“Excellent Location”

Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Excellent Location”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and were first time travelers to Maine, and the Anchorage was exactly what we were looking for in a hotel. We parked the car when we arrived and never had to use it again - easy walks to Perkins Cove, Ogunquit Beach, and the shops and restaurants in "downtown" Ogunquit. The hotel grounds are quite nice, and the outdoor pool complex is a great place to spend a lazy afternoon. The only reason it gets four stars rather than five is price - it isn't cheap - but it appears comparable with the other similar places in the area. We plan to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erik E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I went here for my birthday weekend. Had a great time until we realized that we left our raincoats in the closet. It rained the first day we got there and then we hung them up in the closet. It was 80 and sunny the rest of the trip, so we forgot we left there in there. My $150 Northface and my girlfriend's $100 EMS raincoats were stolen by the maid service. We called the next day after we left and asked them to check for our coats . The customer service was horrible. It took the client service manager days to get back to me and he sounded like he was not even out of high school. He was worthless. He did not seem that it was important to get back to me right away and did nothing to help me out, his sense of urgency was not there. His email was unprofessional and he did not even have a proper signature at the bottom of his email. With my disappointment in him, I escalated the issue to the hotel general manager. He seemed nice, but was not able to help me. He went to the lost and found, spoke to the maid and housekeeping manager but he could not find our coats. So basically, the maid who cleaned our room took our jackets. I am disgusted with this place and urge people not to stay there, for your belongings might get stolen. I was pretty upset after the general manager came back to me and told me that the jackets were not in the hotel. He offered to file a police report for me, however I felt the police report was a waist of time. Surprisingly, he offered me nothing else. I thought he might offer a free stay or a gift certificate. But he did not offer me anything. I guess it was a good thing because I don't ever want to go back there and stay. My girlfriend is beside herself and I had just bought the jacket for her birthday. She has had trouble finding a raincoat that she liked so she loved this one when we got it at EMS. So, not only did we loose $250 on raincoats we had to spend money and buy them again. So basically, we were robbed of $500. People should stay at the Betty Doon hotel in Ogunquit if you get the chance. Great family owned hotel and super nice people.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Mattfols
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
While we understand guests are free to share their personal opinions here on TripAdvisor, we would like to take this opportunity to clarify what happened in this situation.

Upon check out, this guest explained their raincoats were missing. Our front desk clerk asked if the guest had eaten at any restaurants in town, specifically on days when it was raining. The guest said they had and our front desk clerk offered to call the restaurants to ask if they had the jackets. The guest declined the offer.

The Ogunquit Police department was contacted as we take matters of theft very seriously. After investigating, the police found no wrongdoing on the hotel's part. The housekeeper who cleaned the guest's room has been with us for twenty years and we have never received a complaint of this nature before.

We believe there was no wrongdoing on our part in this situation. We did everything possible to assist this guest.

The Anchorage By the Sea Staff
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Easy access to the marginal way, clean, and kid-friendly. The Anchorage by the Sea has the perfect location in town, right by the start of main street. We stayed on the property across Shore Road, and faced the back, which made it very quiet. Room was decorated nicely.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Joe S
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had been looking for a property when a family member mentionned this property, having stayed there last fall.

We decided to opt for it as well. We stayed in the Tower section for 5 days in early July, as this was the only one with availability for 2 rooms in the same section. We stayed on the third floor and the rooms had been recently renovated including the bathrooms. The room had a small but very private balcony and a mini refrigerator. We enjoyed this section since away from the music and pool in the main section, but just across the street.

Very good location, walk to restaurants ''Downtown'' Ogunquit and also to Perkins Cove by the Marginal Walkway along the shore. Trolley stop in front of hotel.

We used the restaurant/terrasse for breakfast each day - good value. Unfortunate that we could not pick-up lunch items to-go right after breakfast, as they were only served as of 11h30am.

We would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Tower section: request the 3rd floor: best way to get a quiet room as nobody above you, and most of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Andree123_12
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stumbled upon the Anchorage purely by accident two years ago and quickly fell in love with its charm, location, service and value. They have motel style rooms with great views of Ogunquit's beach as well as some hotel style rooms right across the street. This has been a great place for us and our three kids to vacation as they are near the beach, offer several pool options and the whole facility couldn't be any more family friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
St. Albans, VT
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We enjoy the Anchorage and its beautiful view of the Ogunquit beach. The property has a nice lawn with comfy chairs to watch the beach, as well as being located directly on Marginal Way, a footpath along the ocean. Beds were comfortable, and room nicely decorated. Very close to all downtown restaurants and shops. Amenities include Two pools (1 indoors, and 1 outside).. as well as hot tubs, restaurant, bar. The pool area fills quickly though.. and chairs are not always available.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie L
illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Nice, quiet, and clean hotel. 10 minute walk to a beautiful beach and inlet. Great pool and multiple hot tubs. Great location--close to all shops and restaurants. Never have to use your car. Can't complain but for $300 a night, I expected a little bit more.

• Stayed August 2013