The Beau Rivage was the second stop on our family vacation and when we opened the door to our room we all looked at each other and my heart sunk. It was a very dreary room and dirty. Everything was old, visibly worn and hadn't seen a bucket of Mr Clean and water in a long time. The chair for the desk had dust, crumbs and jewelry beads where the cushion meets the back of the chair, I insisted that my children keep their shoes on at all times and not let the 70s bedspread touch them when they were in bed. The screens on the windows haven't been washed in years (I am serious). The screen in our bathroom that overlooked the train track that everyone is talking about, was also dirty and had a hole in it and toilet paper shoved in it to keep the bugs out. I believe that I read somewhere that the motel was built back in the sixties and the bathroom fixtures are the originals. The tub is all scratched and worn, sink and fixtures very worn, a very little shelf for everyone to put their stuff on. we had to live out of bags for 3 days - there wasn't enough room to leave much more than each of our toothbrushes out. Keeping on the space theme, the room was very tiny, you could not walk around either bed, just one path up the middle between the 2 doubles. No room for luggage so we were stepping over bags the whole time. The four of us could not sit together in the room and talk or play a game. Just not an inviting relaxing atmosphere at all.
We had the unfortunate luck of having 2 heavy smokers in the room next to us that went out on our shared balcony frequently throughout the day to smoke so we would have to shut our door constantly to keep the smoke from floating into our room.
The beds were very old and worn and the pillows were the thickness of a newspaper-worn right out. We had the most uncomfortable sleep ever. We did not use the kitchen facilities as I could not stomach using any of their dishes without scouring everything first, plus I did not want to be in that room a minute more than I had to. It is just hilarious that IOG mentioned the movie "My Cousin Vinny" as my husband said the exact same thing when the train pulled through the first night we were there.
After first seeing our room and knowing how disappointed my whole family was, I went to the front desk to see if we could get an upgrade to a clean, comfortable, modern room and I was told that there is only 1 room that has been renovated and it was not available so we agreed to suck it up and make the best of it. We had to prepay (and we understand why, as most people would leave when they saw the rooms- we certainly would have had we not had to prepay) and we would have lost our money if we left. Of course looking around Old Orchard Beach there were not a lot of options. Most every other motel looked to be run down as well. I agree with IOG, all of OOB is tired and run down, it was very difficult to find a place to eat that wasn't selling greasy pizza out of the side of a building. Storefronts are dirty, windows haven't been cleaned in forever. We have done OOB and won't be back.
I have come to the conclusion that those that have given the motel good reviews are the return guests that have been going there for many years and cannot give an unbiased review. The owners are taking advantage of the customers by insisting on prepayment and then not providing a clean, comfortable room for our enjoyment and relaxation.
We are late sleepers and rarely check out of a room by the checkout time. I just could not wait to get out of that place so I was up by 7am and had everyone in the family up, showered, dressed and out of there by 9am - the first time ever. When we checked into the Hampton Inn later that day I kicked off my shoes and walked on the carpet, fell on the bed and hugged the pillows. I was soooo glad to be in a clean modern hotel room and for the same price - Imagine that!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience all Old Orchard Beach, Maine has to offer when you stay at the Beau Rivage Motel. With a variety of clean, comfortable rooms and suites, you're within a short walking distance (1/4 Mile) to the Pier and the Palace Playland Oceanfront Amusement Park. Even closer, 75 yards, the famous 7 mile long sandy beach located across the street. On your return, you can grill up your favorites in our BBQ area, relax by the pool or have a soak in the hot tub. With microwaves and mini-frigs' in every room, and complimentary wifi, our friendly staff will make you feel right at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and Agoda so you can book your Beau Rivage Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beau Rivage Hotel Old Orchard Beach
- Hotel Beau Rivage
- Beau Rivage Motel Old Orchard Beach, Maine