“The Anchorage in Ogunquit...a family tradition.”

The Anchorage By the Sea
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
New Albany, Indiana
Reviewed January 18, 2006

My wife, daughter, and I have vacationed for the past eight summers at THE ANCHORAGE. We are there each year over the 4th of July, and we stay the whole month. I have looked over all the previous reviews of this fine hotel and I just don't GET IT?! The Anchorage is a MARVELOUS property! References to the "Motel 6" are way off the mark. I have stayed in many FIVE STAR hotels, and granted, the amenities are average...but who goes to MAINE seeking out a five star hotel?! The Anchorage has GORGEOUS landscaping, nice rooms, great views, wonderfully clean pools, and a VERY FRIENDLY STAFF! What gives with all the GRUMPY reviews!? The Anchorage staff IS friendly...I have experienced nothing but KINDNESS from them over the years...and I stay each year for a MONTH! The location is perfect, the lawn overlooks the confluence of the Ogunquit River and the Ocean...if you look closely, not only can you watch the tide change, you can actually watch the river CHANGE directions instantaneously. We searched up and down the New England coast looking for a great town, great beach, and great hotel. We found it in THE ANCHORAGE. I stay there 30 days out of every year. It's a wonderful hotel and a family tradition for us! Ogunquit translated means "Beautiful Place By the Sea". THE ANCHORAGE is just that.

Stayed: July 2005
21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,069)

New York
Reviewed December 27, 2005

We,ve been staying at the Anchorage for years & just love it. We stayed over the Xmas By the Sea weekend & were delighted with the Homemade decorations the Anchorage Staff had decorated the property with it was so festive! The Staff is one of the friendlist & most helpful of any resort we have stayed in. The location & amenities are great for singles or families alike. The price is comperable to the route 1 properties but with a far better location on the ocean & you can walk to everything. The rooms we stay in are standard, but I know they have upscale rooms as well (they were doing renovations on one of their oceanside buildings while we were there). They upgrade something every year, with is what keeps us coming back. We come in the Summer too, but really like the offseason peacefulness.

• Stayed: December 2005
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
columbus, oh
Reviewed August 9, 2005

Just spent 6 wonderful days here, the anchorage was perfect for my family of four. the best location in town, all the pool facilities you could ask for. even kidde pools for our youngest! anyone who says this isnt a family resort, isnt a real family. the price was right compared to other properties with a far less location and no ocean view. we had a great room with a nice view of ogunquit beach & centrally located to everything in town. the staff is wonderful & took care of our every need and we had many. their pool side cafe is resonable priced and very good food. we had been reccommended by family friends who have been going here for years, & we will certainly be back for years to come.
Thank you Anchorage staff for making our summer of 2005 a memmerable one!
The olsen family

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2005

Me and my family have been going there for 13 years. I will break down the good from the bad.

PROS
-outdoor heated pool
-indoor heated pool
-sauna
-hot tub for teens and another for adults
-kiddie pool
-on marginal way
-close to town and beach, you just walk up a street
-bar/restuarant at the pool
-friendly guests
-if you have friends at another hotel they can come in and use the pools for a very small fee

CONs
-the rooms are a little small but deffinetly liveable
- check in is at 3 but you can do what we do is just go swimming until 3 if you get up early.
-pool closes at 9 so no late night swims
-towels are a little small but no one needs one that much bigger
-you must wear a ristband each day to show ur a guest

overall WE LOVE IT! The good outweights the bad. And if you are just there to relax and not critize then it is awesome!! I RECOMMEND STAYING THERE!!! hope this was helpful

• Stayed: July 2004
23  Thank cheers101
Reviewed July 12, 2005

Stayed at the Anchorage July '05 and Aug '04. In '04 we stayed in the old section---pros: right next to pool, grass and beach and don't have to cross road. Cons: the rooms are clean but drab and the bathroom is 2-star size which is irritating when you spend that much. We (2 adults) were outside most of the time so it didn't matter.

This summer we took 2 teens and stayed across the street in one of their cottages. Absolutely fabulous! It's newer and has beautiful decor, 2 sinks in large lav area, 2 bdrms and a pull-out sofa. Also has 3 TV's and a great kitchenette with sparkling clean dishes, utensils, pans and dishwasher. It was cheaper than getting 2 rooms. We will definitely go back there!

The only reason my rating is a 4 out of 5 is because the price is disgustingly high. You're paying for the plot of land more than the hotel however once you park you car you can walk just about everywhere!

(Except for the night that you drive to The Steakhouse in Wells, a few miles north--- top notch steaks and worth the 1- hr. wait)

I don't recommend the chowder at the Cabana by the pool- it's about $5 a cup and bland. Better off with David's ($3+ a cup) or Oarweed's.

Hope this helps---Ogunquit is awesome!

• Stayed: July 2005
21  Thank preseleni6
Whately MA
Reviewed May 13, 2005

Our 3rd stay at the Anchorage, 1st time was in the Graham House which was wonderful (just my husband and I), the room was large with a huge closet, very quiet. the second time we stayed pool side, brought the kids and my mother, rather disappointing. The room was very small and the pool was way over crowded with an unruly family reunion and nothing was done about it. The third time my husband and I went back with the kids and stayed in the Garden house across the street. The room was a bit bigger than pool side, small bathroom but better than the pool side room and very quiet. I will go back for the location. The staff was always accomodating. I will not pay for ocean view or pool side, those rooms are in serious need of updating. The new pool rules (wrist bands and signing out of towels) was a bit overboard but our kids love it.

Stayed: August 2004
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bolton, MA
Reviewed April 20, 2005

Really loved the location of this hotel. Situated alongside the Marginal Way and wonderful unobstructed views of the ocean. Outdoor pool and hot tub are already open and it was a huge thrill to be swimming in April. The pool facilities are excellent. The rooms are a little small and the bathrooms are tiny. Rooms were clean and the facility was very well maintained.

The outdoor and indoor pools were fantastic and the kids had a lot of fun there. We also liked the fact that the hotel is very close to town. This is a great place for families who like to hang out by the pool. I would definitely recommend a stay here. It also would be great for a family reunion.

There is a central bar/restaurant that is only offering breakfasts right now but in June will be offering breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner. This area was very pleasant and I would go back for lunch on another visit.

I hope you get a chance to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2005