“This was SO un-Maine...”
Review of Beau Rivage Motel

Beau Rivage Motel
Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed September 12, 2011

First of all, this motel (and town) is no where near the typical Maine experience. Both would fit in better along the tackiest part of the Jersey Shore. But on to the hotel...

The owner is downright rude. Obviously he has been burned by clientele who skipped out on him before, but it does fit the ambience. We reserved two rooms for ourselves for three nights, and one room for friends for the second and third night. When we arrived, we were asked to pay in full for everything. We ended up negotiating with the employee at the front desk and agreed we'd pay for our two rooms up front and our friend would pay for their room when they arrived the next afternoon.

At 10:30 the next morning, the phone rings and the owner tells us to pay for our friends room in full by 11:00 am or we would have to leave! We usually don't pay the balance until checkout at most places we stay at, but obviously this place was out of our league! The owner was downright rude!

Second, the rooms look clean at first glance, but when you look behind or under ANYTHING, it's filthy. We had checked the online registry for hotels with bedbugs, and at least we didn't have to deal with that.

Third, it's true about the train. Ever see the movie "My Cousin Vinny"? You got it...right behind the hotel and the entire place shakes. At least you can hear the whistle before it gets there and be warned.

If you are looking to vacation at a tacky beach town, and stay at a hotel that is dirty, with a rude owner and want to experience the "My Cousin Vinny" effect, then this is the place for you.

For us, never again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank IOG
BeachBall54, Manager at Beau Rivage Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback but find it unfortunate for us both that you had issues regarding our payment Policies. As is standard for many non-franchise Motels, all balances are paid upon check in as stated on our website and our confirmations. Our front desk clerk was not in a position to make exceptions. Also, we found it inopportune that you would find issues with the cleanliness of our rooms. Our room inspections are the single most important part of our day to assure guests a clean and comfortable room, and we apologize if our staff missed something. We are finding it very difficult to believe that 3 pairs of eyes missed so many things. We trust in the majority of our guests who have expressed numerous compliments on a day to day basis about how clean our place is. But you are entitled to your opinion and we appreciate your feedback nonetheless.

There are newer reviews for Beau Rivage Motel

Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night at the end of August 2011, we were getting a head start on a "kid free" weekend. We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the restaurants and such, having never been to OOB before we thought we'd try it for a night before continuing on to our destination the next day. I rarely complain about accomodations since we try to keep costs down and look for "value" hotels. This place was nothing like it's website. The rooms have not been updated for years, the bathroom and vanity fixtures are out of the 70's (maybe even the 60's)

There appears to be less parking spaces than rooms and those that are there are poorly arranged and small. The overall feel is "70's Spartan".
The mattress was about as comfortable as piece of plywood.

That being said there were a few "Good Points"
The room and grounds were kept quite clean.
The shower water pressure and temperature were well above average.
It had a very good location convenient to everything.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2011

The room seemed a bit dirty. A nasty smell blew in from the window AC unit. A good location, an easy walk to all beach attractions. Not sure what Maine defines as a "heated" pool, but we in NY have a different, and warmer, concept of a heated pool! Three hotels throughout Maine, all advertising heated pools, all three with cold water. Look around town, there are many choices of accomodations. I'm not saying to avoid this hotel, but one could do better.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2011

It's been the third time I stayed at the Beau Rivage in Old Orchard Beach. It's not a fancy hotel by any means, but it's close to the beach (just one block) and close to the pier (about 5 minutes walk).

My room was 16A, which had a King bed, a mini-fridge, a microwave and a very small TV (I had the feeling of going back in time... but who cares... I'm not going to OOB to watch TV). The room was quite spacious (more than I expected), but the bathroom was very small (the toilet was almost underneath the sink... but again, I didn't care). The room was very clean and had a little view of the ocean from my window (but not the beach), which was nice.

As other pointed out, there is a train that goes right behind the hotel many times a day... even at night! For a light sleeper like me, that wasn't good. It woke me up every night... and I had ear plugs. However, I assume that any hotel nearby would have the same problem... but that was annoying to say the least. Another thing I didn't like was the doors to the rooms. They were hard to open (at least mine) and they were making lots of noise. That was annoying too when many members of a family were going in and out of their nearby room very frequently.

I really liked the pool though... and most of all the spa! It's open until 11PM, which is great, and you're even allowed to bring some beers (if you're quiet and if you don't bring bottles), which is even greater. It was nice relaxing in the spa while chatting with other people.

Other than that... parking was free (one car) and coffee too in the morning. Staff was polite and helpful. As the name suggests, this hotel seems to be owned by a French Canadian family... so some staff were speaking perfect French, if that's any help to you.

Since it was at the end of August, I managed to have a rate of 109$/night, which I thought was a good price. I know that Old Orchard is very seasonal, but I wouldn't pay 200$ to stay here... but at the good price, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SatanicSurferz
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at the Beau Rivage Motel. I would definately stay there again. The staff were extremely knowledgeable in helping us get around and do things. They were also very good and recommended things and places to eat. The pool, hot tub and sauna were very sufficient to keep 4 children happy and content not to mention the mini walk to the beach.

The only downside was that my room did not have a tub and the shower was very small for an adult. The rooms (mine had a kitchenette) were sufficient and the kitchenette came with all of the dishes and utensils two people could use. We also enjoyed the BBQ area which was also equipped with all you need. Just step into the office and they give you a basket of utensils. The best part, I didn't have to clean them. The motel did all that.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had a great time, our room was great. We were very impressed on how clean the room was. It was awesome to BBQ right out back. With kids it is not always fun eating at resturants all week, so this worked great for us. We diffenitly want to return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank VikkiSL
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed at this motel with a friend for a couple of days. We got there about 12 noon on Sunday, even though check in was not until 3 pm, since our room was ready we were allowed to check in upon our arrival!!!

Staff was friendly throughout stay. Pool, hot tub and sun deck were very useful and used multiple times during our visit. Hotel is about 100 yards from beach o that not a problem either.

Room was spotless! Bathroom was also very very clean!

Room Tip: We stayedi n room # 26, which was on the second floor. No issues at all, id ask for that room again
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends