“Great location! Good Price”

Waves Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the end of June 2013. Our stay was pleasant enough, we arrived before check in and our room was not ready but the staff at the front desk gave us a parking pass so we could park in the lot and go to the beach till our room was ready. They took my cell number and called when the room was ready. We stayed in a divided room, second floor, in building F on the road side. It had a nice private balcony, with table and 2 chairs and a small view of the ocean. The room was a bit small, with 2 full size beds but we did manage to add a rolling cot to one sleeping area. The mattresses could stand to be replaced and we thought that adding some rooms with bunk beds would be a good idea for families, we wouldn't have needed to add a cot if we had bunks, but the cot was no charge. The room had a kitchenette with small fridge and a couple of electric burners and all the dishes and silverware needed, although we didn't use any. The bathroom was sufficient but small. You could barely close the door while standing in the bathroom. We wanted to suggest that they change the door to swing out or use pocket doors in the walls for these tight fitting areas if possible, it would greatly increase the ease of use of the bathroom doors. Overall our stay was fairly comfortable and the rooms were clean enough. The price was very good and the pool/hottub were very nice. The front desk clerks we saw were all very nice and friendly and helpful. We would stay here again when going to OOB.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family has been going to Old Orchard Beach for years. This was our first time at the waves resort and we loved it . The staff was wonderful. We asked for a cot and extra towels .and we got them quickly. We stayed in the H bldg. And we loved the room the separated bed gave us more space and the kids got their own space. Room was very clean . Pool was great we are definately going back

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 10, 2013

STAFF STEALS FROM ROOMS.!! We checked out after 3 awful days and i had left my wallet behind,because we were in such a hurry to get out of there.. I called on route to my home a few hours away and they never got back to me. finally they did the next day.said they checked the room and it wasn't there. they said were not responsible for lost items. lost items? it wasn't lost it was left behind. after several calls to the police and finally talked to the manager they said that they would continue to look around. maybe the wallet was hidden in the maids cart or thrown in a bush nearby.sounds like this happens a lot.a week later after getting and paying for duplicate creditcards license social security, medical cards etc etc. they call and say they found it. on the railroad tracks. really? how did it make it's way back to the hotel??very fishy. to top it off i had to pay to have it fed ex to my home!!. nightmare!! not even willing to pay to have it sent to my home. The hotel is dirty, the property is run down, pool is slimy and the noise is awful at night.STAY AWAY!!!

6  Thank ladyjazzy123
wavesoceanfront, General Manager at Waves Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

This review is a pathetic attempt at blackmailing our business. At first we were not going to respond to these lies but unfortunately it appears as though this guest is using Trip Advisor in an inappropriate way. Lafayette Hotels, which owns Waves Oceanfront Resort, has not become New England’s largest hotel company by mistreating or stealing from our guests. Here are the facts:
1) The guest reported the wallet stolen from her room upon checkout. She spoke with our head housekeeper who has worked for us over ten years, whom she called a thief after the room had been inspected. Next, our Front Desk Manger called to get the details and he inspected the room as well.
2) The guest’s daughter-in-law called accusing us of stealing the wallet with a new set of circumstances surrounding the events leading up to the wallet’s disappearance.
3) The General Manager called guest and also inspected room and reviewed surveillance video as well as searched all employees that came in contact with that room, and called the Old Orchard Beach Police.
4) Four days later, the police had the wallet returned to them with all money and credit cards still inside wallet.
5) Upon further review of street surveillance video we discovered that guest had drove off with said wallet SITTING ON The HOOD OF THEIR CAR! The wallet was not stolen.
6) This review showed up after wallet was returned because the guest didn’t want to pay to have their own wallet sent back to them after their own carelessness lead to the wallets disappearance in the first place.
7) We contacted guest and requested that post be taken down, as we did NOT steal anything. At which point the guest said “Oh yes, that was my daughter-in-law; I will tell her to remove it” (The daughter-in-law was not the person we spoke with, as this was not her wallet, so of course we did not call her back when we were working on the situation. We did call the owner of the wallet back repeatedly.)
This all taken into account there are several other issues that are just as blatant lies as the one about the wallet. Our slimy pool is actually a one-year-old mineral pool and spa with, waterfalls, bubblers, sun deck, wading pool, and elevator, handicap accessible lift that cost us $450,000.00. We have security on 24 hours a day to insure noise is not and issue. We spend hundreds of thousands of dollars each winter improving our property. For example, we have just replaced the beds in the building this guest stayed in at the cost of $20,000.00. The cash that was in the wallet could not have helped with that invoice, and one of the managers stealing the wallet would have been pointless. This unfortunate attempt to tarnish our reputation is a prefect example how this forum can be misused.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was our first trip to Old Orchard Beach. I must say that I was not as thrilled with the crowd there (as compared to York or Ogunquit). However, this is a review of the hotel and not the town. The hotel is older, but well maintained with a huge staff always available to assist. We had a room with 2 double beds and a kitchenette with a view of the ocean. The room was clean and comfortable, but would have been a little cramped if it weren't for the balcony. The kitchenette was minimally equipped, but we were able to prepare all the food we ate there. Our biggest complaint was the other guests, primarily in the pool area. There were a few people who had the nerve to smoke in the pool -- not just on the deck but actually while in the water. I did ask management to address the issue - and they did - but the smokers returned day after day pretending not to know the rules. I asked at the front desk why they don't just put up "no smoking" signs and was told that the guests kept removing them. We loved the location on the water, but the pool was so great, that we spent more time there than on the beach! If I HAD to go back to OOB, I would stay at Waves. I just don't think that OOB will be a vacation destination for our family in the future - even if it is more affordable than other Maine beach towns.

Room Tip: We thought it was well worth it to pay a little more for an upstairs room with the vaulted ceilings...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Garnacha11

Dear guest, thank you for your review. As a result of your experience we now have one of our associates on the pool deck enforcing our No Smoking rule as well as young children using the spa as a pool without parents and that all rules are followed so that all of our guests can be comfortable while enjoying our new Mineral pool and spa.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

well, I will tell you this was the best stay we have had in the last four years. The room was fabulous, the beds clean. we were facing the pool and i had my coffee looking at the beach. I found it refreshing that the housekeeper figure out that there were three in the room. and the next morning, there were towels for three people. I will definitely be staying and perhaps I'll be doing that without a softball tournament to wake up to.. the new pool is beautiful but I prefer the beach...

Room Tip: I didn't notice anything loud. Although, it took me a day to figure out the air conditioning. Ma...
1  Thank Michelle C

Thank you for your review. We love when the softball teams come to town as that is the sign that summer is coming! We hope you and your family would come back to visit us in the summer as I think the kids would have a wonderful time at the beach and in Old Orchard Beach!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here recently as part of a group. Upon entering the room was a foul smell; could have been from the old filthy carpets, or the 1980s curtains, etc., not sure. Before turning in for the night I decided to check the bed to ensure there were no bugs as the room seemed ideal based on first impression. To my surprise sure enough, there were. I asked another mom (nurse) to look at them and she said “they are crabs, not bed bugs”. I called the office and they sent over a young gal who when shown was mortified. Aside from the great location, and nice pool, this place was dated, and dirty.

6  Thank wrch5
wavesoceanfront, General Manager at Waves Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

When speaking to any Hotel operator the word bugs is one we take seriously. We have a state of the art laundry facility. As well as our pest control policy goes above and beyond industry standards. We have brought in the leaders in the area to inspect and treat all of our rooms and the room in question was found to be clear on any type of bug. During the group event that was at our resort, there were hundreds of teenage sports teams staying with us, sand fleas to ladybugs can be tracked into the rooms from time to time. We did receive the complaint, moved the guest to a new room and discounted their stay by 50%. We could not confirm the type of bug that was found in the room nor can we confirm how it got there. We can confirm the room has been cleaned and is secured at this time. It is true that the rooms in building F have not been updated yet. The furnishings are not from the 80’s, but we understand how if a guest is unhappy with their stay emotions can get the best of them and inflammatory remarks that are less than accurate can be made. In our opinion our staff addressed the situation and compensated the guests for their inconvenience appropriately.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Recently spent a few days here with my children, grandchildren and husband. We had two rooms, ours was E86 overlooking the ocean and my son and his family in the viking building room 150 across the street. We all loved it. Staff is so friendly here and go out of their way to help you. Pool and jacuzzi were a big hit with the entire family - warm and always clean. This was our first time in Old Orchard and we can not wait to come back next year and will be staying longer. Nothing better than waking up with the ocean view and hearing those waves crashing. Loved that we had the kitchen area which included everything we needed down to the silverware, for the times we did not want to eat out. Rooms were good size, location close enough to pier to walk. I would highly recommend this hotel to people. This will now be a yearly get away for our family

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Waking up to the sound of the ocean is very therapeutic, we hope that the memories you and your family made hear last a lifetime and we look forward to your return!