“Perfect location!”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Lowell, Massachusetts
“Perfect location!”
Reviewed July 6, 2006

We stayed 3 nights at Alouette this 4th of July weekend. It was 130$/ per night which was not at all expensive for the location. Upon booking, we were told the room would be "very small"....and it was. But, there was a refridgerator and a cable TV, and air conditioner. Luckily, we had great weather, so we were out on the beach all day. The rooms were not made for spending the day in. Just sleeping and showering, they are very basic! I was slightly dismayed that they wanted us to "rent" beach chairs for 3$ per day and give a deposit.
Overall, I would stay at this place again just because of the location. The hotel itself is basic, at best.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank Travelergrl824

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2006

We've stayed at the Alouette Beach Resort for the last two years after Labor Day on our way up to Acadia National Park from North Carolina. One of the main criteria for our choosing the Alouette was that they have some rooms for pet owners and we travel with two Gordon Setters. The beach in front of the Alouette certainly must be one of the finest on the east coast and certainly the finest in Maine. Less than 100 steps from whatever unit you occupy with many units overlooking the ocean.

When I was growing up, 45-50 years ago, my folks vacationed in Maine every summer to escape Virginia heat and humidity. Old Orchard Beach still retains a lot of the old beach resort charm and has not succumbed to the blantant commercialism that has plagued so many beach venues. If you are looking for Hilton style accomodation, the Alouette will probably not be for you. But if you're looking for good value, excellent location, friendly staff and family type atmosphere, the Alouette is for you.

We also had our tandem bicycle with us and the Alouette makes a good base for several fantastic day trips toward Kennebunkport or toward the west. Get great bicycle touring maps provided by Maine DOT from any bike shop or at the visitors' center when entering Maine on I-95.

• Stayed September 2005
Montreal
Reviewed April 30, 2006

We just came back from Old Orchard Beach, we stayed at The Alouette for 3 nights and we really loved it. The room was great, it was overlooking the beach and it had a kitchenette, perfect for cooking breakfast or a small meal. It was very clean and cozy. The staff was extra nice and helpful. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank Tapenada
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 14, 2006

This was a fun hotel for a long weekend, right on the beach. Do not expect a fancy room. It is quite simple. However, the location is good -- on the water, minutes from the pier by foot. It was clean and comfortable.

Stayed September 2005
8 Thank parishoes
NY
Reviewed December 16, 2005

I have never stayed anyplace like this. The worst hotel I've ever been in. The room was so old. The screen door fell off every time you went on the porch. The bathroom had no where to put your supplies. Not even a chair. You had to crawl over the toilet to get to the shower. Not even a tissue in your room. This was the worst money I've ever spent. No one even asked if our stay was alright when we checked out. Never go there

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank magwheels
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed November 3, 2005

We have visited OOB and the Alouette for 3 years in a row now and have reservations for 2006. We have specific rooms that we try to reserve a year in advance. Can’t go wrong with a room with a balcony and situated right on the beach. The Kennedy's are the owners and make us feel like one of the family, remembering our names and watching our son grow from year to year. I'm sure that there are better priced and maybe even more elegant places to stay at Old Orchard Beach, though it’s the environment that brings us back to the Alouette from year to year. Clean rooms and privacy are what are in store. Just far enough away from the Pier to have silence, and exercise to walk in for all the entertainment.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank Lisa T
Westminster, Vermont
Reviewed August 21, 2005

My family enjoyed our stay at the Alouette from August 18 - August 21, 2005. We wanted to go to the beach and having traveled to many different countries and areas we were expecting a beach hotel/motel - that is exactly what we got. Many folks have complained about the price, but when you travel to an area during their peak season you had best be prepared to pay the going rates. I didn't feel that the Alouette was overpriced for August at Old Orchard Beach. If I compared it to other areas I've visited was it pricey for the quality of room? - yes, but to say they were overpriced during our visit I would not agree.

I do however agree with the individual that stated that this was not a 5 star hotel/motel. It is not, but to be honest most of the lodging facilities looked to be of the same quality - a beach side, lower end lodging facility. We stayed in room 11 C which I felt was good sized since when I called to make the reservation the gentleman warned me that floor space would be limited and tight. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that we were on the 2nd/top level of the group of rooms so no noise above us. On either side of us the rooms were full, but I never saw anyone or heard anyone so no complaints about the thin walls. We had a reasonable size balcony which I would recommend for ventalation (leaving the slider open), 2 extra chairs and lots of room to hang wet clothing.

The room consisted of 2 double beds, 1 sofa (pull out), a closet big enough to change in (read on as this became very useful), table with microwave and toaster, TV / Entertainment / Bureau unit, and a small kitchenette with sink, refrig, two burners, and a VERY small coffee pot. We didn't cook in the room except for breakfast which consisted of fruit, english muffins, and bagels (worked just fine). The coffee pot is very small which required several pots in the morning. Note - they do provide coffee, but bringing your own ensures you get what you want (quality wise). The one issue with the room was the bath facilities. The sink was right next to the sink, stove, and refrig. I didn't care for this set up but the only option because the lavatory was so small you had to walk in backwards in order to have room to shut the door. This alcove contained a toilet and stand up shower. I can't stress enough about the size. If one is a large individual there is no possible way you would be able to manuever in this area. We were able to dress in the closet which helped but I'm 5'5 and weigh 114 lbs and I had problems with appropriate room. I've never seen anything like it before. I do have to say that when I made the reservation they warned me that the bath would be tight, but this was crazy!

Anyway, general comments and items to consider - they provide no hangers (I guess you need to bring your own - 1st for me), the beds were OK - I bring my own pillow so no bother there and there are plenty for all the beds. There is tile in the kitchenette (entry way) and carpet in the rest of the area - which means sand / sand everywhere (remember you are at the beach), they provide dishes but very limited. The one saving grace to some of the compliants is that the housekeeping is immaculate. I was very impressed that things were so neat, tidy and clean. I have to say that all day you see folks working either in the rooms, on the grounds, or providing general maintenance.

Grounds - During our stay the facility was booked. There were always people (staff) around to help out - there's a pool that our kids enjoyed and again was very clean. The office staff was friendly and helpful. They have a restaurant onsight but we did not utilize. They have access to the beach which is primo and why I booked this resort. We went for the beach. We had a great time and truly enjoyed our morning walks and hanging out with the kids playing football, baseball, and trying to throw the frisbee everyday. You can see the fireworks from the beach area so no need to go into town. If you do venture into town it's only approx. 10 minutes walking - Old Orchard is a beach town - that's what you get. Lots of people milling around, eating food that is not necessarily on the diet list, but all in all having a great time.

I would go back to the Alouette if I were visiting Old Orchard again. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2005