“Nice Motel -- Poor customer service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Cliff House Motel

Sea Cliff House Motel
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Burlington, Vermont, United States
“Nice Motel -- Poor customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

We recently stayed at this motel and found it to be in a great location. The rooms were small, but functional and clean. The bathrooms were relatively new. We enjoyed the access to grills and the outdoor living area. Our stay would have been perfect if it hadn't been for the rude and at times angry staff. Numerous comments were made to our family and friends that were out of bounds. For example, one time my son thought I was checking out and looked into the office window. A staff member rudely came out and confronted my son asking him what he was doing and what he wanted. When my son explained what he was doing, the staff member snapped at him and told him that I wasn't there. I really hope that the staff gets it together at this place. They have obviously taken pains to keep the place in shape. They just need to realize that the customer comes first, ALWAYS!!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with two queen beds.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank VTSoxFan3300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

The staff at this hotel are incredibly rude and condescending. I wouldn't stay here again for any reason. The hotel itself wasn't too bad, the location was beautiful. There was absolutely NO mention of the $100 deposit in any of the conversations leading up to our stay or on the website. So not worth the attitude the staff gives to guests. I truly felt as if they expected me to thank them for allowing me to stay in their hotel. I have never ever written a bad review, in fact, I wouldn't even be doing so now if I thought it was just one isolated incident, but several families had similar experiences. Not a place I would ever go again. EVER.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank stacie r

Travelers are raving about these Old Orchard Beach hotels

Brattleboro, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

We pulled into the parking lot and it looked like locals were having a tailgate BBQ. Drinking and smoking. Not my cup of tea. Rooms were disgusting . . .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
14 Thank PurpleKittyDog
Fran P, Manager at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Sorry, wrong motel.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

If you are okay with rooms that have windows that don't lock, this is the place to stay! If you're okay with rooms that smell bad, this is the place to stay! I am not sure if we have a bad room but I will never stay here again. We checked with someone down the hall and their room window didn't lock either and it's an outside entry. We registered for four people and they gave us a futon for a second bed and they said the room slept five. Never again:(

• Stayed May 2012
9 Thank Sparkyfire
Fran P, Manager at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
On behalf of the owners, I would like to say that all doors and windows lock securely without fail. If a guest or employee reports any malfunctioning items, they are addressed accordingly. I can assure anyone that a window would be a very high priority. The safety and security of our guests is our highest value without question. If by chance an inoperative window was not reported to the management team, then I truly apologize for any inconvenience and hope that you reported this to the front desk. This is not how we operate our business. The owners of this establishment have taken great pride in their property for over 30 years.

I do not of which room you speak of but when guests call reservations, we clearly define the room types and bedding available. We always tell our guests that there is a futon available in the room if there are over 2 guests. We even recommend that our guests visit the website to see photos and descriptions of the rooms. We do not hide anything and are quite proud of our establishment.

I would like to address the odor issue as well. Our rooms are immaculately cleaned on a daily basis. If guests are cooking in a nearby room or someone is smoking outside, this may have caused the odor that you speak of. Our housekeeping staff are meticulous and we have daily inspections in each room. We have set high standards at the property and do not accept mediocrity from our housekeepers. So as far as the odor, I cannot answer this because I am one of the managers who does conduct inspections.

If we deem a room unacceptable for a mechanical issue or any odor issue from a previous guest, we block the room out until we strip it completely. Fortunately, this does not happen often because of the attention to detail that our folks take in each and every room.

I will meet with my fellow managers and find out if your complaint was reported to them and investigate further but this is the first that I am hearing of this.
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at the Seacliff Hotel the night prior to purchasing property in Old Orchard Beach. We had to reschedule the reservation due to a change in the closing date. The hotel charged us for both nights even though we had cancelled the first reservation according to the hotel policy. When we spoke with the owner's son and a female staff member about the double charge when we were checking out, they denied that we had been charged for the original reservation, though I had a copy of my credit card statement with me that clearly showed the charge for the night in question. The owner's son was extremely rude and disrespectful to us and was in fact yelling at us during the interaction. He eventually found that we had indeed been charged for 2 nights, but refused to apologize when asked to do so. His behavior was uncalled for, rude and abusive. They even charged us a $100 "damage deposit" on arrival. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone due to the poor customer service. This owner should get control of his staff and teach them how to treat customers.

Room Tip: As far away from the staff as possible
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Colleen W
Fran P, Manager at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
We have researched this complaint in great detail and waited to respond until all of our ducks were in a row. First of all, your booking was through a third party vendor and not booked either on our website or through our phone reservaton's system. It was the third party vendor that you booked through that caused the stress for everyone involved. It has actually taken more hours than I care to discuss on this forum to get through to this vendor to find out what went wrong. We (hotel) did not charge you as you stated in this report but it was "them". I will not expose their names as you already know who you booked through.

When the gentleman was trying to research this information when you were here, he had to access a private banking account to find out what was going on. It was not clear to him because of the way this had been booked (and refunded). It was not done through us or our computer system. At some point, your patience was running out and unfortunately we could not expose private information to you that was on the computer screen. Our front desk staff was protecting the information that was on the screen because it was just that - private. He was doing his best to find out what went wrong but it's difficult when everyone is beginning to lose their patience and you were demanding an apology when he was on your side to begin with.

A damage deposit fee is nothing new and all guests must pay this upon arrival. As explained, it is refunded back to your credit card the day that you check out - provided there is no damage in the room, no smoking, etc. We must protect our assets as most of the hotel chains do.

As far as customer service, we are sorry that this incident occured because we take great pride in the service that we provide to each and every guest. What occurred on this day seems to have been a case of everyone losing their patience. The front desk staff are very responsible individuals. They were clearly being quite protective of the company's banking information which was the only way he could get to the root of the issue at hand.

On behalf of the owners, I do hope that your issue has been resoloved with the booking engine vendor and I can assure you and everyone else that we value our guests and treat everyone with great respect.
Hudson, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great place for a wedding anniversary - on the beach - jacuzzi in the room - quiet at this time of year although numerous things just not open for the season yet - clean - reasonable - convenient.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brockville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

family run motel located on the ocean in Old Orchard beach maine.
walk to restaurants, waterfront amusement park, awesome loaction in residential area.

Room Tip: choose ground level for access to car, less stairs for kids
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CanadaBetty
Fran P, Owner at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and you bring up a very good point for families with children. If you are traveling with small children or anyone who may have difficulty with stairs, please be sure to ask for a ground floor when making your reservations. Just give us a call and we'll do our best to make your stay a comfortable one!

We truly are in the perfect location. Quiet Ocean Park is within walking distance, too. In the summer, it is a nice walk to get an evening (or afternoon) ice cream cone. The pier and amusements are less than 1 mile away (7/10 of mile) and it makes for a fun walk along the coast.

In just a matter of weeks, we should start seeing OOB waking up from the winter hibernation. You'll see the shops and restaurants opening and before you know it, summer will be in full swing.

Thank you again for your review. We're enjoying a warm season up here and we hope you return soon.