“An adorable little inn! A must stay!”
Review of The Edgewater

The Edgewater
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Buffalo, New York
“An adorable little inn! A must stay!”
Reviewed July 10, 2008

My birthday present from my husband this year was a trip to Old Orchard Beach in Maine. I had never been and he hadn't been since he was a child. He spent a lot of time calling motels, but many of them required at least a two night stay.

Luckily because of that, we stumbled across the Edgewater. Typically when I hear Motel, I get a little scared. But the Edgewater was wonderful! From the check in desk, to the rooms, everything was nicely decorated and well kept. In fact, in our room, everything looked as if it were brand new! And the box of salt water taffy inside was a nice touch!

As we walked around Old Orchard Beach we realized we made a very good choice, I can't imagine any of the other motels were this nice! You won't be disappointed in a stay here!

If you get a chance, head over to Joseph's next door for breakfast. The dinner menu looked a little pricey, but we had a phenomenal breakfast and for a great price!

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, everything!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Colchester, CT
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We just returned from a four night stay at the Edgewater and we are already looking forward to going back. The hotel was wonderful. Check-in took less than 5 minutes and check-out was even quicker. The staff were very friendly and helpful in answering questions regarding the area. The hotel room was spotless and the bathroom looked brand new. The beds were comfortable. The hotel was quiet. The only downside I could think of is that the rooms did not offer a safe to store your belongings.

The hotel is right on the beach and is also just a short walk to the pier. We thought the location was perfect - within walking distance to the pier yet far enough away to escape from the noise of downtown. The hotel has a heated pool, kept very clean, and it was never crowded. We enjoyed mornings at the beach and afternoons lounging poolside.

We had a wonderful time at the Edgewater and we will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Cleanliness; location.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank CTVaca101
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed June 18, 2008

The reviews were mixed for this smallish hotel. However, the price was decent for the area and it is on the beach. Old Orchard Beach has become old and tired and needs an upgrade.
Back to the hotel- rooms are 2 full sized beds and a bath, refrig and microwave. The hotel is old but well maintained in all respects. It is non-smoking (a plus) and CLEAN! Personnel were always friendly and helpful. My stay was a week before the tourist season offically begins so it was rather quiet. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Clean !
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed May 24, 2008

Spent one night at the Edgewater in May while visiting some friends/family. What a great property! I’m already excited about the possibility of a (longer) return trip.

The rooms are really well done. Great New England waterfront theme with wall boards, sea blue paint, and white cottage bedding. The beds were very comfortable. There’s also a great little love seat, small desk and nice TV with a good number of channels. Bathrooms were super clean, with the sink outside the bathroom and a usable window!

There was a heated pool right outside the door (although it was pouring when we visited so we weren’t brave enough to take the front desk up on their offer to open it!). The beach is equally close, with an easy access path right to the sand. We had a corner room that allowed us to see some sand and water right from our front door. Finally, the property is located in a great location, easily walkable to the main business area of OOB.

I should also mention the staff. Couldn’t have been nicer. Check-in was a breeze. They have newspapers and coffee in the lobby for you in the morning. My girlfriend left her wallet in the room when we checked out. She received a call shortly after we left informing her the cleaning staff had found the wallet. The front desk dug through it until they found a business card with a phone number to contact her.

The Edgewater is a great beach-front property with an outstanding staff. If I’m ever in the OOB area again, The Edgewater would be my first choice.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Millis, MA
Reviewed April 30, 2008

We loved Old Orchard Beach in the offseason on an unseasonably warm April day. The beach is long, clean and very peaceful. Lots of surfers! The Edgewater staff and accomodations were excellent in a calm, Maine way. All white bedding and light wood furnishings were crisp and bright with class instead of cottage-like. Just steps from the water!

Check in and check out were done quickly, with coffee and newspaper available in the office.

A moderately priced restaurant is just across the street and had a nice evening atmosphere and crowd.

Stayed April 2008
massachusetts
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Beware!!!Please if you book this Motel That you keep a printed confirmation.They notified me by E mail in March for my 7/07 stay and when I ckeck In was told I was expected the night before.They did NOT have a Written Confimation of this and Told me unless I have Proof I booked 4 nights instead of 5 they would bill me the 5 nights.I thought in a business that they should have a file of my stay and not me that would have to show that I booked only 4 nights.Bad Business Practice! The rest of the Motel was OK its Pricey. The pool was very warm and Clean.The rooms are Small but Clean.The person that runs the front desk was Stuffy.I also wish it was more Family Friendly for small Children.It doesn't matter now I will not stay there again! There are Plenty of OceanFront Motels on OOB so do your homework!

• Liked — Pool and oceanfront accomadations
  • Disliked — Business Practice/Price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Terry7033
Lehigh Valley, PA
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Like the title says, we have mixed feelings about our stay at this motel.

LIKES: The motel room (standard, non-oceanfront) was roomy, freshly painted, and spotlessly clean, but basic. The staff was friendly, from the time I booked the room, to recommendations for the best blueberry pancakes around, to check-out. The hotel is right on the beach, great access. It is located only a few blocks from the Pier Area, easy walk.

DISLIKES:
Mattresses - The beds are very uncomfortable. The pillows are old & lumpy.

Internet Access - The hotel next door offers free WI-FI for their guests. If you're staying at the Edgewater, you can purchase a 3-day access pass for $20.

Some of the things we disliked weren't necessarily within the control of the management. I am mentioning them only so others can make an informed decision.

Train - The Amtrak train runs about a block behind the hotel (and all the other hotels in this area), and can be noisy at various hours.

Early Hours - This is a family motel, and the kids tend to get up early. If you're a late sleeper, beware!

Stayed July 2007