“I wish I had a better review but unfortunately I had a very bad experience.”

Sea Cliff House Motel
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My friend and I brought my 12 year old niece and two of her friends here for a weekend getaway.

The problems started before I even arrived. The motel charged me $10 each extra for each child even though it states clearly on the website ages 12 and under stay for free. When I discussed this with staff they told me I was wrong and they would be charging me the extra amount. I called back before we arrived to see why the rule was not being honored for me. The staff person (with attitude) acknowledged that I was overcharged and refunded me.

When we arrived a young man came running into our room yelling that we had 3 kids and not two and accused us of not telling them of the third child (we had). Later I witnessed the same young man stating to other customers that they could "lose the attitude."

I checked out the next day as planned as I had to head back to Portland to work the next day. My friend and the three kids stayed the next night before heading hours back to New Hampshire.

When I was leaving the staff convinced me to keep the $100 security on my card because it would be a hassle to transfer it to my friend's card (who was paying for the next night). I was weary of this and informed her that I needed the money back into my account within the earlier promised 4 days. They assured me it would not take any longer to refund to my account since she would be checking out on Sunday and either way the transaction wouldn't be started until Monday. They printed me out a confirmation and highlighted that the refund would be going back into my account not my friend"s when she leaves.

Thursday, the fourth day, came and went and the money was not in the account. I called to check on the status, they informed me they refunded the money to the wrong account. I informed them that I needed the money in the account by today which was why I was so worried about letting them keep it in the first place. The "manager" I was talking to asked me if he could call me back.

I received a call from a woman who stated that there was nothing they could do for me and that I would just have to deal with trying to get the money back on my own. I explained that I am working 14 hour shifts the next few days and do not have time to take care of this and as it was their mistake I requested they help. The lady stated that she doesn't see why they should have to help me since I am friends with the person they gave my money to. I reiterated that she lives hours away, I needed the money in the account by this day and I do not have the time right now to work on this, not to mention it was not my mistake.

I asked to speak with the owner and she stated "I will tell MY father-in-law that you called and if he has time maybe he will get back to you."

Today is almost two weeks since our stay there and I have not gotten any return calls and I am still out $100. I highly suggest looking elsewhere before considering staying at this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank Melissa M
Fran P, Owner at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

The Sea Cliff House Motel has been a family business for over thirty years with generations of satisfied customers returning annually. We take pride in the quality of our establishment and the customer service that we provide. We understand that operating a business within the hospitality industry is always a work in progress. Consequently, we continue to strive for better with regular maintenance and updates to successfully evolve and ensure customer satisfaction. We value the feedback that we receive from our clientele, because it gives us the opportunity to address any possible concerns or make necessary improvements.

However, we have a zero-tolerance policy for any type of vandalism to or on the Sea Cliff House Motel property or for any unlawful, violent, combative, or discriminatory behavior by any guests against other guests or staff. As a result of this policy and resistance to other documented policies and payment procedures ... our motel and certain staff members have become a target within a series of destructive and defamatory reviews. This is unfortunate and an abuse of the review process, because these types of retaliatory assertions are harmful to our success and do not accurately represent our business. However, we stand firmly behind all of our policies to preserve the tranquility of our guests. Further, we hope that the higher number of positive and legitimate reviews will outweigh the reviews posted by those with less than honorable intentions.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is the second year my boyfriend and I have come to stay at Sea Cliff House Motel. We stayed for an entire week (Sunday through Saturday) in Jacuzzi Room 2. Just like the first time we stayed, we LOVED the place. I really am baffled when I read through the reviews that talk about rude staff, since I have never encountered such an issue. The staff is nothing but pleasant, and they take really good care of you during your stay. It's a family-run business, and in my opinion they're good people who try to accommodate you as best they can.

If you read through my previous review from last year (2012), you can get more details and a better picture of what the rooms and location are like (awesome, of course!)

A little something extra to add....if you walk down the street (maybe like a 2 minute walk) there is a FABULOUS food place/convenience store called Tami Lynns Place. WOW, incredible people with incredible food/service. Definitely worth a look if you're staying at Sea Cliff, or even if you're not! I highly recommend it.

All in all, this is my favorite place to stay at in OOB, and will probably be the only place I will ever choose to stay at when visiting OOB! =) Love Sea Cliff House Motel!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I just returned from a business trip to the Bangor Maine area. Seeing it was a 270 ride from my home, I decided to start heading back about 100 miles south and stay at Old Orchard Beach. I haven't been at OOB since 1996. 70% of this beach community looks the same as it did then. OOB is a fun area for bars, beach food, and sun.Although this area in not known for business travel, I thought it would be fun to go back for a night .

I decided to stay at the Sea Cliff House, as it still not being the "in season" , I was able to get a room that fits my company's travel budget. I read some of the prior reviews on TA about the staff being rude. I must say that I spoke with a number of the staff at this motel, and they where nothing but friendly and accommodating.

The Hotel is located on the beach. It is literally a 20 step walk to the ocean. Great location as you are not in the real busy area of OOB , but about a 1/2 mile from the attractions. If you are going in the Summer, this could be helpful, especially as OOB has the reputation as a party place with bands playing all through the night. On this occasion, OOB was very quiet.

The rooms at this hotel are clean, and semi updated,I was imressed that they had WIFI, as I didn't expect it and it, and it gave me the opportunity to work.The rooms where set up as you walk in, there is a futon, TV, and semi kitchen area. As you walk further, there is the bedroom with one double bed. The bed actually was comfortable.

My only imediate suggestions would be to get rid of the bed linens. They had better days back in 1977. Go to Khols on Black Friday and buy 30 double bed covers, for $14.99, and replace the ones they currently use. Again, this motel is not the ideal spot for business, I wanted to just be near the ocean. This motel isn't ideal if you are looking to take your family or significant other for a luxury vacation. However, if you where looking looking for an economical beach motel to party at OOB , and hang out at the beach, this motel would certainly suffice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Fran and his family have for more than 20 years been wonderful to many of our family members and friends. The location is tremendous and the staff excellent. We have known Alex since he was a child and have the highest regard for him. As to the rooms they are always clean, every year there are improvements which we always anxiously forward to discovering (especially my son-law).Over the years we have stayed in almost every room from the Royal suite to a single room overlooking the ocean from the topmost. We have stayed there both in the off season and always in the summer. In short it is the best place on the beach as to facilities and staff. You are doing a great job Alex, keep it up. We used to travel from Vt. to vacation there, now for the last 8 years we have traveled from SC and will again this year. Hopefully for many more as well.
The Wells family

Room Tip: We like the kitchenette, but they are all an excellent value. Try an ocean view, outstanding.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently for our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We had stayed here twice before and both times were ok, but we came back because of the location next to the beach. I would not stay again.

I made the reservation 5 months in advance but was told that my credit card would be charged immediately, that I could pay cash when we arrived and then they would reimburse my credit card which would take a few days, (we pay cash at most places we stay). Ok, I guess they have a lot of guests skip out and not show up. But when we arrived there the gentleman at the desk, while he was friendly enough, explained to me that there would also be a $100.00 charge to my credit card in addition to the $160.00 I had already paid for the room, he said it was a fee that would be refunded after it was confirmed that nothing was broken or stolen from the room. I was not expecting that. My husband and I have stayed in some very nice places, from Maine to California, both small family type places to large chain hotels, and I have never had this type of charge to a credit card. They already have my credit card on file, so I would assume that if anything was found to be wrong that they would charge me anyway. I was just a pain to have the card charged and then have to have it reimbursed. Seemed silly to me. The person went on to say that they had "had a room cleaned out recently" and that was the reason for the fee. Considering we had stayed there before with no issues I felt this was overkill. But again they can do what they want. I just wish I had known about it in advance.

When we got to our room and opened the door the entire room smelled of disinfectant. Now, I appreciate a clean room, however we had to open all the windows and door to air it out for sometime. It was very over powering. I hope the cleaning staff will take that in to consideration. Also, thank goodness we brought our own pillows, the pillows on the bed were flat. And the bed was very uncomfortable.

The jacuzzi tub was nice as was the location near the beach, but overall we felt it was not good value for the price of the room. It was a very small room with a very small bathroom (enough room to barely turn around in). In the off season no less. Staff was friendly enough, but small room, small bathroom and crazy charges and expensive rates. I am sorry to say we won't be returning.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CindyH556
Fran P, Owner at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

In an effort to accommodate all of our guests in a fair and reasonable manner, while maintaining operational consistency within the office … we have found that updating and standardizing the Sea Cliff House Motel policies and practices has become necessary. We realize that charging a security deposit was not needed in earlier years. However, today’s society is different and while some establishments do not require security deposits … many others do. This is a common and nationwide practice today from large corporate hotels to smaller privately owned lodging. The security deposit acts as a deterrent against damage or theft in our guest rooms, while covering our costs, at least in part, if any damage or theft (including smoking) should occur. If the room is left in the same condition in which it was found, the security deposit will be refunded within 24 hours of checkout. Information about the security deposit is provided on our website, Sea Cliff House confirmations, and by all third party booking agencies. In addition, all members of the Sea Cliff House staff are required to convey this policy and request a verbal understanding from prospective guests before accepting any payment. Most of our guests have not had any objections to this policy and have gladly complied.

The Sea Cliff House Motel takes pride in our meticulous standards of cleanliness and care. We don’t mind receiving a complaint about an occasional lingering scent of our cleaning products, because we would rather your room be too clean than not clean enough. In addition, pillows can be easily replaced and we have an array of varying sized guest rooms and suites (based upon guest budget and room availability), accommodating one person or an entire family from singles, doubles, and kitchenettes to Jacuzzi rooms, fireplace and full kitchen suites, as well as the grand suite.

Customer satisfaction is paramount to the success of our business, as evident by the many repeat customers that we continue to receive. However, unexpected situations can arise and we would prefer that our guests contact us directly and give us the opportunity to address any issues or concerns at the time of their stay, rather than posting a negative and potentially harmful review after departure. Most concerns have simple solutions … resulting in happy customers.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have stayed at the Sea Cliff House on three occasions and were content with the hotel. On none of those occasions had we had any interactions with staff, however. We kept the place clean and no one came to change towels or clean during our three day stays. We recently had the misfortune to have to talk with the staff about a misunderstanding. We were treated rudely by staff on duty. The owner did nothing to help. Rather, he defended his staff and put the blame on the guests, as I have noticed him doing over and over on reviews I have read since. I would never go back there! Who needs to pay to be disrespected?

Room Tip: Don't bother. There are much nicer places along the beach.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
16  Thank blueteacher3
Fran P, Owner at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Quite often, our repeat annual customers choose to book the following year’s reservation during their current stay, to ensure that their preferred guest room or suite will be available for their next vacation, as in this case.

When booking in person, the guest is always given a printed confirmation, which indicates booked dates, room number, deposit and cancellation policies, balance due after paid deposit, and several other pertinent details.

We understand if unforeseen circumstances interfere with vacation plans … and as long as the cancellation is made no less than 14 days before a scheduled arrival, the customer will receive a full refund minus the cancellation fee and we’ll have a reasonable chance of finding a replacement guest for that room or suite.

Therefore, it is important to keep the printed or emailed (if booked online or by phone) confirmation in a safe place, especially when booking so far in advance, to avoid embarrassing situations like this, which will result in a forfeited deposit. Despite this customer’s display of anger, because she did not remember her previous reservation … the on-duty manager remained calm and professional. Unfortunately, because the customer abruptly ended the conversation … nothing more could be done.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent our first night in a beautiful room overseeing the ocean. I thought it was pricy at first, but then the spectacular view of the ocean and being able to walk 20' to the beach was priceless. Can't imagine their taxes on the ocean with that view. Alec and the other lady at the desk were very accommodating. I felt so at ease. They even recommended excellent places for dining. Was impressed that they sent me to down home places and not the hot spots that are tourist grabbers. I can't wait to come back!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple