“They have made a repeat customer out of me!”
Review of The Edgewater

The Edgewater
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Newport, RI
“They have made a repeat customer out of me!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

What strikes me about The Edgewater is how they made my husband and me feel like we were regulars to the hotel despite the fact that it was our first visit. They were so sweet and we loved that they acknowledged our anniversary when we arrived. From my first phone call to the establishment, I knew the proprietors cared about their customers. The woman who took my reservation was friendly and professional that I knew I had made the right choice before I even checked in.
The room itself was lovely. We had an Ocean Front room with a gas fireplace and a huge jacuzzi tub with a separate shower. The room was clean and the decor approriately beach themed. I felt like I was in my own private beach cottage!
Now, one thing to keep in mind is that this is an older property and though it is obvious that they keep up with maintance and renovations, it is not without its flaws. Some cracks in the grout lines around the tub and some fluxtuations in the power availability at 5pm (when eveyone is coming in from the beach and using electricity at the same time) does exist. These imperfections really didn't detract from our stay or make it any less romantic, I just think that when searching for a hotel it is nice to know all the facts so you know exactly what you are getting.
The Edgewater will now be our go to place when staying in Old Orchard as it is in walking distance from the pier and steps away from the ocean. We never had the need to use our car once we checked in.
The Ocean was surprisingly warm in Old Orchard for Maine standards, but if it is still too cold for you, The Edgewater has a nice sized pool. Some have complained about it size, I think they are really referring to the area allocated to the lounge chairs, as the pool itself was larger than some I have seen in many chain hotels. But if you want to lay out, the beach is huge and literally right at the hotel's doorstep.
If you are looking for a quaint inn in Old Orchard Beach with plenty of amenities and proximity to the ocean and the pier, then look no further than The Edgewater.

Room Tip: Waterfront rooms are pricey but worth it for a romantic getaway!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WeekendGetawayJunkie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The room was immaculate and gorgeous! Very clean! We stayed in the ocean view room with fireplace and hot tub both were great! The staff was beyond friendly and very helpful if we needed towels or directions to different towns! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Ladyluckypants
Windham, ME
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stay at the Edgewater when we decide for a quick getaway. We have stayed in ocean side rooms and ocean view rooms. The rooms are so clean and the staff is so friendly. The stay in the ocean view was awesome with a jacuzzi tub, fireplace and a beautiful view. We have stayed there a couple of times this winter and last and to be on the beach in the winter is amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank t54bruschi
Millis, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Our family of five stayed at 3 different hotels (due to availability) during our vacation in August 2012. The Edgewater was by far the best out of the 3. Our room had two queen beds, a living room with a futon, and a kitchenette. The room was clean and spacious and had hardwood floors. I would absolutely recommend this hotel and plan to return next summer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ryan C
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed in two different rooms during our stay. The first was an ocean view room on the second floor. It was nice and we enjoyed being able to hear the ocean at night. The shower was also very nice, with great water pressure for a motel. After the first night we moved to the ocean front room which was so lovely that words cannot describe. A beautiful view of the ocean on two sides of our room. 5 windows that open so that you can appreciate the ocean breeze and a fireplace in case the ocean breeze gets the room too chilly. We slept with the windows open every night and never felt anything but safe. The Edgewater is very well maintained, many of the other motels appear tired after years at the oceanfront but not the edgewater. It is very fresh, newly painted and looks the same as it did in the sixties. We enjoyed what felt like a step back in time with new amenities like the whirlpool tub and gas fireplace. We would stay here again but would have to have an oceanfront room. After staying in one of those anything else would be a let down.

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank jmgibson77
London
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We kicked off our trip to Maine and New Hampshire with a three night stay at the Edgewater Motel and it got the holiday off to a perfect start. Our room was huge, with a microwave, fridge, massive television and best of all a real jaccuzzi bath. It was spotlessly clean and the view of the ocean was just fabulous. despite it being damp and chilly throughout our stay we slept with a window open just to hear the sea - amazing.
Although there is no breakfast provided there is a very good restaurant next door which does a great breakfast - Joseph's By The Sea. You can also get coffee in the reception office from about 7.30am onwards which is an added bonus.
Best advice? Splash out and get an ocen view room with a balcony - you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get an Ocean View room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank McPidd
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had to look for a place to stay at the last minute. I chose the Edgewater only by its appearance as we drove by it late in the evening. It looked warm and friendly. The lobby was extremely clean. I booked 3 nights. My room was fresh, clean, with a blue & white color palette. I loved it. It was Maine at its best. The path to the ocean was outside my door, The Edgewater has a great deck overlooking the ocean with rocking chairs to truly enjoy yourself and the ocean view. Employees were detailed and anxious to see I was comfortable and had what I needed. I recommend while you experience Maine with your family, friends, or just by yourself...stay at the Edgewater.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends