“Beware”
Review of The Edgewater

The Edgewater
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Beware!!!Please if you book this Motel That you keep a printed confirmation.They notified me by E mail in March for my 7/07 stay and when I ckeck In was told I was expected the night before.They did NOT have a Written Confimation of this and Told me unless I have Proof I booked 4 nights instead of 5 they would bill me the 5 nights.I thought in a business that they should have a file of my stay and not me that would have to show that I booked only 4 nights.Bad Business Practice! The rest of the Motel was OK its Pricey. The pool was very warm and Clean.The rooms are Small but Clean.The person that runs the front desk was Stuffy.I also wish it was more Family Friendly for small Children.It doesn't matter now I will not stay there again! There are Plenty of OceanFront Motels on OOB so do your homework!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Terry7033

Reviewed July 7, 2007

Like the title says, we have mixed feelings about our stay at this motel.

LIKES: The motel room (standard, non-oceanfront) was roomy, freshly painted, and spotlessly clean, but basic. The staff was friendly, from the time I booked the room, to recommendations for the best blueberry pancakes around, to check-out. The hotel is right on the beach, great access. It is located only a few blocks from the Pier Area, easy walk.

DISLIKES:
Mattresses - The beds are very uncomfortable. The pillows are old & lumpy.

Internet Access - The hotel next door offers free WI-FI for their guests. If you're staying at the Edgewater, you can purchase a 3-day access pass for $20.

Some of the things we disliked weren't necessarily within the control of the management. I am mentioning them only so others can make an informed decision.

Train - The Amtrak train runs about a block behind the hotel (and all the other hotels in this area), and can be noisy at various hours.

Early Hours - This is a family motel, and the kids tend to get up early. If you're a late sleeper, beware!

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank FishGirl5
A TripAdvisor Member
beacon falls ct.
Reviewed November 19, 2005

We stayed in one of the smaller rooms.......had to be one of the nicest motels we have ever stayed at...beautifully decorated.......and really spotless....what a great view of the ocean......i don't think we will ever stay any where else in old orchard beach.....the front office people were great also.....a really great place.....and to top it off the resturant next store..."josephs by the sea"...was excellent....highly recommended....

• Stayed: November 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2005

This is by far the best hotel in Old Orchard Beach. The roomas are newly renovated and are very clean. I have stayed at other hotels (good and bad) in Old rochard and this was just amazing. We rented the apartment room which had a master bedroom with kingsize bed and desk for working. It had another room with two single beds and had a nice family room with a futon and plenty of room to bring the armchars from the rooms into the family room. The family room had a television and so did the mastrer bedroom. The kitchen had nice swivel chairs and a table, a new stove and fridge and dishwasher(the last thing you want to do on vacation is wash dishes). The staff were very nice and friendly. The owner was also there and he was very kind and so nice. We had a blast and will stay here again for sure. Thanks Edgewater!

• Stayed: October 2005
13  Thank MontrealKid
Reviewed September 28, 2005

A fantastic hotel for families. Great heated pool, conveniently located to all the excitement and shopping. We had a wonderful time staying at the Edgewater hotel this summer. We were looking for a place to accommodate both us and the kids (ages 9-11-14) We found lots to do for all of us. The kids enjoyed the beach during the day and the heated pool in the evening and it was a quick walk to the amusement park and night life for all ages. The staff was most helpful and friendly. I highly reccommend it for anyone looking for the best Old Orchard has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2005
10  Thank Allison B
A TripAdvisor Member
Long Island, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2005

Spent a week in Late August 2005 at the Edgewater.

The Pros:
6 - Always had a parking space
7 - Staff friendly and helpful

The Cons:
1 - Rooms are very small with little room for clothing (But, from what I
could see all the hotels in the area are the same size)
2 - This annoyed me a little! We had a room with a small rear balcony
which was nice. But, you can not hang any towels over the railing or
put anything on this deck. We received a call around 9:30 am asking
us to remove the towels because there was going to be a wedding at
the resturant next door (which I believe the Edgewater owns). I can
understand towels hanging on the railings look sloppy but this is a
beach hotel. They did have a memo about not putting anything on the
deck in the room so we were given notice and we choose to break the
rules and got caught!
3 - The pool is smaller than it looks on the website. Unless you are actually
in the pool, there is only room for about 8 adults by the poolside. They
have about 5 wooden lounge chairs with no cushions and two other
wooden chairs on the other side of the pool. Rather uncomfortable!

This was our first and last trip to Old Orchard Beach. The actual beach
is great but the town is kind of 'rough around the edges'. If you like pizza
and fries and junk food every night then you are in heaven. We always
went out of town for dinner but took a walk into town for ice cream a
couple of nights. The amusment park was fun for our kids but get's old
quickly. Our kids are 7 and 9. If you have teen age kids they will love
it and if you like to drink, the pier is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 13, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Edgewater in Old Orchard Beach the for a long weekend in early June of 2005. We were quite impressed as we chose this hotel based on internet searches. Our room was billed as an 'Oceanview' room which meant that we had a side view of the ocean. 'Ocean front' rooms cost $50 more a night, but we believe that the Oceanview room was every bit as good. (I mean, Do you really sit in your room each day and look out the window?). The beach started right at the end of the building and parking lot. If this place were any closer to the water, it would be flooded at high tide!

Anyway, the room was kind of small, but neat as a pin. This was just about the cleanest motel room I have ever been in. The bathroom was clean, the rug was clean, and even the tub showed no wear whatsoever. The sink was outside of the bathroom, which is desirable as it allows one person to shower and the other to use the sink. There were over 30 channels of cable TV, and my wife and I were happy to be able to watch our favorite cable news at night before going to bed. A small fridge and microwave made the visit more enjoyable as well. The only thing I could possibly think of that needed to be changed or added would be internet access.
The parking was tight , but organised. The pool was very warm (it is heated, I believe), and the staff friendly, yet unobtrusive.

The motel is about a 4-5 minute walk to the town square, where all of the action is. This is an advantage as parking is at a premium near the town square, and costs $5-$10 a day.
Food, an amusement park, shopping, and bars, are all in this area.

Basically, we were very pleased, and recommend this motel.

20  Thank slotrod65