“Gorgeous views, comfortable accommodations”

The Anchorage By the Sea
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Boston, MA
“Gorgeous views, comfortable accommodations”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

If you're traveling to Ogunquit, the Anchorage is in a wonderful location! Just outside the crowded downtown area, the Anchorage has indoor and outdoor pools, tons of lawn chairs facing the ocean, and a great little snack bar that also serves drinks. You can get to the Marginal Way (the pretty walking path that goes along the ocean to Perkin's Cove) right from the Anchorage property. Try to stay in the main buildings (not the Towers) to get a view of the ocean from your front balcony. It's about 5 minutes into town for all the restaurants and shops, and less than 10 minutes to the beach.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Fenway7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
New England
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I was real impressed with the place. I splurged on this 2 night stay to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. We stayed in the Towers (building across the street) and were loved the room. It was clean, new and very quiet. The location of the hotel is ideal. You can walk to the town center and enjoy a morning coffee. The shops and restaurants around the place were great. Each morning we walked along the Marginal Way path and took in the rocky coast. The pool was fun and the weather perfect. I might head back there with my husband and kids. We love places were we can walk to dinner and explore the surroundings.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank lisadgogo
leominster
Reviewed August 28, 2009

The best part of the Anchorage is definetly the location. The views of the ocean are beautiful. Our room which was located across the street at The Towers was extremely small for four people, the two double beds were more like twin beds and very uncomfortable, it was really for two people and for $259.00 a night not including anything you would think it would be a little bigger. Also, I found dead beetles in my towels and brought them down to the front desk, they never brought any more towels back up. My other disappointment was, the people at the front desk I thought were extremely unfriendly and not very helpful. The other incident we had was at the pool, my son had $4.00 and went and got a smoothie and told me it was $5.00 and that he gave the bartender his money because the bartender said this was for the other $1.00 which would be charged to my room, but when we checked out, the bartender charged us $5.00, so he actually kept the $4.00 as a tip, which I think was horrible and they shouldn't have children charging anything to the room. When I explained this to the night supervisor she just stared at me and nodded. Not a great experience, I just found the people to be very rude.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank shesha40
Connecticut
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Ogunquit is truly a great vacation spot and it is shown to be when many of the nearby hotels on the famous Shore Road are occupied completely. The town does have a good selection of hotels including the Anchorage by the Sea which is the resort i stayed at, the Meadowmere, Beachmere Inn and Sporhawk.Also on shore road are several shops that are popular to 11 o clock at night. People walk on the sidewalks and the town just seems to be very calm and peaceful. Now the beaches are another story. They are one of the cleanest beaches in the world and it shows with clear atlantic water even though it is colder than what an average person is used to. Still the beach is very enjoyable with the sand bars showing at the mouth of the ogunquit river at low tide. It is fun to walk 500 ft out into the atlantic.This town includes Perkins Cove which is the mainsite for Ogunquits best resturants.Sightseeing is really big in the town and it doesnt dissapoint with all the cruises and trolleys going in and around the town.Ogunquit was good for me and very enjoyable and should be good to anyone who vacations here.

Atlanta
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Just go back from a 4 day stay at the Anchorage. Let's first start with the service. From the minute we arrived for check in it was horrible. The person at the front desk was really rude. We asked questions & he gave us weird looks & was VERY rude with his responses. They also made us pay everything up front which I found odd. My Mom went to ask for an extra pillow & they told her no. Has anyone heard of a Hotel that has no extra pillows available. We go every year to Maine & usually go to Booth Bay but because of the distance we chose Ogunquit this year. The location is nice & the Hotel has a great view. The best part of the Hotel is the view & the pool area. The grounds are great. The rooms need to be updated BIG TIME... They are old & nasty looking. When I first arrived at my room I had a terrible smell. My Dad told me it was not big deal so I did not change the room the first night. After trying to sleep I was amazed of how bad the room actually smelled. I could not sleep it was SOOOO BAD. It was like an old mildew smell. I went down to the front desk early in the morning to tell them my problem. At first they wanted to fix it but I demanded to be moved. At first he said they has no rooms but he was able to find one right next to it. My 2nd room smelled better but there still was a smell. The Hotel & town was very crowded which was not that enjoyable. Next year we will not be going back to Ogunquit. The area seems like a tourist trap & not the experience you would expect for traveling to Maine.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sol8969
New Haven, CT
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a Maine vacation which included a two night stay in Ogunquit. We stayed at the Anchorage by the Sea for our second year in a row. It is a well maintained, clean and modest motel, with a few frills. We love the ocean views, the convenience of the pool, the bar, and the Grille/Restaurant on the grounds.

It is always quite crowded, there are plenty of children and the walls can be a bit thin, but in context of Ogunquit and with the ammenities in mind, I recommend this hotel to anyone who is travelling to town.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Talia F
Northford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Wonderful location to stay with young children. Has indoor heated pool for those unpredictable Maine cold days in addition to hot tubs and outdoor pool. Also, convenient to nearby beach. Plenty of eating places in area but best breakfast and lunch is on site. Great location for making family memories, especially if you bring along Grandmother (me!) as my daughter did!!!

No problems with room (basic sleeping room), efficient housekeeping staff. Do try and stay in a room on either "Port" or "Starboard" side...or Marginal Way (if you can book it). Book in advance = very popular location.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family