“Call it "Amazing by the Sea"”

The Anchorage By the Sea
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Call it "Amazing by the Sea"”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed here on Mothers Day weekend 2012. Funny that another reviewer from the Albany NY area was there this same weekend. I found Anchorage by the Sea when looking on the web for a place in Ogunquit that had a pool. The pictures on Anchorage's website do not do justice to the spectacular scenery where the complex is situated - you have to see it in person to truly experience the natural beauty of Ogunquit's seashore.

The room was average as far as decor goes (we did the 2 full-sized beds). I found the bed to be uncomfortable on my lower back after sleeping for a few hours, most likely because the mattress was not as firm as I'm used to (I'd still considered it "firm", though). There's a fridge, TV and safe in the room as well as a full bath. Like the entire complex, the room was very clean and well kept. I'm sure it's not an easy chore as the complex is huge, between the various units, pools, hot tubs and grounds. Check-in was easy and the staff was friendly.

The grounds are meticulously manicured and the landscaping is absolutely beautiful. If that isn't enough, the property is situated at the beginning of Marginal Way, complete with spectacular views of Ogunquit Beach and the Atlantic Ocean. The pools and hot tubs were quite nice; the outdoor pool is large and has a beautiful free-form shape. We even had a bit of entertainment while sitting in the gazebo overlooking the ocean...the drunken couple in the Adirondack chairs in front of us, who had emptied 3(!) bottles of wine. Quite amusing!

I highly recommend this place to anyone considering a trip to Ogunquit. It may seem a bit on the pricey side, but it's well worth it when you see what you get for the money.

Room Tip: The second floor in the long buildings surrounding the pool will have a better view of the ocean
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie A
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Charlie A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback here on TripAdvisor! I am so happy you were able to enjoy your Mother's Day weekend with us! It sounds like you were very pleased with our waterfront location. The views are pretty amazing! I am also happy to hear you found the grounds to be so well taken care of. That is something we pride ourselves on here at the Anchorage. I'm sorry to hear you found your mattress to be uncomfortable. It is definitely difficult to please every guest in that area as everyone has their own personal comfort preference as you mentioned. We do appreciate your feedback though.
Charlie, thank you for deeming us "Amazing" and please come back and visit us again in the future!

Christin R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Albany, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We spent Mother's Day weekend at the Anchorage. It was wonderful in everyway. Everyone from 6 - 70 had a great time. The new pool and the Surf Point Grille are great additions to an already beautiful property.

Room Tip: Most rooms on the main property have a decent view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear Jennifer P,

Thank you for giving us such a great review! I am so happy you and your family were able to spend your Mother's Day weekend with us! Wasn't it a beautiful weekend? I am happy to hear you were able to enjoy the Surf Point Grill and our new pool! You were probably some of the first guests to get to use it! We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Stow, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This was a 20 years anniversary get away. From Sunday night till Tuesday plus a 5 Star restaurant meal included for two, this can't be beat in May. The rooms are immaculate with a king size bed and an incredible view of the Ocean. The location on the Marginal Way, a stunning shore side path that passes right in front of the motel takes you to the famous Ogunquit Beach. It was quiet on at the end of the second floor building plus closer to the views. The maintenance and cleanliness of the entire resort was top notch. We loved it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lisa G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback here on TripAdvisor! I am so happy you were able to enjoy your 20th anniversary with us! Congratulations! It's wonderful to hear you were pleased with your oceanfront room and our property's convenient location. It's also great to hear you found our property to be so well maintained and clean. That is certainly something we pride ourselves on. We truly hope you visit us again soon. Enjoy the rest of your spring!

Best Regards,
Somersworth, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I wanted a weekend away, by myself, with an ocean view in a beautiful area. I've always loved Ogunquit and knew this hotel was where I wanted to be. It was an excellent weekend! The ocean view was fantastic from my room--exactly what I wanted, with a lovely porch to sit out on to read a book. Even saw the sunrise with no obstructions. The room was large and VERY clean. Plenty of space, a frig that was just the right size, wifi, and comfy bed. The staff was extremely helpful with any questions I had. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Momsretreat
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Momsretreat,
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Anchorage! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback here on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear you were able to enjoy your "mom's retreat" at the Anchorage. It sounds like you had a great time relaxing and enjoying our oceanfront views. I am also happy to hear you found our staff to be helpful. We pride ourselves on putting forward the best customer service possible. We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Merrimack, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 28, 2012

How lucky for us to be able to make a last minute reservation at this beautiful oceanfront resort in Ogunquit Maine during April vacation week. The Anchorage by the Sea has all the amenities you need to have a comfortable but luxurious vacation. The ocean views are spectacular, especially if you have a second floor room. The bed was very comfortable and the room clean with the added benefit of a refrigerator. It is the location which makes this place great. Restaurants and shops are but a short walk away and the famous Marginal Way abuts the property. I enjoyed sitting on the green lawn in a white adirondack chair looking out over the blue ocean, watching others enjoying the beauty of it all. It was the perfect place to relax and get in the right frame of mind anticipating a very stressful week to come. Wish I was still there!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have better ocean view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 25inpuntacana
AnchorageME, Public Relations Manager at The Anchorage By the Sea, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear 25inpuntacana,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Anchorage! I am beyond pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you very much for all the lovely pictures you provided. It indeed looks like you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad our beautiful and serene waterfront location helped you relax before your stressful week! We very much look forward to seeing you again soon!

Boston, MA
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed here on a long weekend April 14-16. The rooms were immaculate. The fridge was perfect for snacks, nice tv, and free wifi in rooms. The bed was also comfortable. The location is perfect and it is a quick walk to downtown. Also a short drive into Kittery for shopping.

The ocean view behind the main buildings of the hotel is amazing and there are plenty of chairs to sit and relax. There is a gate that leads right onto Marginal Way. Also the restaurant on site had some decent pub fare and they will give you everything you need to sit outside with your food.

The Anchorage is a great spot for anyone looking for a relaxing oceanside weekend in Maine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chiefrocka28
Dear Chiefrock28,

Thank you for your positive comments about the Anchorage! I am glad you enjoyed your long weekend stay in April. It sounds like you were pleased with our ideal location and numerous amenities - for which, I am thrilled! We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future!

new york
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed here just one night on my way to Bar harbor to break the long drive. I chose this hotel based on TA reviews and location. I second to all the reviews. I stayed at Tower which is not a oceanfront area. The room we had was clean and well appointed with clean funitures. The beds were also very comfortable. The hotel is walkable distance to everything. My favourite part of the hotel is the fantastic ocean view from the property and cleanness.It was my first time Visiting Ogunquit. I would love to come back again to chill.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sip308,

Thank so for your kind feedback here on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your first stay at the Anchorage By the Sea! Our property definitely offers some amazing ocean views and I am so happy you were able to enjoy them. From all of us here at the Anchorage, we hope to see you again soon and enjoy the rest of your spring!