, it's rare that we can not find a way to accommodate a guest. We are not happy if you are not happy and we are sorry that this situation could not be resolved to her liking. It was a beautiful weekend weather wise and our guests enjoyed a wonderful weekend at the beach.

Donna Lee Harmon
Owner, Moontide Motel, Cabins & Apartments
Magog, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2011

It would be impossible not to like staying at this Motel. We stayed during the Labour Day weekend and had an absolutely wonderful time at the Moontide.

First off, the Motel is in a terrific location – close enough to be able to walk to the Pier , either on the beach or by sidewalk, but far enough away to avoid the worst of the crowds and the noise. There was a small convenience store a couple of blocks away, as well a few small shops where you can buy wake boards, books, or other beach essentials.

Parking is assigned (1 spot per room), and very closely monitored, with a parking ID provided and to be left in the car window. Not surprisingly, parking is at a premium along the strip (expect to pay up to $20 for the day in some places), but with the location of the Moontide being so great you could go for days without having to use your vehicle.

The best way to describe the room would be “cozy”. It was nicely decorated in a Beach theme – light blue walls, whitewashed wood headboards on the 2 double beds, pastel colored bed coverings, white wicker furniture for clothing storage, and plenty of lighting fixtures. It was very light and airy in the room. Our room came with A/C, a small fridge, and a microwave. There was also a small 4 cup coffee pot and complimentary Vermont coffee with the fixings. The TV was a new flat screen. You could tell that the property was a source of pride for the owners – everything is so well maintained. It was very clean.

Outside our room there was a little private patio area with 2 plastic chairs and a side table. The nicest touch was all the potted flowers around the walkways!! We enjoyed using the BBQ’s in the back yard – so be prepared and bring BBQ utensils and any other accessories ie tin plates to put burgers on etc. There was a nice pool that we could have used, but the ocean was so close we never felt the need to try the pool.

The only item that would not be considered top notch was the bathroom. The bathroom was very clean, which was great. Lots of towels and washcloths supplied. However, there is no bathtub, which can be a bit of an issue if you have children too small to be in the shower. Since the shower is a small stall, getting in there with children to wash can be a bit of a challenge! Also remember to bring your own hair blower, shampoo etc. It’s a motel, not a hotel :) Last point – the bathroom sink is the only place to rinse off any dishes etc you may use.

The motel is located just steps from the beach, with no road to cross. The big bonus was finding the little Beachside cantina that is located one block over. I can’t recall the name, but they serve a wonderful breakfast that you can eat right on their patio-by-the-beach. There is nothing that beats eating yummy pancakes or French toast while enjoying the sight and sound of the surf.

Friendly and helpful owners, super clean room, and in a wonderful location, and all at a very reasonable price. You would be hard-pressed to find better accommodations in Old Orchard. We will be back next year!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank The_Tetreaults
Enfield, Connecticut
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I would highly recommend the Moon Tide Motel to anyone looking for a wonderful, affordable, comfortable stay in Old Orchard Beach, ME.
My friends and I live over three hours away-and arrived later in the evening after the office was closed. Donna and Jim allowed us a late check- in, and we couldn't have been happier when we arrived. The Moon Tide is mere steps from the beach and we couldn't wait to get down there.
Our room was spotless and well air conditioned. Our kitchenette was very convenient for cooking breakfast and storing cold beverages. They also provide you a toaster, microwave, stove top, silverware, dish detergent ( things that most motels NEVER have)
I also enjoyed sitting outside on the porch watching the sunset at night...It was just the relaxing get-a-way that my boyfriend and I and our friends needed. We didn't get an opportunity to use the pool or BBQ- but they we spotless...and we will def take advantage next time.
I must also add that Jim and Donna were extremely friendly and very accomodating.
I am a die-hard Cape Cod traveler, but I think I may spend my next Summer vacation at the lovely Moon Tide Motel in Old Orchard Beach, ME.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alison L
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We whent three families less a father with a couple of daughters each 8,10,12,12, 14 and 14 ! found a little slice of easy living, simple times and a great beach. We were very well received and taken care of ! This place has a few option, thus this review aplies only to the 6A, 6B and 3A kitchenette units. although the kitchens are quite small, they more than do the job, as we wnated to eat outside anyhow ! the beach is literaly 150 feet away no road crossing. All I can say is loved it and had a blast ! will def. consider going back... the host are great people

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family