“Rooms out of the 1970's”

The Anchorage By the Sea
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
New York City, New York
“Rooms out of the 1970's”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed for the second time at Anchorage by the Sea the end of August 2012 with my family. The last time I was there was 5 years ago and sadly the room I stayed in back then, which needed updating at that time, did not change. The bathroom was new the last time and still looked good but the bedspreads were so old that I got my sleeping bag out of the car and used that. The lamps and furniture were out of the 70's and the room smelled musty. On a positive note, the hotel seemed to have upgraded the outdoor pool, replaced some of the pool furniture and added many more lounge chairs on the beautiful lawn overlooking the ocean. The location is very convenient to town and a beautiful cove. At night towels were not available by the pools. I found out after bringing my own towel the second night that they keep them at the front desk. I am not sure why. The staff was pleasant at the front desk. I did not order any food so I can't comment on that. I made my complaints about the room known in the survey I received and even asked if the rooms they have available across the street were newer so that I might request those on a future visit. Nobody got back to me in response to my survey.

Room Tip: The motel style rooms closer to the pool have not been updated in a long time. I believe the rooms a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank sharon r
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear sharon r,

Thank you for your feedback. I would also like to thank you for choosing the Anchorage on your trip to Ogunquit. We appreciate your patronage.

I am sorry to hear your comments about some of our rooms. I can assure you all of the rooms have been remodeled within the past ten years ago. All of our rooms have been refurbished within the past two years. I would like to be clear, there are no rooms on the property that haven't been updated since the 70's. We will be renovating our rooms in our Starboard and Port buildings again this winter. The rooms in our Towers building were all renovated within the past five years. I am sorry no one got back to your survey. We receive many of them each day. I can assure you we do care about our customer's experience with us. It is our number one concern.

Thank you for your kind compliments about our friendly staff and new pool. The pool was our major renovations from this past winter. It's great to hear our guests are enjoying it. We keep the pool towels at the front desk at night as it is much more quiet and we find we don't need a regular pool attendant on. The front desk is right outside the indoor pool and a very short walk from the main pool. We seldom hear complaints about this.

Again, I apologize you were unhappy with your room. I wish you nothing but the best on your future travels. Have a lovely fall and take care.

Best Regards,
Christin R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Roslyn, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The perfect location in Ogunquit - you park your car in their lot and never have to move it. Great restaurants in walking distance - great beaches along Marginal Way which are very quiet and secluded. There is a main beach in walking distance also. The water is clean, crisp and beautiful. The scenery is spectacular along Marginal Way. The view from the hotel is beautiful. The hotel is right on Marginal Way. There are plenty of lounge chairs around the pool and plenty of lounge chairs on the grass overlooking the ocean. Everywhere you turn is beautiful atmosphere. The hotel has a pool and a whirlpool - there is a place to pick up breakfast and lunch and it's very convenient to take lunch to go to the beach. The room and bathroom were just renovated - the room is somewhat small and there is no view from inside the room. The view is outside the motel room - there is a long balcony which you have a view of the ocean. There are rooms across the street - non-ocean. We like to stay on the ocean side because of the convenience and location and view of the ocean. A few drawbacks of the hotel; the pool gets very crowded with a lot of little kids - no room to swim, just to cool off but the adult whirlpool is less crowded. We went on vacation in the beginning of August - a very busy time - the weather was spectacular. We were outdoors every day of the vacation which added to the vacation. Great restaurants to recommend: Prime Steakhouse, Wild Blueberry (great for breakfast and lunch); down the street a great French restaurant. At Dock's Square there's a brand new chic restaurant - beautiful views of the ocean and of course, plenty of great lobster wherever you turn. The food is very gourmet and very good value in Ogunquit. Great spot to go on vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean side - 2nd floor better view and less noisy; room further down the balcony closer...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear GaryScott22,

Thank you for your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We greatly value our guests' opinion. I would also like to thank you for choosing the Anchorage as your hotel of choice for your visit to Ogunquit this past August. We appreciate your patronage.

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful comments about our property. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for you many kind compliments about our location and grounds. We are certainly lucky to have such an ideal spot with breathtaking views.

Again, thank you for all of your feedback. It is always wonderful to receive positive reviews from our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay was. Please come back and visit us again soon. We would love to welcome you back on a future trip! Have a wonderful fall.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was very enjoyable. It has plenty of hot tubs & an indoor & outdoor pool. Make sure to book early enough if there is a specific room you are looking for. They book up quickly for summer & fall! Found this place online & was not disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Kristen056,

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback about your stay with us. I would also like to thank you for choosing the Anchorage on your trip to Ogunquit.

Thank you for your kind compliments about our property! It is so wonderful to receive such positive feedback from our guests. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guests' comfort and happiness is our number one concern.

Please come back and visit us again soon! We would love to welcome you back. Have a wonderful fall and take care!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I highly recommend "Anchorage by the Sea" and I plan to return as often as possible. The highlights of our stay were: 1) very helpful reservation staff, 2) great welcome with helpful advice on where to eat and what to see and do, 3) we stayed in the towers and it was very lovely, clean, comfortable and quiet, 4) free parking, 5) outstanding views on the property with multiple options for pools and hot tubs, 6) easy access to the "marginal way" which is a sidewalk that takes you along the ocean, and 7) great value. Please note: 1) the towers are across the street from the main hotel - but still very lovely. Run, don't walk, to this great resort. Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Tower rooms are across the street and do not have ocean views but are very lovely and have private d...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear WestBrooklyn,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review here on TripAdvisor! It's always nice to receive such great feedback from our guests. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I would also like to thank you for choosing the Anchorage on your recent trip to Ogunquit. We appreciate your patronage.

Thank you for all of your kind compliments. It is guests like you that make our jobs so rewarding. Our number one concern is the comfort and happiness of our customers. Thank you for your lovely comments about our helpful staff. They all work very hard throughout the season and it is nice to hear their efforts don't go unnoticed.

It is wonderful to hear you would return and stay with us again. We would be happy to welcome you back on a future trip to Ogunquit, Until then, have a lovely fall and take care.

Boston
Reviewed September 18, 2012

nice staff very clean , next to water The facilities were spotless and the lcoation perfect for walks on the marginal way quick stroll to the beautiful beach and local shops. The views are incredible!!

Bartender was great!

Dear Gt1950,

Thank you so much for giving us your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We greatly value our guests' opinion. I would also like to thank you for choosing the Anchorage as your hotel of choice on your trip to Ogunquit. We appreciate your patronage.

Thank you for all of your kind compliments. I am happy to hear you were pleased with our great location. I am also glad to hear you found our facilities to be "spotless." We always love receiving positive feedback about our property.

Thank you for wonderful great review! Please come back and visit us again soon. We're open year-round and would love to welcome you back on a future trip! Have a lovely fall!

Best Wishes,
Pleasantville
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We've stayed at several location in the area and always wanted to have the "good rooms" at The Anchorage. Since we opted to go after Labor Day, the Studio Suite was available and really was a great room with superb overview of the beach. Thoroughly enjoyed swimming in the pool and hot tubbing after the beach as the facility was clean, fairly empty and attractive. I'm sure that isn't the case on weekend or during July / August when it's likely full of families. Bathroom amenities could have been a bit better for the money spent. We would like to return.

Room Tip: Rooms along the Marginal Way are best but pricier.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Roomservice56,

Thank you so much for your review here on TripAdvisor. We always love hearing positive feedback from our guests. I would also like to thank you for choosing the Anchorage on your recent trip to Ogunquit. We greatly appreciate your patronage.

I am happy to hear you were able to enjoy one of our Studio rooms during your trip. It sounds like you visited during a more quiet time of our season. That is always a beautiful time to visit Ogunquit. As you pointed out, it is certainly a more calm time of year here. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation with us.

Again, we greatly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. Thank you for you kind compliments. Please come back and visit with us again. We would be delighted to welcome you back on a future trip!

Warm Regards,
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Check in was quick and painless, staff were couteous and professional. The young people on staff including waitsatff and house keeping were friendly, welcoming and interesting. The facilities were spotless and the lcoation perfect for walks on the marginal way, dining in Perkins Cove, quick stroll to the beautiful beach and local shops. The views are incredible!! Would not hesitate to staff here again.

Room Tip: Many rooms have great views but to get the most bang for your buck stay in a room without a view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Joe O,

Thank you so much for your review here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We would also like to thank you for choosing the Anchorage as your hotel of choice for your trip to Ogunquit.

Thank you so much for your kind compliments about all of our staff members. They have all been working hard all summer long and it's nice to hear their efforts don't go unnoticed. I would also like to thank you for your comments about our facilities and location. We are very lucky to be so centrally located here in Ogunquit.

Please come back and visit us again soon. We would be happy to welcome you back on another trip to Ogunquit. Until then, have a lovely fall and take care.

Best Wishes,