“We love it every year, and will be back”

Alouette Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
New Hampshjire
“We love it every year, and will be back”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Alouette is a fantastic place to stay. It offers the beach, the excitement around The Pier, and the owners and staff could not be nicer. We go there every year for the second weekend of the month, for The New England Parkinson's Ride, and everything has been perfect.....including the weather.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Belfast, Maine
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband, myself and our family dog made the trip and fell in love with staying at Alouette. The room we had was just steps to the beach and though it was the busy season we always had plenty of room outside of our room for sitting also. The room was clean and we had a whole kitchenette for drinks and munchies. The staff was wonderful help and would schedule cleaning when we weren't there. The restaurant had wonderful breakfasts, pizza and burgers and dogs. They also grilled at the beach for lunch time. The beach is dog friendly, and our little guy made lots of new friends of other dogs and everyone was wonderful about keeping the beach clean. Short walk to the Pier where there are plenty of other restaurants, cold beer, stores and Pier Fries and fried Oreos for enjoyment. There's also a theme park with rides, it's like a throwback to another era. The best R&R and it was fun being a kid again! We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Even on the first floor we could hear and see the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We had a very lovely time, the room was nice and was very clean. The people in the office were very pleasent. We will go back there again.

Room Tip: nice and very clean and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Scott Township, PA
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We've been visiting Old Orchard Beach for almost 40 years, and The Alouette is now our favorite place to stay. The owner, his wife, and staff are friendly, helpful, and welcoming. The service is excellent; they respond quickly and cheerfully with any request. We've stayed in both a suite and a cottage and they are both clean and charming in their own special way. The location is beautiful; very close to the beach.
The indoor pool is an added attraction; it's a hidden gem. We've been there in the fall, winter, and summer. All amenities are more than satisfactory. They have a little restaurant and the breakfasts we ate there were fantastic. We love having our own little kitchen so we can cook on the days we don't dine out. What we like best is that it's like a home away from home...what we like least is leaving.

Room Tip: Book a room several months in advance; for summer rentals, even earlier.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Having never been to Old Orchard Beach I didn't know what to expect. Also having never been there, finding a hotel was daunting. I knew we needed someplace that would accommodate three adults and two kids and our preference was for one unit, not multiple hotel rooms. I came onto Trip Advisor and started my searching...

After several emails back and forth (I give this place an A+ for communication) I chose to stay in one of their apartments, which consisted of 2 bedrooms (one with a full bed, the other with both a full and a single), a living room with a fold out single, a bathroom, with a tub/shower, and a rather large kitchen given the size of the unit. We also had a great front porch with table and 4 chairs (except when it rained and we quickly realized the deck above was just boards so you had constant drips/leaks and couldn't sit out there).

Parking was right in front of the unit, which was very convenient, the indoor pool (my kids said it was really warm one day and freezing the next so they must have to drain and re-fill occasionally, but it was super clean) was around the corner, and the front office was out on the street.

The beach was literally STEPS from the door to the unit, which was by far my favorite part of the hotel, it's location. Also it was far enough down the stretch of beach that we had plenty of space to stretch out. The sand is just amazing and at low tide the beach is super wide. The August water temperature was bearable to the point where everyone in my family got in and did some boogie boarding. Just an aside in case you wondered...

The bedding was a bit tired, the mattresses strangely firm, the bathroom clean, the carpets had seen better days but with all the sand being tracked in, this was inherently going to be a problem on the 1st floor. The kitchen was large with a coffee pot (but no freaking basket filters, I mean really, couldn't you provide one per night?), a toaster, a full range and a fridge. There were plenty of glasses and plates and utensils.

The last night we were there, there was an OBNOXIOUS group of teenagers staying in a room above us. They were drunk and partying and kept coming down the exterior staircase and pee'ing against the wall of the building. It would have been nice if they hadn't rented a room to a group of teenagers...

So, all in all, we had a fabulous trip, but I think next time I'll look to stay someplace else. From what I could see, the normal hotel rooms were miniscule, and I probably won't splurge on such a large room next time ($900 for 3 nights).

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed at Neptune Motel which is a "sister property" I was told, to the Beachwalk and Alouette. Originally I had called for the Beachwalk and it was fully booked so they offered me a room at the Neptune. The photos online are very small so you can't really see.... That was my mistake. I have never seen anything like this for $189/night - you could not pay me that amount to stay there. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but I just could not stay there and we asked to be reimbursed for the second night and they refused. They would not even give me a receipt. The manager in the back had to come out when the clerk refused to give me a receipt. The motel is right by the train tracks and the trains run 3 times during the night - very loud. We did not sleep and left the next morning. Old, ratty blankets, mold in the fridge, stains on the sheets.

6 Thank geranium22
springield
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I stayed in room 10 with the family. Has a nice porch overlooking the ocean. The room was typical for the beach. The owner Fred and his wife are always around and are sooo freindly. They have a small restarant and the food is pretty good with an average cost. The beach is literally 10 feet from the hotel. The pier is a little bit of a walk but not too far. I have stayed there the last 4 years and will never go anywhere else at OOB.

Room Tip: Room 10 is extra large
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family