All reviews stayed in building different buildings private balcony hot tub two queen beds amtrak train second floor old orchard amusement park spent nights lobster can't wait to go back long weekend kitchenette ocean pier oob
Selected filters
Reviewed October 9, 2016

Most of the other hotels in the area seemed closed for the season, and I got a bargain price on a double room (2 kingsize beds). Oddly, the beds were in opposite ends of the room, but not separated by a door.
Nice and friendly staff, free parking, clean room.
The sea view, the beach, the low evening sun and the sound of the ocean . . . I slept like a log.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
wavesoceanfront, Public Relations Manager at Waves Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the room was not what you were looking for. We are in the process of some upgrades at the hotel, and hope that you will give us another try so you can see the new updates. We are happy to hear that the staff was friendly, and that you slept well while staying with us. Thank you and we hope to see you again.

Kara

Reviewed October 3, 2016

Although the place is very close to pier and the ocean, you are also surrounded by too many people. I thought having the bathroom between the beds meant privacy, well total separation for the entire weekend is how these rooms are designed, actually less space than a regular room with two beds. You can hear people coughing in the next room. They have a beautiful pool and hot tub but but too many people we didn't even try. The pictures of the rooms are deceptive, they are really small and we got an ocean view (not exactly) with 2 beds it was tiny and the coffee maker is a one cup disposable bag/basket so we bought one. The fitness center and cafe were also closed, I can see the end of season the cafe being closed but why the fitness center?If you are looking to be close and have kids this place would probably be great, but not if you looking for quiet.

Room tip: unless you get a cabin in the front, you only see the ocean from balcony we got ocean view
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

We apologize that your stay was not at the level we would like It to be. We are doing some upgrades to the Waves Ocean Front resort and hope you will come back to see them. If this is not a good fit for you, we would also recommend our other hotel The Sea View just a few doors down.
As for the fitness center I will look into that to see why it was closed at that time. Again thank you for your feedback, and we do hope to see you again soon.

Kara

Reviewed September 25, 2016

I choose this hotel because it was close to the pier and had a cafe and market on-site What I didn't know is that Old Orchard Beach basically shuts down after Labor Day. The cafe and market were closed as were most of the shops and restaurants in town and on the pier. Even Dunkin Donuts was closed! (The cafe did open for breakfast if you were on a tour bus but not for anyone else.)

Our room was dated especially the bathroom which was OK because it was clean, but the carpet in the bed area was filthy! I wouldn't walk barefoot on it because it was so disgusting. I'm not talking a spot or two. The entire area around the bed was black. Why would you even rent a room with carpet this dirty? And the rooms are not cheap even off season.

The wifi signal is very weak. When we first arrived we couldn't log in at all. I called the desk and a maintenance guy come up. He reset the router which was apparently near the room below us. We were on the second floor. We did get access, but for the next two days I was only able to get on in the bathroom which I'm guessing was just above the router.

The rooms have no microwaves which rereading the description now that I'm home I see if not listed, but I missed that. There are kitchenettes and refrigerators.

Unfortunately, we were committed to a three day stay, but I would not stay at Waves again. The first morning a Pest Control vehicle pulled up in front of our building and unloaded all sorts of traps and equipment and went in a room on the first floor. I don't know what that was for but it didn't give me a real comfortable feeling! And beware parking your car, I found a number of pieces of glass in the parking lot.

Room tip: We were in Building B, Room 24.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2016 via mobile

We decided to take a spur of the moment trip to the beach to enjoy the last few days of summer-like weather ... when I called a day ahead, I spoke with Shauna (who was very pleasant) and she offered me a deluxe king room on the top floor in the Horizon bldg (right on the beach!!) ... I had realistic expectations from looking at the photos online - the room was NOT glamorous, a little dated, but who cares? we had a private balcony with fantastic ocean views!!! It was wonderful being able to just walk a tiny distance to the beach and we didn't mind the 2 flights of stairs up to the room. We slept with the balcony door open to hear the waves all night (but that's not as soothing as you might think). Anyway, the 2nd day we were there our cleaning person used a strong air freshener (unfortunately I'm sensitive to chemicals ... so that triggered a reaction) so we opened all windows and the balcony door to air the place out. Later in the day new guests arrived in the room below and they hung out on their balcony smoking ... so now our room smelled like smoke (sigh!) so we (non-smokers) couldn't enjoy our balcony that evening. Then to top it off, they stayed out on the balcony talking loudly and laughing until 3:30am!!! Seriously ... go to bed people! We obviously closed the door but the walls are not very soundproof so we had a sleepless night. We had already asked to stay one more night since it was going to be another gorgeous sunny day but the room wasn't available so we asked for a quieter room with no air freshener! We were given a new room (oceanfront side of E building) right away so we could just move our stuff from one to the other. The room was really nice with a high vaulted ceiling ... and an ok ocean view. Still an easy walk just over a little sand dune to the beach. We were told the rooms around us had a group of older folks so we were hoping for a quieter night ... go figure we had the late night owls who spoke loudly right next to us (again, walls are paper thin - we could hear every word clear as can be!) plus the trains blowing their whistles all night long. Next time I'd definitely bring ear plugs! And maybe not bother paying extra for a deluxe oceanfront room since we can't control the 'neighbors'. The location was very convenient, the rooms were adequately clean, reasonably priced and it was such easy access to the beach ... for those reasons we'd probably return.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
wavesoceanfront, Public Relations Manager at Waves Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. We have over 220 room and the ones on the end are some of the most popular, and we are in the process of redoing that building. We hope you come back to see those changes.
I apologize for the loud talking and people smoking. We do have quiet hour after 10:00pm so you can always let the front desk know, and we would gladly take care of it for you. We are a non smoking hotel, but people do take advantage of the balcony. Again we would be more than willing to speak to guest about this problem.
I am so sorry that the air freshener bothered you we know it sometimes can be strong. We do have chemicals that are less harsh, so please when you visit us again just let the front desk associate know so the housekeeping can use a different product for you.
Again we apologize for those inconveniences and we truly appreciate your business! We look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2016 via mobile

Decided to have a get away with some friends & while searching for a place to stay, we found the Waves. With it being right on the beach it made it super easy to switch from the pool to the beach with no hassle at all. We found the room to be clean & the staff to be super friendly, everyone we encountered greeted us with a smile. This will definitely be our go-to when we come to Old Orchard Beach!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
wavesoceanfront, Guest Relations Manager at Waves Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Waves. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to hosting you again the future!